Stop-start system

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 pm

PeterE wrote:I have to say I was a bit unnerved by the engine cutting out on one night recently when I had the headlights, wipers, aircon and heated rear window all on. In such conditions I've taken to manually turning the stop-start off.

My new car was delivered on Friday and I've been playing about with the Stop/Start (or at least letting it do its thing) and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it works. The BMW system leaves on all the ancillaries - although I haven't tried it with the heated screen - and headlights and just kills the engine.

Whether it's actually saved me an appreciable amount of diesel is yet to be seen though ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby GJD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am

ScoobyChris wrote:BMW ... heated screen

Interesting. You don't just mean blowing hot air onto the screen I presume? First I'd heard of anyone other than Ford having heated screens. Am I years behind the times?
GJD

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 am

GJD wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:BMW ... heated screen

Interesting. You don't just mean blowing hot air onto the screen I presume? First I'd heard of anyone other than Ford having heated screens. Am I years behind the times?

Yeah I was surprised too, but it's on the options list now and looks identical to the one fitted to Fords for years. Not had a chance to try out now all the ice and snow has vanished though :(

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:39 am

Ah, PandaChris becomes MiniChris :mrgreen: !

I think Ford held a patent, but I did hear a while back that it was due to expire soon. Obviously it now has.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Renny » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think Ford held a patent, but I did hear a while back that it was due to expire soon. Obviously it now has.

Land Rover have had heated screens as an option for quite a few years (at least 14), but they were part of the Ford empire for a while. We've had heated screens on all 4 of our Discoverys IIRC.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum