A valuable LP?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm

One of my neighbours has unearhed a Rolling Stones LP, and I'm given to understand that it might have significant value, so the question is: does anybody know anything about this?

The LP is housed in a plain white cardboard sleeve, with a label stuck on it, and the label contains this information:

ROLLING STONES

Dark Horses

Side One

SAD DAY
TIME IS ON MY SIDE
CONGRATULATIONS
BLUE TURNS TO GREY
LOOK WHAT YOU DONE
* FORTUNE TELLER

Side Two

SURPRISE SURPRISE
ONE MORE TRY
RIDE ON BABY
MY GIRL
EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY
* I’VE BEEN LOVING YOU TOO LONG

* Live

The record itself has the usual circular labels on it, but they are plain white and all they show is a handwritten '1' on one side, and a handwritten '2' on the other side. It appears very few copies of this were produced, and they were only issued for promotional purposes or something, so this might have appreciable value to a collector.

I don't know what to make of this as I'm more a Rachmaninov enthusiast myself, rather than a Rolling Stones fan, so I wonder if anybody else can shed any light on it. Any thoughts?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby daz6215 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Did you find it amongst your gramophone collection Dave? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
daz6215

Postby jont » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:09 pm

You might get more luck asking on PH Dave, or are you still unable to get on there?
http://pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.as ... =193&mid=0
jont

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:33 pm

daz6215 wrote:Did you find it amongst your gramophone collection Dave? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

No. I do still have some records from way back, but this one isn't mine.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Russ_H » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:33 pm

TripleS wrote:One of my neighbours has unearhed a Rolling Stones LP, and I'm given to understand that it might have significant value, so the question is: does anybody know anything about this?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Dave,

You might like to post a message on

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum.php

It's a friendly forum.

Regards,

Russ
Russ_H

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:36 pm

jont wrote:You might get more luck asking on PH Dave, or are you still unable to get on there?
http://pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.as ... =193&mid=0

Thanks, Jon; but they gave me the bum's rush (entirely without justification :evil: ) some months ago, and evidently they haven't yet seen the error of they're ways.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 am

Can't find any mention of an LP called "Dark Horses". Wikipedia says that "Time is on My Side" was released as a single (with Congratulations on the B-side) in 1964, so you'd expect this LP to be around the same time and none of the albums realeased around that time had "Time is on My Side" on them.

I think it would be well worth visiting a reputable valuer or two. Beware cos some may not be honest. My Dad had a gold watch valued and was told it wasn't worth repairing, I've now had it repaired (for £95) and have been told to insure it for £1000). So, if one of the valuers says it's worthless and he'll dispose of it for you - don't!

What record label is it? Who owns that label now? They may be worth talking to.

Good luck

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 am

Russ_H wrote:
TripleS wrote:One of my neighbours has unearhed a Rolling Stones LP, and I'm given to understand that it might have significant value, so the question is: does anybody know anything about this?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Dave,

You might like to post a message on

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum.php

It's a friendly forum.

Regards,

Russ

Thanks, Russ. I'll try that.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 am

adiNigel wrote:Can't find any mention of an LP called "Dark Horses". Wikipedia says that "Time is on My Side" was released as a single (with Congratulations on the B-side) in 1964, so you'd expect this LP to be around the same time and none of the albums realeased around that time had "Time is on My Side" on them.

I think it would be well worth visiting a reputable valuer or two. Beware cos some may not be honest. My Dad had a gold watch valued and was told it wasn't worth repairing, I've now had it repaired (for £95) and have been told to insure it for £1000). So, if one of the valuers says it's worthless and he'll dispose of it for you - don't!

What record label is it? Who owns that label now? They may be worth talking to.

Good luck

Nigel

This is a record belonging to a neighbour, and I merely offered to seek information about its origin and likely value. Something I saw on a website two or three weeks ago suggested it might by worth $3000/4000, but that might be nonsense: I simply don't know, and I don't even know if the owner is interested in selling it.

As for the label, there is no further information beyond what I put in my original post. There is no mention of any record company. It appears this might be something quite out of the ordinary, but I simply don't know what it all amounts to.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 am

IIRC - and it's from 30odd years ago, from friends at college seriously into music - 'white labels' were very prized (and rare) possessions, given out by record company reps to music shop staff as pre-release publicity.

However, if a discography suggests that the album never existed, then perhaps it was a pre-but never-released?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 am

Oh, even less help: the place where they could have told you exactly what is was, 'Vinyl Revival' in Newbury, shut down a month ago after 25 years, as the owners retired :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Horse wrote:IIRC - and it's from 30odd years ago, from friends at college seriously into music - 'white labels' were very prized (and rare) possessions, given out by record company reps to music shop staff as pre-release publicity.

However, if a discography suggests that the album never existed, then perhaps it was a pre-but never-released?

At the moment I'm inclined to suspect that's what it is. Anyhow I've asked about it on the site Russ suggested, so we'll see what happens.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Looks as though teh Stones were with Decca records at the time this may have been pressed so it may be worth your friend emailing them http://www.decca.com/.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Horse » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Any answer from the other boards?
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum