A car-finding challenge

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:07 am

ScoobyChris wrote:The 1-series was a bit less inspiring in 116d and 118d guise and I think if I was after one, I'd be going for either the 120d or 123d.

Chris

When I had a test drive in the 1 series before I bought my Jetta I was quite impressed by the 116 petrol.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby daz6215 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 am

Remember the film an inconvenient truth! If Al Gore is backing it you've got to smell a rat! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

and why is it there are other planets in the solar system that are all heating up at the same time we are? that dont have us on them!

Bring back Robin Hood! lol :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And it would be the BMW for me Chris!
daz6215

Postby Renny » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Renny wrote:Have an enjoyable day :lol: Must try the 1-series as the price difference betweena 118d and a Cooper D with a few options is not too big, especially looking at a demo 118.

I've just ordered a 118d Sport for delivery in Feb, beat the VAT increase, but stuck with a "60" plate.

Renny
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:28 pm

I was a passenger in a Prius for the first time yesterday. Weird, yet somehow impressive. Zero RFL, and 50-60 mpg from essentially a 1.8 petrol automatic. Not great performance, or, subjectively from the passenger seat, handling (although that could be more down to the driver), but you can see the economics at work. Fairly pricey to start with but starts to pay you back handsomely almost immediately.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Renny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I was a passenger in a Prius for the first time yesterday. Weird, yet somehow impressive. Zero RFL, and 50-60 mpg from essentially a 1.8 petrol automatic. Not great performance, or, subjectively from the passenger seat, handling (although that could be more down to the driver), but you can see the economics at work. Fairly pricey to start with but starts to pay you back handsomely almost immediately.

I have considered the Prius, but the fuel consumption is not significantly better than alternatives (such as the BMW). It may suit urban running, but apparently struggles to deliver real economy in real-world A, B and M-way road usage, doesn't handle that well and uses far more precious metals and has additional mass over the mainstream alternatives. The BMW is; £30 RFL, with better performance and handling, and is quite well equipped for a similar price if you avoid going daft with the options list.

I was tempted to look at the Nissan Leaf (all electric), but it is not yet available. It might have been an alternative, although expensive and unproven as to how good the residuals will be.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I think where the Prius really comes into its own (currently) is if you commute into the centre of London and can save on paying the congestion charge. For everything else, it didn't tick any boxes for me :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby waremark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:28 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:I think where the Prius really comes into its own (currently) is if you commute into the centre of London and can save on paying the congestion charge. For everything else, it didn't tick any boxes for me :D

Chris

A Prius owner told me last night that he has received notification that congestion charge exemption for the Prius is ending - he has two years notice, but apparently new buyers will not get the concession at all.
waremark

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum