Top Gear's three "wise" men.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GJD » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 pm

zadocbrown wrote:Of course, the 100m rule is oversimplistic even for those that are aware of it. I would probably never have fog lights on with someone close behind, for example.

It is oversimplistic. As well as your situation, in fog at night, while a pedestrian in dark clothing might not be visible 100m away, the normal tail lights of a car may well be. So I wouldn't use rear fog lights then either.

But oversimplistic though it is, even if everyone just unthinkingly put their rear fog lights on and left them on when visibility was below 100m, rather than unthinkingly putting them on and leaving them on as soon as they see a little bit of fog, however thin, that would be a massive improvement.
GJD

Postby Big Err » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:26 pm

GJD wrote:But oversimplistic though it is, even if everyone just unthinkingly put their rear fog lights on and left them on when visibility was below 100m, rather than unthinkingly putting them on and leaving them on as soon as they see a little bit of fog, however thin, that would be a massive improvement.

Isn't this the problem though? How many times have you been in a line of traffic, when you've encountered a little bit of mist or fog and the driver in front has immediately switched on their rear fog lights? Do they believe that suddenly they have become invisible to you?

The other situation is the fastest car on the motorway has its rear fog lights on...... Why?

Happy new year
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:06 pm

TripleS wrote: It does rather sound as if the OP doesn't even want to hear different viewpoints, let alone give them fair consideration.

Indeed.

Hold on, I have an idea . . .

. .

Do you think he'll see our answers now? :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby gfoot » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't really care if the car in front of mine in a queue has its fog lights on, as they invariably have super bright brake lights permanently illuminated, so I'm blinded anyway.

Maybe they could make brake lights automatically turn off when the car is stationary, at least when parking sensors detect a car behind you. To be honest though I've never been convinced by the various back-of-the-queue exceptions.
gfoot

Postby vanman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 pm

gfoot wrote:I don't really care if the car in front of mine in a queue has its fog lights on, as they invariably have super bright brake lights permanently illuminated, so I'm blinded anyway.

Maybe they could make brake lights automatically turn off when the car is stationary, at least when parking sensors detect a car behind you. To be honest though I've never been convinced by the various back-of-the-queue exceptions.

One instance of back of the queue exception happened to me some years ago. I had to stop for a Stop/Go system. I had engaged the handbrake and selected nuteral, as the Stop/Go was changing and I had just selected 1st the following car ran into the back of me. Since then I always keep a good gap in front and keep the brake lights on remaining in 1st until the car behind has stopped. That way I can move forward if the car behind still has not seen me. :wink:
vanman

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum