North Yorkshire bendy bits

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Spent the last 2 weeks on hols in North Yorkshire and may I say what lovely roads you have around there. We were based at Robin Hoods Bay (near Whitby) and the roads across the moors are delicious. I probably did more overtakes (some good, some not) in the last 2 weeks than I've done all year. At home in Bristol, even the potentially good rural roads seem to be increasinsingly restricted to 50 or even 40.

For those going on the Whitby drive - enjoy yourselves!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Big Err » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:43 pm

martine wrote:even the potentially good rural roads seem to be increasinsingly restricted to 50 or even 40.

An increasing trend that I have experienced to be coming from people who move into the countryside, buy a house next to a good section of A or B and sometimes unclassified road then campaign vigorously for the NSL to be revoked and replaced by a lesser limit.

I often ask the question of these people if they slow down to 40 or less whenever they pass a house on a rural road. I think you can guess the response if they are being honest.

Eric.
Big Err

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:34 pm

martine wrote:Spent the last 2 weeks on hols in North Yorkshire and may I say what lovely roads you have around there. We were based at Robin Hoods Bay (near Whitby) and the roads across the moors are delicious. I probably did more overtakes (some good, some not) in the last 2 weeks than I've done all year. At home in Bristol, even the potentially good rural roads seem to be increasinsingly restricted to 50 or even 40.

For those going on the Whitby drive - enjoy yourselves!

Hello Martin, glad you had a good time up here - did you also get to visit Runswick Bay?

Thanks for the reminder about the Whitby day - I'm intending to enjoy myself with that one!

Best wishes all,
Dave - in semi-clowning mode again.
TripleS

Postby martine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:43 pm

TripleS wrote:Hello Martin, glad you had a good time up here - did you also get to visit Runswick Bay?

No, where is it?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:51 pm

Big Err wrote:I often ask the question of these people if they slow down to 40 or less whenever they pass a house on a rural road. I think you can guess the response if they are being honest.

On my route to work, there is a 3 mile A road with some nice twisty bits and a long straight half way along. The first part of the road runs through a small village and there is a 30mph limit on this bit of road, which seems to be regularly ignored. The local residents complained to the police/council who dutifully sent a man with a speed gun down to take some stats and pull over the worst offenders.

And the worst offenders? 65% of the people caught were local residents who didn't believe the limit applied to them?!?! :roll:

Some great roads in Yorkshire - I remember driving the Snake Pass a couple of times in the Scooby (just don't look down!!! :lol: )

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:04 am

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:Hello Martin, glad you had a good time up here - did you also get to visit Runswick Bay?

No, where is it?

Runswick Bay is a few miles further up the coast from Whitby, before you come to Staithes, and then further still there is Saltburn-by-the Sea.

RB is another of these little old fishing villages with lovely cottages on a steep hillside looking down into the bay. It tends to be a quieter place than Robin Hoods Bay and Staithes, i.e. not so obviously tourist orientated.

Maybe have a look next time eh?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Big Err » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 am

ScoobyChris wrote:And the worst offenders? 65% of the people caught were local residents who didn't believe the limit applied to them?!?! :roll:

It's always a bonus when a politician who campaigns vociferously for a speed limit gets caught! :wink:

Talking of politicians, when the IAM launched its Drive Check this year with free invites given to politicians. I know that up here the uptake has been really poor, and inparticular of two local groups who only got responses from politicians who didn't drive!

What does that tell you?

Eric.
Big Err

Postby martine » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:37 am

[quote="Big ErrTalking of politicians, when the IAM launched its Drive Check this year with free invites given to politicians. I know that up here the uptake has been really poor, and inparticular of two local groups who only got responses from politicians who didn't drive!

What does that tell you?

Eric.[/quote]

One of the local Bristol MPs has taken the offer of a DriveCheck up (out of 8 ).
Last edited by martine on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martine

Postby Big Err » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:08 pm

martine wrote:One of the local Bristol MPs has taken the offer of a DriveCheck up (out of 8).

Well done, it's better than none!

Eric.
Big Err

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Big Err wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:And the worst offenders? 65% of the people caught were local residents who didn't believe the limit applied to them?!?! :roll:

It's always a bonus when a politician who campaigns vociferously for a speed limit gets caught! :wink:

Talking of politicians, when the IAM launched its Drive Check this year with free invites given to politicians. I know that up here the uptake has been really poor, and inparticular of two local groups who only got responses from politicians who didn't drive!

What does that tell you?

Eric.

A few did drives from Parliament to Hendon.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 pm

when is the Whitby day ?
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Roadcraft wrote:when is the Whitby day ?

Ah good evening S1 / Roadcraft.

Saturday 12 August. May we look forward to the pleasure of your company?

BTW, there is further information in the Events department.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:10 pm

TripleS wrote:

Ah good evening Roadcraft.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I was genuinely thinking of it....but will be on holiday on Aug 12th..

Nevermind..perhaps some other time...
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:35 pm

Roadcraft wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Ah good evening Roadcraft.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I was genuinely thinking of it....but will be on holiday on Aug 12th.

Nevermind..perhaps some other time...

Oh yes I was forgetting - almost birthday time. Many Happy Returns in advance then. I expect we'll get together one of these days.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to General Car Chat Forum