Why reduce the speed limit to 50mph on rural roads?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Porker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Gareth's assertion is spot on, if I may say so.

P.
Porker

Postby quintaton » Tue May 25, 2010 1:37 am

I live close to the wild moorlands of North Yorkshire; usually regarded as the area with some of the most challenging roads in the UK. In certain areas, the speed limits have been reduced to 50mph from 60mph. The net result is interesting, because whereas perhaps only 5% of drivers used to exceed the speed-limit, the figure is possibly now nearer 50%, and it is bringing ALL speed-limits into disrepute.

Of course, all these silly new limits are entirely unenforceable, except in the dream nanny-state of perpetual speed-cameras and black-box, satellite monitoring.

I have some wonderful photographs of a hidden cross-roads, obscured by trees, overgrown edges, worn out road markings and a complete absence of give-way signs. It is a well known accident spot so fas as narrow rural-roads go, so they rendered it "safe" by introducing a 50mph limit.

There are still no signs, no markings or warnings of any sort, but at least the accidents will of course be slightly slower than before; assuming that anyone was ever brave enough to exceed 50mph in the first place!!

It's what happens when dumb-ass politicians get involved in road-safety.
quintaton

Postby TripleS » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm

quintaton wrote:I live close to the wild moorlands of North Yorkshire....

You are immensely fortunate; I used to be similarly placed.

Welcome to AD-UK. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum