M designated roads

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 am

Hi

In Manchester we have a city center bypass the Mancunian Way or A57 M I frequently see learner drivers on this road and small ( 49cc) scooters. My opinion is that this is designated as a motorway so motorway rules should apply. All the road signs are blue background with a white text/border and there are end of motorway signs as you exit the road. Do you agree that motorway regulations should apply?

The reason for my question is this morning I witnessed a learner on a 125 with L plates filtering dangerously (excessive speed) between vehicle and he passed a marked police vehicle who did nothing.
exportmanuk

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:26 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Do you agree that motorway regulations should apply?

Delete 'should' and then I agree.

Vehicles displaying 'L' plates do not necessarily have learner drivers in control ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Motorway regs apply to all motorways whether they be M1 or A1M types
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby gannet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Gareth wrote:
Vehicles displaying 'L' plates do not necessarily have learner drivers in control ...

either way.. the 'L' Plated motorcyclist passed a marked police car who did nothing. Surely they should have pulled him over to check (and to tell off) :?
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

gannet wrote:
Gareth wrote:

either way.. the 'L' Plated motorcyclist passed a marked police car who did nothing. Surely they should have pulled him over to check (and to tell off) :?

If he was filtering at high speed it could well be that the driver didn't notice the 'L' plate in the short time it was visible, even if they did, it could have been a strategic decision that a 'stop' - wit ha lot of noise, lights, and inconvenience to other drivers to get up with the bike) would not be worthwhile.

Or the police might have been otherwise occupied and not free for another task?

High-speed filtering would, IMHO, have been a bigger cause for concern. :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Stephen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 pm

The Mancunian Way is as you say under Motorway regulations as it is the A57M and you are right there are blue backed signs. There are not a lot of people who know this,police included believe it or not.
The location you describe is not far from our Police workshops and this could have been either a civilian driver who has just collected it for service or a defect fixed or it could have been a mechanic on test.
I don't know but I am sure you may enlighten me on this I work round that area and know that for safety reasons we would never stop on this as there is no hard shoulder,we would follow until the vehicle left this road and stop somewhere safe. you only see police cars with broken down vehicle's.
Also you say it was a 125cc motorcycle which is allowed the only restrictions are for vehicles under 50cc and holders of provisional car /motorcycle licence and you cant say that he did not have a full bike or car licence. I wouldn't worry to much about it,the just like any motorcycle who filters at speed if they come to grief it is them that has to justify why they are undertaking one lane and overtaking the other. And you say at speed is a matter of opinion and as we know everyones perception is different,my point being if it was a police officer in the vehicle he might have deemed his manner of driving to be acceptable. Just my opinion.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Big Err » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Take a look at Schedule 4 of the Highways Act for the Schedule of vehicle types and compare it to the Order for the A57(M) and the Motorway Traffic Regulations (England and Wales). These should clarify who can and cannot use this road.
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi

I agree with hindsight there probably was not much he could do about it ( though it was a uniformed officer I had passed him a few moments earlier. At the time the traffic was flowing at between 35 and 40 mph at that speed I would not consider filtering especially on that road as drivers change lanes quite often.

But this road is used by learners both motorcycle and cars and I often see twist an go scooters on it too they are a/in danger because of their restricted speed. but nothing seems to be done about it. The road frequently has marked police vehicle and yes on occasions some will be civillians as the cars are transfered between the workshop and base but many are driven by uniformed officers, but I wonder if they dont thinkk about it the road has always been there( well it seems that way) it is very short and does not have the appearance of a motorway. It has a 50MPH limit for the highlevel section with 40 ant either end. and realistically it should not have the M desigation
exportmanuk

Postby PeterE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

See this page about the Mancunian Way on "Pathetic Motorways" ;)
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby martine » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:54 am

PeterE wrote:See this page about the Mancunian Way on "Pathetic Motorways" ;)

Love it - very funny yet informative.

Am I quite sad in spending a good 15 mins here looking up my 'favourite' local motorways? :oops:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby mattjones17 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Looking at that 'pathetic motorways' page, it seems like it's just a normal dual carriageway, but probably with traffic going more slowly due the lower speed limits. I would have thought that a lot of police officers would just use their discretion and not stop someone on this road when they are clearly not creating a danger and when it has been classified as a motorway for reasons which are probably political (i.e. the government of the day wanting to make the project appear even more impressive).
mattjones17

Postby Horse » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 pm

mattjones17 wrote: . . . when it has been classified as a motorway for reasons which are probably political (i.e. the government of the day wanting to make the project appear even more impressive).

Reading that site - yes, a great way to waste time :) - shows clearly that our M-way system has some amazing quirks and oddities!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:39 am

That site is quite amusing but scarily I travel along quite a few of them regularly
exportmanuk

Return to General Car Chat Forum