New Scottish ambulances equipped for snow

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Standard Dave » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12138842

The Scottish Ambulance Service has invested in new ambulances and equipment to cope with adverse weather conditions.

It now has eight new 4x4 accident and emergency vehicles and another two will be delivered by the end of the month.

The vehicles will be based across Scotland.

The service is also investing in snow tyres and chains for a further 52 vehicles and in December took delivery of 12 patient transport 4x4 vehicles.

Pauline Howie, chief executive of the Scottish Ambulance Service, said: "These new vehicles will further enhance the capability of our existing 4x4 fleet to cope with severe weather and difficult terrain.

"Our staff worked tirelessly through horrendous conditions this year, keeping the 999 service running as well as transport to regular hospital treatment for renal, oncology and cardiac cases, often putting the wellbeing of patients before their own."

She added: "We continuously review contingency arrangements for response to major incidents and extreme situations."

Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: "I am delighted that the Scottish Ambulance Service is to further enhance the resilience of its emergency service with the delivery of a fleet of new vehicles that can be used during extreme winter weather of the sort that we experienced recently.

"Ambulance crews work hard to provide the best patient care at all times but these new vehicles will assist staff experiencing difficult driving conditions and challenging terrain."
Standard Dave

Postby michael769 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm

They already have a fleet of these vehicles (mostly up North) but during December the service struggled to cope with the conditions in the central belt, with crews putting themselves in harms way in order to get to patients - so this will be very welcome if we have a repeat.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Renny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 pm

In the Central belt a lot of support for the Ambulance Service was provided by volunteers from Lothain 4x4 Response. They were assisting by transporting non-emergency patients and staff to/from hospitals.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Standard Dave wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12138842

The service is also investing in snow tyres and chains for a further 52 vehicles and in December took delivery of 12 patient transport 4x4 vehicles.

I thought snow chains were illegal !!!!
drivingschoolnewbury

Postby morsing » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:22 am

drivingschoolnewbury wrote:
I thought snow chains were illegal !!!!

Why would they be illegal?
morsing

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 am

Snow chains may only be used when there is sufficient snow covering to avoid any possibility of damaging the road surface. See the advice from Halfords.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Gareth wrote:Snow chains may only be used when there is sufficient snow covering to avoid any possibility of damaging the road surface. See the advice from Halfords.

Aye well, that's as may be, and I'm sure it makes sense, but it wasn't always like that; or if it was the rule was maybe not complied with at all times.

I can remember travelling on the school bus one morning from Stocksbridge to Penistone Grammar School (a distance of about nine miles) round about 1953, give or take a year or so, and that bus had snow chains fitted. I don't recall how much ice and snow was on the road on that journey, or what the chains were doing to the road surface, but I do remember some part of the chain assembly coming loose and thumping the wheel arch. What a racket!! It certainly can't have done the bus much good. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to General Car Chat Forum