'Unproven' Driving Safety Course Changes Gear

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:I did not shoot him down personally when I conversed with him on the matter. I was very careful to keep him on the path rather and had offered to have some drives with him. I also mentioned how well he had done to get where he was and how much better he is than when I was his age.

I hope he was suitably honoured. Has he taken you up on your kind offer? :P

OI, DT! Less of the onanist remarks, if you please :mrgreen:

No his rospa tutor told him his drive was pretty much faultless.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby PeterE » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:41 pm

ROG wrote:So PP is generally crap - no new news there then as I've heard it before from those that have done it

I would have thought formal motorway tuition was highly desirable, even if the rest of PP achieves little.

ROG wrote:Pity Sky did not have the inclination to find out what does work - such as seeing how those that passed the AD test fared...

Surely there is a huge self-selection bias in those who take advanced training and the AD test at any age. In general, you are likely to be both much more responsible, and to give more thought to driving, than the "average" motorist.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Horse » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:48 pm

StressedDave wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:I spoke to him about no need to tell daddy or contact the police. I am yet to be convinced avon and somerset police know what roadcraft or pull-push is as not one of the drivers I have seen applies it and nigel albright shares my views.

at least I'm fairly sure there isn't a huge cluster of POLCOLs down there caused by failure to pull-push steering

Or civvie crashes either, unless you know different.

'Steering' is one of the biggest red herrings about 'advanced driving' (and 'coaching', for that matter) - there are plenty more far important things to be concerned about.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:38 pm

... and yet, steering is one of the most satisfying things to get "right" (whatever the method). The feeling of being in complete control, not taken by surprise by any change in direction, and able to react smoothly to the directional inputs required, is a feeling akin to godliness, when it's working. Of course, other factors come into play also, particularly entry speed to hazards, but when it all comes together, it's a great feeling.

Personally, I only use PP for slow speed stuff now, and out on the open road my ambition is to achieve the "flow" of the car along the road with as little steering input as possible (cf DT "start to steer") but all methods have their place.

Interestingly (to me, anyway), on my recent RoSPA retest, my examiner commented that I always PP'd. I thought I'd been using mostly fixed input :? but from a different place in the car, apparently it seemed thus. So even when you think you're doing something, your passenger may have their own, possibly different view, of what it is.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jbsportstech » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Yes to set the record straight I believe pull push is a good method of steering!

However I do not just look for rigid adherance to it and then start bashing my drum when thats all I don't!

Just to clear that up.

When I say I was unhappy with a particular persons drive it will be more than just the steering that I believe was not up to standard. My mother my sister niether use pull push and I don't moan about there driving. Apart from the parking dings my mum asks me to sort on her car. :D
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:... and yet, steering is one of the most satisfying things to get "right" (whatever the method). The feeling of being in complete control, not taken by surprise by any change in direction, and able to react smoothly to the directional inputs required, is a feeling akin to godliness, when it's working. Of course, other factors come into play also, particularly entry speed to hazards, but when it all comes together, it's a great feeling.

Here here.
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:34 pm

John Lyon used to say cornering was the real fun side of driving.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Standard Dave » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

jcochrane wrote:John Lyon used to say cornering was the real fun side of driving.

It is certainly where the skill is used and where you can get the most satisfaction, any idiot can drive fast in a straight line.
Standard Dave

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum