Number Plates (Carbon lettering)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Just hoping if we still have a serving traffic man/woman whether they can clarify if my 4 year old number plates with bs markings and correctly spaced, that have carbon effect lettering (Completely legal when i purchased them) are still legal as I am now being told they are not?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Standard Dave » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Not sure what you mean by Carbon effect lettering.

But if they have a BS mark and can be read by ANPR only the most pedantic officer would even look any further.
Standard Dave

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:41 pm

bs marked

Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm

DVLA states (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Pe ... /DG_181503)

"Characters on a number plate can be 3D, providing they meet all the other requirements, but honeycomb or other background patterns are not allowed."

which suggests that they need to be solid black rather than patterned. No idea how the letter of the law is applied though...

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Yea its just sick because anpr reads them this I know and they r bs marked and complied when i got them from halfruads. If i do get stopped and that hasn't happened in the st since 2006 when i got it I am saying there bs! and its a load of bs too!

My car was mot on 31st March 10 and passed but my side light and rear number plates bulbs (like bmw) are white led like the day running on newer audi and citroens so they shine white.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 pm

jbsportstech wrote: I am now being told they are not?

By?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby michael769 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:56 pm

They are not allowed under the current rules. But the rules do not apply retrospectively so as long as it was legal at the time then you can still use it.

But I'm not sure this was allowed 4 years ago so it might be worth checking if it was the case. If Halfords told you they were legal, I'm, not sure I'd trust that.

I would guess that most PCs would just accept the BS marking, so you'd probably only have an issue if it was checked by a PC who is also qualified vehicle examiner, and thus knew the minutiae of the regs.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:26 am

jbsportstech wrote:My car was mot on 31st March 10 and passed but my side light and rear number plates bulbs (like bmw) are white led like the day running on newer audi and citroens so they shine white.

Sounds like you should be getting a fine from the good-taste-police too :P :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Horse wrote:
jbsportstech wrote: I am now being told they are not?

By?

My friends motorcycle examinar however i do have bs markings.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:My car was mot on 31st March 10 and passed but my side light and rear number plates bulbs (like bmw) are white led like the day running on newer audi and citroens so they shine white.

Sounds like you should be getting a fine from the good-taste-police too :P :lol:

Chris

No you dont approve?

I dont think they look boy racer> Number plate ones look like modern bmw (white with slight blue instead is yellow)

Front quad led 501>

Regards James

jbsportstech

Return to General Car Chat Forum