It's going to break . . . but what & when?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:42 am

1.7 TD Astra.

A couple of times (both Saturdays . . . odd) it's been at tickover and the revs have risen an fallen about every two or three seconds - but the speedo's working in sympathy like another rev counter.

Any ideas what's going to fail and when? My only guess is the ECO.

Oh, it's done 150k miles.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fungus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 pm

The wifes 306 HDi does a similar thing. Speedo reaches 140mph and the rev counter follows it round to 6000 rpm. A few seconds and it all returns to normal. This has been going on for about a year now.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:44 pm

:D That's OK, then, and ta for the reassurance - this is only a few 'mph' and slight increase in revs.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm

fungus wrote:The wifes 306 HDi does a similar thing. Speedo reaches 140mph and the rev counter follows it round to 6000 rpm. A few seconds and it all returns to normal. This has been going on for about a year now.

Tell her she's heading for a lengthy ban :wink:
zadocbrown

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 pm

zadocbrown wrote:
fungus wrote:The wifes 306 HDi does a similar thing. Speedo reaches 140mph and the rev counter follows it round to 6000 rpm. A few seconds and it all returns to normal. This has been going on for about a year now.

Tell her she's heading for a lengthy ban :wink:

Many years ago, one of the motorcycle monthly mags ran a competition for the best motorcycling tall-tales, 'shaggy dog' story.

A runner up was about a bloke out for a blast along a dual carriageway, when he passed a police car joining on a slip road.

He stopped about half a mile along the road, to be joined by the police car, the driver wanted a 'chat'.

"Why were you going so fast?" was the question.

"Well, officer, my bike was back-firing through the carbs every time I closed the throttle - I was afraid the bike would catch fire - and the only way I could stop it was to keep the throttle wide open!"

"Hmmm . . . so how come you were able to stop as soon as you saw me?"

"I was so scared I wet myself and put the fire out!"
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum