Are non UK licence holders at risk?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby WS » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 am

I am a non-UK license holder.

I think I can make a good comparison between driving standards in Poland (also a few other Eastern European countries where I drove) and the UK. I think this is true that the average skills possessed by a British driver are higher than the average skills possessed by a Polish driver. I would say the same applies to at least a few other Eastern European countries such as Romania, Ukraine or Bulgaria. Not all of them though, as some countries, like Slovakia, seem to have quite good drivers. So there is a point in saying that some Eastern European drivers may present danger on British roads, but such a thesis can't be uniformly applied to all the countries I believe.

At the same time I don't see much difference in the skills of British and, for example, German drivers. Also road accident statistics for both countries confirm that.

What I am trying to say is that it is perhaps a matter of setting a certain standard, maybe the standard of the British L-test, and compare it with the standard of an equivalent test in other countries (to be checked on the spot in that country, not on every driver entering the UK). On that basis, the UK could either accept drivers from a given country on its roads or not.

PS. I personally would welcome changes in the Polish Highway Code that would make it the same as the British one.
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum