Mechanical ignorance

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Like many "younger" drivers who have always had a reliable car, my mechanical knowledge of the car is limited.

So could someone answer this question for me and either set my mind at rest or send me scuttling off to the garage?

After a 15 mile drive at urban and high speeds, my front wheels are warm to the touch.

I've had a fair bit of work done lately, including a major service and replacement of the driveshafts and one of the track rod ends. Fuel economy seems about the same, and I don't feel that I'm slowing quicker either with engine braking or if I freewheel.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Angus

Postby jont » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

So, as a younger driver who doesn't trust (some) garages and couldn't always afford a reliable car...
Tyres getting warm (especially in this weather) probably isn't too much to worry about.

Are the wheels themselves also warm, or just the tyres? One wheel being hotter than the others often points to a sticking brake caliper, but to have 2 fail simultaneously would seem unlikely.

Fronts being hotter than the rears may also not necessarily be of concern - front brakes will do a lot more work, and assuming a front engined car, they will absorb heat from the engine.

Is the car pulling to one side at all? A TRE being replaced would mean the car should have had its geometry checked/adjusted (or at very least "tracking"), and if this hasn't been done properly it could well pull one way or the other. Needs to be checked on a flat road so you're not mislead by road camber.

Even if the car doesn't pull, it's still possible the front toe is out by an equal amount on both sides, which will cause premature tyre wear, and possibly odd handling effects. A tyre place with a decent geo rig should be able to check and adjust this, although how accurately they can use it is another matter. Having "tracking" checked isn't as helpful, particularly if they use rear wheels to set the fronts rather than a proper laser alignment rig.
jont

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

Are we talking wheels or tyres?

'Warm to the touch' wheels are unlikely to be anything to worry about. When you brake, all that energy is converted to heat. If you've driven hard you should be able to fry a steak on the discs afterwards. :twisted:

Tyres also get warm, partly from being near the brakes and partly from internal flexing.

Obviously the faster/harder you drive the more heat you will notice.

If you've been driving gently and there is excessive heat it could be wheel bearing failure, sticking brakes or under inflated tyres. Otherwise, it's nothing to worry about. If you've cooked the brakes you'll smell it too. :wink:
zadocbrown

Postby Angus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am

It's the wheels that are warm. There is a very slight pull to one side and the steering wheel isn't centred now, and as the tyres are nearly at the level where I'd replace them, I'll get the tracking etc done at the same time.

I doubt it's the brakes, as in the last couple of miles to home I usually only need to brake a couple of times

It's the possibility of something like the wheel bearings that concerns me.
Angus

Postby jont » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

Angus wrote:It's the possibility of something like the wheel bearings that concerns me.

A wheel bearing dying can usually be heard as a road speed (rather than engine speed) variant whine from about 30mph up, and is often worse when cornering (and the failing wheel loaded) - eg worse on RH bends is likely to be LH side wheel bearing.

You can also feel for them if you jack the car up without loosening the wheel bolts and try rocking the wheel while holding it at 12 and 6 o'clock. Any free play would suggest a worn bearing.
jont

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:39 pm

jont wrote:
You can also feel for them if you jack the car up without loosening the wheel bolts and try rocking the wheel while holding it at 12 and 6 o'clock. Any free play would suggest a worn bearing.

Free play would give a klunk sound too, you will feel movement with a sudden stop. You will get some flex in the tyre wall, but this is more like a constant resistance
exportmanuk

Postby morsing » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 am

Wheel bearings use high temperature grease for a reason ;) They do get hot just rolling along, and brakes get very hot, even just braking a couple of times.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.
morsing

Postby Angus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 pm

I've been into the dealer today (forgot to get the book stamped when it was serviced) and asked. They said it was normal and more noticable with alloy wheels.

I jacked it up beforehand and there's no play in the wheel and it turns fairly easily.

Thanks for your answers
Angus

Return to General Car Chat Forum