Inbuilt hazards

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:37 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Hi,

Did someone not do a kit car version of the "frogeye" cant remember what it was based on but I think it ran pinto power or similar, not the same as the real thing but still stripped dowm motoring.

All makes me miss my Porsche....gentle sobbong follows

Ivor :)

Some years ago a small company built 50(?) 'continuation' Healey Frogeye. Officially sanctioned by Donald Healey, and therefore recognised as "real" Healeys. I saw one at a local classic cars show which had a 1.4 K Series engine.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspritecl ... ealey.html

I'm beginning to think that my next car, after the Caterham will be something like a Sylva J15 or Phoenix. A car that's '60s inspired but with modern engineering. Stylish, relatively quick, handles well and cheap to run. Either that or a classic Sprite/Midget type and a cheap shopping car for when it breaks down :lol: .
Gromit37

Postby TripleS » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Hi,

Did someone not do a kit car version of the "frogeye" cant remember what it was based on but I think it ran pinto power or similar, not the same as the real thing but still stripped dowm motoring.

All makes me miss my Porsche....gentle sobbong follows

Ivor :)

Some years ago a small company built 50(?) 'continuation' Healey Frogeye. Officially sanctioned by Donald Healey, and therefore recognised as "real" Healeys. I saw one at a local classic cars show which had a 1.4 K Series engine.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspritecl ... ealey.html

I'm beginning to think that my next car, after the Caterham will be something like a Sylva J15 or Phoenix. A car that's '60s inspired but with modern engineering. Stylish, relatively quick, handles well and cheap to run. Either that or a classic Sprite/Midget type and a cheap shopping car for when it breaks down :lol: .

My Mark 1 Sprite didn't have any reliability problems worthy of note, but as you will appreciate it always had the benefit of a mechanically sympathetic driver :P and an eco-driver to boot! It did 37,000 miles in its first year from new, at which point it needed a new clutch, which BMC dealt with under warranty. IIRC it was actually release bearing failure, but it received a complete new clutch assembly while they were about it. Soon after that the BMC warranty coverage became one year / 12,000 miles!

The car then went on to 88,000 miles by which time the oil consumption had become excessive, so I put in a new set of piston rings and new big end bearing shells. It then went on to a total mileage of about 120,000 before its life ended due to bodyshell corrosion at about seven years old. That was very sad after all the enjoyment it had provided, but for a car of that type and from that era, I thought it did very well. I don't remember ever being let down by it and having serious roadside difficulties etc.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum