Ford diesel in snow

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby LeanMan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm just starting out on my advanced training, and my neighbour has asked me to recommend a car for him. He wants one that is good in the snowy conditions we all expect. He wants to put his normal car away for a few months, and buy one cheap to run from Dec to Feb. He's not bothered about make model colour style etc, and he's not after any fancy esp or anything, just one that is "good in snow" (his words). I mentioned the advanced course but he's not interested, he knows it's how you drive it, but he just wants a run around that is okay, and better than his BMW. Someone has suggested a Ford fiesta 1.8 diesel finesse, x reg, £1000. Can anyone offer any comments on the Ford, or recommend another, up to about £1500 max. I've no idea why he's asked me, so I would appreciate anyones help. Sorry if this is not the normal post, but I thought you guys would have some idea.

Cheers
Peter
LeanMan

Postby hir » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Why not suggest to him that he gets anything that's 4x4 and puts winter tyres on it.

Or, if 4x4 is too expensive, get a front wheel drive and put winter tyres on it.

Hope this helps
hir

Postby martine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Peter and welcome!

I suspect anything front wheel drive with skinny tyres would be best. I expect Gareth here will remind us of the virtues of winter tyres - it would be a lot more cost effective that for sure.

Out of interest who are you doing your advanced training with? Enjoying it?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby LeanMan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Hello and thanks to both of you. I think the budget restricts the choice of car, and I think he wants something different than the BMW so that his wife can drive it, she's not a lover of the BMW or anything rear wheel. When you say skinny tyres, do you mean narrow? How could he tell if the Ford (or similar) has them? As you can see I have no idea why he asked me, I don't even know what difference the diesel makes, I assume its something to do with the torque at low speeds. i suppose I'm learning as much as him!!!

I haven't chosen a place yet, due to possible job changes, but it will probably be up north somewhere.

Cheers
Peter
LeanMan

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 pm

A supermini sized car on normal profile steel wheels are about as skinny as the tyres will get.

I'd also say 4x4 is the way to go if your worried about snow.

The focus I drove at work last year was quite capable in snow more so that a Volvo V70 T5 or a single deck bus, that was a 1.9 TDCi with normal tyres and steel wheels pretty standard and coped just fine.
Standard Dave

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:58 am

Panda 4x4
zadocbrown

Postby firstmk1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi Peter,

I have a similar aged Ford Focus which I drove in the snow last winter. The tyres were 185mm wide and nothing special but I managed reasonable well, however, a number of people have told me that their Focus is rubbish in the now so maybe it is how you drive it?

I was trusted by a number of friends to drive their cars in the snow and I found that some were much better than others (all had summer tyres). Best was an Audi A6 3.0TDi with quattro and an auto 'box which felt very secure on slush and snow. Worst was a BWM 320d in sport trim (wide sports tyres) which took numerous attempts to get out of the car park due to a slight uphill slope. Once on the main roads it felt fine and was a giggle in the flat (empty) car park at Tesco :twisted:

I've fitted cold weather tyres to my Focus this year to see if offer a distinct advantage. I would suggest this is the cheapest option rather than buying a winter specific vehicle...unless your neighbour want's a Snowcat!

Cheers,
Ian
Ian
firstmk1

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:47 pm

I can confirm that a BMW with winter tyres will work much better in the snow than a front wheel drive car with regular tyres - but the winter tyres would use up to half his budget without providing an additional vehicle. Additional vehicle plus winter tyres is probably outside his budget.
waremark

Postby LeanMan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi everyone, and thanks for the help. I spoke to him this evening, and he says he is going to look for a Fiesta (goodness knows what happened to the Focus) a 306 or a Corsa. I think you're right about winter tyres on an additional vehicle is out of budget.

Best wishes
Peter
LeanMan

Postby Garrison » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am

Light petrol car with high profile and not overly wide tyres for that particular model and high ground clearance.

Diesel may give more torque at idle and turbo diesel has a sharp increase in torque when the turbo kicks in - both undesirable when grip is low.

I remember the Citroen AX and Peugeot 205 was particularly good.

Of the newer cars, Ford Fusion 1.4 petrol with 165 or 175 width, 14 inch tyres?

Garrison
Garrison

Postby jont » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Garrison wrote:I remember the Citroen AX and Peugeot 205 was particularly good.

Yup, small, underpowered cars can be surprisingly effective in rubbish conditions:
jont

Return to General Car Chat Forum