Taking DSA Test

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby foxtrot_mike » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 am

One of the things i have been considering, post IAM was to take another DSA test.

I have done the D1, which infact prompted me to do the IAM but i was considering finishing this off and getting the full cat D as Id like to have a play in bigger vehicles, even though its not needed for my career intentions at the moment.

But trailer entitlements may be more useful to me in the future, may make more sense to do D first then DE in order to be granted BE and D1E.

Has anyone gone for a DSA test post Advanced and what was the experience like?

Im in no rush to do it, im considering becoming an observer so would use that to boost my skills further.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby ROG » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

foxtrot_mike wrote:trailer entitlements may be more useful to me in the future

D & DE to get BE
D1E to get BE
C & CE to get BE
BE to get BE

WARNING - the first 3 options to get BE are reliant on keeping the medical current which means every 5 years after age 45 and every year after age 65

Passing the BE test will be valid for as long as you have a B - generally for life

Doing a DSA test after passing the AD test should be relatively easy but remember to include the 'procedures' that the DSA require even if you KNOW they are not required in reality
The DSA are testing you under their rules so play their game
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:49 pm

ROG wrote:

D & DE to get BE
D1E to get BE
C & CE to get BE
BE to get BE

WARNING - the first 3 options to get BE are reliant on keeping the medical current which means every 5 years after age 45 and every year after age 65

Passing the BE test will be valid for as long as you have a B - generally for life

Doing a DSA test after passing the AD test should be relatively easy but remember to include the 'procedures' that the DSA require even if you KNOW they are not required in reality
The DSA are testing you under their rules so play their game

Does that then mean if someone gained B+E by test then subsequently gained, say, C then C+E, would the medical validity cover the B+E entitlement as well or does it only apply when the B+E is gained automatically (I forget the official name for this process)?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby ROG » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Does that then mean if someone gained B+E by test then subsequently gained, say, C then C+E, would the medical validity cover the B+E entitlement as well or does it only apply when the B+E is gained automatically (I forget the official name for this process)?

This is the issue as there is no medical requirement for a B+E as it is not classed as a vocational upgrade

If a driver passed tests in this order - B, BE, C then CE they would effectively have TWO BEs but only the the BE which lasts the longest gets shown on the licence as there is not room for everything
If they let the medical for C/CE lapse then they lose the BE which was gained by the CE but not the other gained by passing the BE test

This is a ridiculous situation which was not previously invisaged by the UK Govt when the EU licence changes were introduced in 1997
A driver aged 18 who passes B and then BE can tow large car trailers/caravans for 27 years and then keep on doing that until they are no longer fit to drive in their old age
BUT
A driver aged 18 who passes B, C & CE can tow large car trailers/caravans for 27 years but if now at age 45 they do not renew the medical needed for C & CE they lose the right for BE

Does that seem daft to everyone else?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby foxtrot_mike » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:
ROG wrote:

This seems Nuts, but not the only Nutty Driving Licence Rule.

Almost seems more benefit to just take the BE test now, probably easier too as it may be seldom to tow a trailer, but then again ill need too keep my medical for D1 and i may need to tow D1E, its swings and roundabouts.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:Almost seems more benefit to just take the BE test now, probably easier too as it may be seldom to tow a trailer, but then again ill need too keep my medical for D1 and i may need to tow D1E, its swings and roundabouts.

If you have many years to go before you reach age 45 when the medical needs renewing then I would do this -
Get the +E by taking the vocational route
Near age 45 consider doing the B+E test if the rules have not changed by then in regards to retaining B+E if obtained by a vocational +E upgrade
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to General Car Chat Forum