Short term insurance recommendations

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 pm

All the best laid plans and that, but I'm now in a situation where my new car has been delayed by a month and so my current insurance will run out before it's delivered. The new car will be insured on my behalf and so I don't need my own policy to cover it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for short-term insurance cover, say a month? Google turns up quite a few of them but the quotes vary wildly and I'd appreciate any personal experiences. In terms of cover, I'd just be looking at a simple policy that covered me fully comp for SDP and a thousand miles tops.

My other option is just to renew with an annual policy and then cancel it when the new car arrives, although there seem to be hefty penalties for doing this, but it does give me the luxury of being covered if the new car is delayed further.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Have you asked your current insurer about extending your policy, as opposed to renewing and cancelling?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Have you asked your current insurer about extending your policy, as opposed to renewing and cancelling?

Didn't even realise that was an option. Will give them a ring when I get home. :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Recent experiences of DayInsure and eCar for very short term cover suggest that eCar is sometimes significantly cheaper although the quote process is correspondingly more complex ;-) Don't know how they compare for periods of a month or so, though.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

DayInsure seem to focus on on-off insurance and the quote I got for 28 days cover was eye-watering :lol: Will give eCar a go though and see if they can provide anything more reasonable.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Cancellation charges vary enormously; you may well find an insurer who only makes a nominal charge for cancellation. Try Admiral, I have an idea they were reasonable on this.
waremark

Return to General Car Chat Forum