Garmin Nuvi 1490T or 1690 ?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby PipK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Has anyone here got either of these? Would you recommend one over the other?

None of the big high street stores seem to stock the 1490T. The only web based retailer I'd trust buying from is Amazon and it's just £138 there. The annoying thing is the 1 - 2 month delivery time. The Car Audio Centre have a store near me and do it for £160 which is a big jump.

The 1690T is a lot cheaper on Amazon that the high street, and is available for 48 hour delivery. It's price is £153

If it wasn't for the 1 - 2 month delivery, I would definitely go for the £138 1490T for it's 5 inch screen, louder speakers and free speed camera/traffic updates for life.

But I don't want to wait that long, so the choice is:
1490T £160, 5inch screen, free speed camera/traffic info
or
1690 £153, 4.3 inch screen, nüLink! real-time services (incl speed camera / traffic info) £70/year 1st year free

What puzzles me is that there are some shops that value the 1690 much higher e.g. Argos £280, Comet £220. So you'd think the 1690 would be more of a bargain. So I'm wondering whether this nüLink! real-time services that you have to pay £70/year for is really any better than the free speed camera/traffic info that you get on the 1490T?

Thanks
PipK

Postby hanse cronje » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm

dont use garmin but you need to search harder

1490t is £126 at pixmania
and pixmania are currys so fairly secure, we got a fridge from them with no issues
hanse cronje

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 pm

In the world of Tomtom, Live HD Traffic, which is updated via an internal simcard, is far better than TMC Traffic, which is available free for life on some units. The data is more accurate and far more detailed, and I find it useful. Previous experience with the 'Free for Life' data from both Garmin and Tomtom was that the data was not of good enough quality to be worth using. If NuLink is similar to Live (I cannot confirm) then the subscription may be worth it.

Are the different retailers by any chance including different deals on the subscription?
waremark

Postby martine » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 pm

PipK wrote:...Amazon and it's just £138 there. The annoying thing is the 1 - 2 month delivery time.

When Amazon quote long delivery times it's because they are importing it from another source - I wouldn't trust them to get it at all - esp. if other retailers are not showing any stock. Amazon in my experience are good, very good on normal items.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Return to General Car Chat Forum