Reporting drivers - does it make a difference?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby morsing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:08 am

'morning. I had to stop on my way to work to report a driver this morning. I think it's only the second time in my life I've called to report someone, first time was a drunk driver (suspected), this time a dangerous bullying driver (bullying someone else, not me).

One of the reasons I never ring up is this feeling that the police won't really care much and even if they do, there isn't much they can do. Don't get me wrong, they're always polite and helpful.

So, spoke to two people as my phone cut me off the 10 seconds into the first call. They both answered my request to report a driver bullying someone else with a "Oh... uhhhh... Yeah, of course", so didn't make me feel like they were used to this kind of call?

She was very nice to speak to though and said she'd send out a notice to see if someone could spot this car further south on the road that this happened. I was lucky enough to get the number of the offending driver but not the victim.

So, my question is really, does it make any difference to report this kind of thing? Can the police do anything, my word against his?

What if they don't stop him on his drive to work this morning, will they pay him a visit later for a chat? Or is that the end of it?

Also, if he regularly gets complaints about his driving, will the police system flag this up? Or is it not really registered?

Hope someone can answer these questions...

Thanks
morsing

Postby PeterE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 am

If it's a drunk driver, there may be a chance the police can catch him, as he won't suddenly become sober. However, if it's a case of one incident of dangerous driving or DWDCA then all they have is the unsubstantiated evidence of one individual which would never get anywhere near a court.

And a situation where the police started targeting individual drivers on the basis of reports from members of the public would open up a whole can of worms of whispering campaigns and victimisation.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby michael769 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:02 am

I suspect it varies from force to force (and probably even depending on who you speak to).

Out legal helpline folks do get queries from people who have had a visit from the police following reports from the public, and in some forces they seem to issue Sect 172 NIPs by post to get the identity of the driver before asking them to attend the station for an interview. So I can confirm that at least in some parts of the country such reports are followed up with, in some instances.

In my experience most only result in words of advice as with only a single report it is very much a case of "your word against theirs". But I can think of at least 2 cases of the top of my head which reached court following multiple reports, though I do not recall the verdicts.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby morsing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks,

This was Thames Valley Police. Even just having words with him would make me feel better...

That being said, I obviously don't know what set off the incident in the first place. The guy obviously had a fit of road rage but I don't know what the victim did to set it off.

The woman I spoke to did as mentioned say they'd stop him if they spotted him but didn't say anything other than that.

Sometimes I feel like installing a camera in my car...
morsing

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:42 am

My local force will seriously consider sending a PC or PCSO to the home of the registered keeper if the person reporting it fills out a driving complaint form as well as describing verbally what happened.

The official taking this info can also make a judgement about the person reporting it and putting their views on the statement form

This way the incident requires the person reporting it to be consistent three times - hard for a liar to give exactly the same story three times
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby morsing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 pm

ROG, so if the police was interested in pursuing it, would they contact my again?
morsing

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:34 pm

morsing wrote:
Sometimes I feel like installing a camera in my car...

Very american! I'm sure some people with dash-cams go looking for trouble just to get on u-tube. :D

I have reported a couple of drivers and have been told the same thing each time, as long as you have the reg no and are prepared to put it in writing (driving complaint form) they will do there best to pursue it.

In one case they did get back to me after a couple of days to say that they had spoken to the driver and would I be willing to go to court if needed, I am still waiting.

Keep reporting, sometimes even a visit from the police may be enough to make someone rethink their attitude
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby GJD » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:52 pm

ROG wrote:hard for a liar to give exactly the same story three times

You need to practice your lying :D
GJD

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

morsing wrote:ROG, so if the police was interested in pursuing it, would they contact my again?

Nope

If you had gone in and made a statement they may have followed it up but as it would not go further than a word in their ear any future communication is unlikely
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jasonh » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:33 pm

I was forced off at a dual carriageway exit by a guy who blocked my escape and tried to get in my car, shouting that he would 'f***ing kill' me. Behind me was a bus held up by the blockage which would likely have had a front-facing camera. Derbyshire Police were going to come and see me but cancelled twice and decided they weren't interested in pursuing it. They did look the guy up by registration number and said car wasn't from the area and that was the end of it.

I'm pleased to hear at least some of these reports result in words being had.

I've always found police control rooms very helpful on the few occasions I've reported things like a van with no rear lights despite front lights working (M1 at night) but I don't know what came of it. When I stopped a foot patrol to mention a car locally with no brake lights they even called me back to say they'd informed the driver to get it sorted!

Unofficially I once heard that drivers might be telephoned silently and woken up in the early hours by the police or staff as a sort of informal and rather juvenile reprimand when no other action was being taken, but I suspect this was probably cobblers.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Return to General Car Chat Forum