Big Roundabout Rules

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby 7db » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 am

Big Err wrote:Roll on Panto Season!

It's behind us.
7db

Postby Adamantus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Who'd have thought such a big stir would be causes around so small a thing. :shock:
Adamantus

Postby waremark » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Adamantus wrote:Who'd have thought such a big stir would be causes around so small a thing. :shock:

You will have to forgive us. Many of us have been around here for a few years, and have met up on ADUK driving days. We try to be friendly (and even helpful) to newcomers!
waremark

Postby Adamantus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 pm

You have been helpful, I'm glad you've found a common group to share your special interests with.
Adamantus

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Adamantus wrote:You have been helpful, I'm glad you've found a common group to share your special interests with.

I hope it works for you too. Anyhow please accept a warm welcome from me. :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
martine wrote:Welcome Adamantus!

Adamantus wrote:Every topic I start seems to result in in-fighting today. :roll:

...we're a pleasant, grown-up bunch (TripleS excepted :wink: ).

I take offence at being labelled as such. I'm firmly on TripleS's side of the fence... except I'm not as pleasant as he is! :lol:

Well thanks, but taking my side is as good a way as any to get yourself condemned for ever more.
Even I don't think I'm right all the time: Von's cornered that market. ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Russ_H » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Adamantus wrote:All really helpful. Bang on with the map, that was exactly it.

[url]
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 00142&z=20[/url]

As you can see here, the one labelled Kpark with the multi-coloured bus in it. Follow it around following Kpark and you end up going to bank foot! You have to switch to the right as mentioned to get to Kingston Park. So I used to keep following to Kpark but ended up with some git blowing his horn at me. I just use the one on it's right now.

Welcome from a fellow Geordie.

I know this roundabout pretty well. It's not easy to deal with. Coming from Cowgate, I think you've got the right idea. Use the lane where the bus is, the one marked for Kingston Park, but be prepared for other people to do strange things. Has anyone mentioned not to go round with another driver?

I think an even worse route is turning right from Kingston Park to the A1(S). Who designs these things?
Russ_H

Postby Adamantus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Russ_H wrote:
Adamantus wrote:All really helpful. Bang on with the map, that was exactly it.

[url]
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 00142&z=20[/url]

As you can see here, the one labelled Kpark with the multi-coloured bus in it. Follow it around following Kpark and you end up going to bank foot! You have to switch to the right as mentioned to get to Kingston Park. So I used to keep following to Kpark but ended up with some git blowing his horn at me. I just use the one on it's right now.

Welcome from a fellow Geordie.

I know this roundabout pretty well. It's not easy to deal with. Coming from Cowgate, I think you've got the right idea. Use the lane where the bus is, the one marked for Kingston Park, but be prepared for other people to do strange things. Has anyone mentioned not to go round with another driver?

I think an even worse route is turning right from Kingston Park to the A1(S). Who designs these things?

Hi Russ_h,

I'm actually from Cumbria originally but have been here since 2003 on and off, have learnt most of the roads by now. I don't really go between Kingston park and the A1 much so can't really remmeber what that route's like, I just know that the whole thing's a little intimidating.

One other thing. What do you do if there's a roundabout with three lanes, one left, one which goes straight on, and the right lane which goes straight on and right. The roundabout I'm thinking about (Four Lane Ends, next to Kwik Fit, Newcastle) has only one exit lane which means to lanes fight it out. I assume that you give way to your left?

Entrance:
http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=four+lane+ends,+newcastle&sll=55.009914,-1.576281&sspn=0.007629,0.022724&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4+Lane+Ends,+Newcastle+Upon+Tyne,+Tyne+And+Wear+NE7,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.009157,-1.578383&spn=0.001907,0.005681&z=18&layer=c&cbll=55.009236,-1.578216&panoid=zTXMJiTfcSEbxLPGODqnSQ&cbp=12,234.59,,0,21.15

Exit:
http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=four+lane+ends,+newcastle&sll=55.009914,-1.576281&sspn=0.007629,0.022724&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4+Lane+Ends,+Newcastle+Upon+Tyne,+Tyne+And+Wear+NE7,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.008997,-1.579043&spn=0.001907,0.005681&z=18&layer=c&cbll=55.009064,-1.578642&panoid=Et7vjUqpuaHxryhqKzfHpw&cbp=12,229.09,,0,10

Russ, I'm sure you'll be familiar with the competitive nature of this one? :lol:
Adamantus

Postby Russ_H » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Adamantus wrote:One other thing. What do you do if there's a roundabout with three lanes, one left, one which goes straight on, and the right lane which goes straight on and right. The roundabout I'm thinking about (Four Lane Ends, next to Kwik Fit, Newcastle) has only one exit lane which means to lanes fight it out. I assume that you give way to your left?

Russ, I'm sure you'll be familiar with the competitive nature of this one? :lol:

Yes, I know it well. If I'm going straight ahead, I use the middle of the three lanes, and keep a close eye on the lanes on both sides of the car. Planners justify this kind of thing on the basis that different drivers move off at different speeds. So, for example, I, in the middle lane, might measure up as a six second man, and the person in the right hand lane might be a three second man (or woman). When the drivers move away, the theory is that the different styles of driver will not interfere with each other.

Back to the roundabout rule - don't go round with anyone, and try not to get alongside anyone, even briefly.
Russ_H

Postby Adamantus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Russ_H wrote:...Planners justify this kind of thing on the basis that different drivers move off at different speeds. So, for example, I, in the middle lane, might measure up as a six second man, and the person in the right hand lane might be a three second man (or woman). When the drivers move away, the theory is that the different styles of driver will not interfere with each other.

Back to the roundabout rule - don't go round with anyone, and try not to get alongside anyone, even briefly.

Good tip. I've had serious issues on that one with going alongside, but I think I'll just let the other person go first, seems easier. About the planning, that seems crazy. I can't see why a roundabout like that can't just have traffic lights, even temporary ones would be better for buzy times.
Adamantus

Postby Big Err » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:00 am

Russ_H wrote:Planners justify this kind of thing on the basis that different drivers move off at different speeds.

I wouldn't give Planners that much credit! :lol:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum