Just picked up my AutoSock

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Gareth wrote:I took issue with what they said was the cost of steel wheels, presenting my own experience. I explained about using a wheel and tyre combination that permitted use of snow chains while at the same time saving money on both the wheels and the tyres. I suggested they'd put a negative spin on the use of all season tyres that in our experience is unwarranted, and suggested that all season tyres might better suit the majority of UK drivers. I pointed to the limitations of snow chains and snow tyres, how they are a 'get out of trouble' solution. Finally I discussed the applicability of winter tyres with regard to the UK climate, as I thought they'd majored on extreme circumstances while I think they're suitable for normal circumstances.

TripleS wrote:corrosion?

I imagine they will rot if they are left damp for extended periods.

Many thanks for that, Gareth. I think you've made some relevant points there.

If normal wear on cars in the UK were to be decent quality all-season tyres, I feel that would probably see most drivers reasonably equipped to cope with our normal sort of winter. It would also be relevant to seek to educate drivers in the sort of techniques that would best enable them to maintain safe progress on the snow and ice.

Where anybody feels the need of something better than all-season tyres, then by all means make winter tyres available for them. What we should get away from (if this is what has been happening) is a situation where cars are equipped as standard with 'summer tyres' thus leaving their owners at a relative disadvantage when faced with winter road conditions and/or low temperatures.

IMHO 'summer tyres' should not be the norm - they should be available for those who want enhanced performance in dry/wet conditions at summer temperatures. Most people do not need enhanced performance in those conditions: what they need are tyres that will provide reasonable grip and traction on winter surfaces, as well as the summer conditions.

As for 'corrosion' of snowsocks - or (more likely) rotting, as you say - what are they made of? I've no idea, but I would have assumed polypropylene or some such material - which I would have thought ought not to be prone to rotting.

Anyhow, may I take this opportunity to wish one and all a very Happy Christmas, plus good health and good fortune in 2011.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CDoQ9QEwBQ

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Do you have all season tyres on your car Dave?
zadocbrown

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:22 pm

zadocbrown wrote:Do you have all season tyres on your car Dave?

Apologies, I forgot to reply to this.

Fronts are Hankook Optimo K415, rears are Pirelli Powergy. Size is 195/65 R 15 91H. At the time I bought them neither the supplier nor I initiated any discussion as to whether they were classed as summer tyres etc.

I bought these believing them to be decent quality tyres suitable for all season use in the UK - which is what they should be. They're probably not top of the range by any means, but nor are they budget tyres, let alone cheap rubbish.

The front ones have been on for about 19,000 miles, and the rear ones rather more than that, but they still seem to work OK.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Lady Godiva » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:47 pm

I've no experience of winter tyres so can't comment from experience. But I DO have snow socks and for me they have been superb. I sat at the bottom of the hill the other day while the 3 cars in front reversed back down because they couldn't get more than halfway up. Once clear, I sailed up, and I mean sailed. In fact I found them so grippy that you have to be careful not to get a little too confident.

The thing to remember is that they actually grip the snow. The best way to show this is to put some woollen socks over your shoes and go out for a walk in the snow. That's what the snow socks do, and they have got me out of the village and onto the main roads on several occasions.

I've used them on an MGF and a Toyota yaris, and highly recommend them.

Best wishes for 2011

Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 pm

I went for winter tyres myself and they do make a difference. Just remember to change them back to your regular tyres once you can be sure that there will be now more snow until next winter. Keep the winter tyres in a dry place and they'll be fine to use them next year :D
drivingschoolnewbury

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum