A TV advert for advanced driving... input required!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby stephenperry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:30 pm

I've been asked to make a short video in the style of an advert explaining the benefits of joining the IAM for playback at a combined regional group event to be held later in the summer, and I'm looking for input!

A few questions to start with so I can get an idea of what to concentrate on:

How do you classify "advanced" driving and perceive those who do it? (probably a question for another forum!)

What was the catalyst originally behind you deciding to take an advanced driving course?

With stress and aggravation on the road do you feel that being "advanced" makes you more calm and less prone to red mist?
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby 7db » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38 pm

stephenperry wrote:...explaining the benefits of joining the IAM...

That's the message - who is the supposed audience? You need both to form a communication. I'm assuming it's not the combine regional group, who all know the benefits of IAM membership as they are members...
7db

Postby martine » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:43 pm

stephenperry wrote:How do you classify "advanced" driving and perceive those who do it? (probably a question for another forum!)

Advanced driving is being skilful, controlled and safe and drivers who do it are taking a responsible attitude to the serious skill of driving. Sounds pompous doesn't it?

stephenperry wrote:What was the catalyst originally behind you deciding to take an advanced driving course?

Wanted to do it for a long time and simply though...do it!

stephenperry wrote:With stress and aggravation on the road do you feel that being "advanced" makes you more calm and less prone to red mist?

Yes definetely
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby stephenperry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 pm

indeed, that would be like teaching your granny to suck eggs.... :lol:

it's intended as a promotional thing for joe public, this event is going to be an open day with the emergency services doing demonstrations, trade stands, competitions etc... personally i reckon that it would be best scaling it down and having a stand at some of the more prominent car shows to attract the punters who aren't already interested through the act of turning up but i'm not organising it so i can't speak out of turn
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:54 pm

the person who had the original idea thought it would be good to show real life video footage of every day aggravating situations (tailgating, speeding, bad overtaking etc) and how it increases stress and provokes red mist, but, after embarking upon an advanced driving course this all washes over the driver and journeys are now much less stressful for him and his passengers... i think that's the gist

i have my thoughts on that, but what do you think?
stephenperry

Postby nuster100 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:59 pm

stephenperry wrote:How do you classify "advanced" driving and perceive those who do it?

I would describe an advanced driver as being safe, calm, systematic and where possible using the full performance of his/her car to enjoy the road.

stephenperry wrote:What was the catalyst originally behind you deciding to take an advanced driving course?

I want to be better than I am, I thought I had a bit of potential and wanted to exploit it.

stephenperry wrote:With stress and aggravation on the road do you feel that being "advanced" makes you more calm and less prone to red mist?

Yes, being able to properly observe your surroundings means things wash over you. This is because they happen to those around you with less observation, rather than an advanced driver who should see the situation start to develop and take avoiding action before it escalates. It leaves you free to have a good old chuckle.

Hope This Helps

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby SammyTheSnake » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:32 am

Steve, you might want to have a chat with theyoungen who's done work with car related video in the past (I believe he's doing a degree in media or something)...

nuster100 wrote:I want to be better than I am, I thought I had a bit of potential and wanted to exploit it.

I like that way of putting it. I'd also add that there's immense satisfaction to be had from doing something really well.

Are you aiming at any specific subsection of "Joe Public"? (Chavs? Reps? Don't-really-think-about-its?)

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby stephenperry » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:43 am

they keep going on about a lack of interest among young people so i think thats going to be the push.... for example a few boy and girl racers turned up to the initial "sell" but didn't sign up, this happens every course i'm told

kids won't be told anything, i certainly wouldn't when i started driving, maybe thefocus on the max power brigade is, although altruistic, slightly futile?
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:55 am

nuster100 wrote:I would describe an advanced driver as being safe, calm, systematic and where possible using the full performance of his/her car to enjoy the road.

I like that Jay, maybe to get shot of its pipe & slippers image I'd like to see the IAM emphasising the performance side more, like a cut price junior HPC starter kit, but that may not go down well with the rest of the group and could risk alienating the old boys and little old ladies who seemingly make up the vast majority of our group membership
stephenperry

Postby PeteG » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:55 am

How about showing a traffic bobby driving in a few locations - busy town, motorway, back roads - then have one of the group driving in the same situations?

I'd expand, but my brain's more concerned with sandwich eating than the creative process at the moment...
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby nuster100 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:20 am

stephenperry wrote:I like that Jay, maybe to get shot of its pipe & slippers image I'd like to see the IAM emphasising the performance side more, like a cut price junior HPC starter kit, but that may not go down well with the rest of the group and could risk alienating the old boys and little old ladies who seemingly make up the vast majority of our group membership

IMO, the best way to get shot of the old image is to have younger people with you. Whilst I realize its a bit of a catch 22 to start with, If you have some young advanced drivers and some nice cars, you won't go far wrong.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

nuster100

Postby 7db » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am

Ok - so the market is yoof. Another valid market would be middle age beemer driving reps, but lets stick with yoof.

Use the medium. TV allows fast visual editing, and yoof engage on info overload, however, they are notoriously bad at imagining worst case scenarios.

How about this, then:-

Drivers POV / shoulder cam:-

A young driver in a nice car driving around through town and out into NSL.

Voiceover - possibly from the left seat - we can't see the pipe or slippers - is giving clear friendly advanced instruction. it might just be the lad's mind talking to himself.

The screen is cluttered. There's a rear-view picture-in-picture. There's full datalogging on screen. (see the Cadence commentary video for style). This looks like a PS game. We can see everything the driver can see. We are the driver.

As hazards are negotiated the firm friendly voice tells us how to deal with them. This is interspersed with footage of what might actually happen if we didn't.

EXAMPLE - Bimble, bimble, bimble down street.
voice:- "Looking for feet below the cars to see if pedestrians are present"
giving a doors width berth to parked cars. And before the car responds the scene cuts to:-

External - car driving along. Door opens and passenger steps out into path of vehicle that's too close. Horrible crash. Cut to:-

Internal driver POV. Steers clear of door which then opens. The crash we saw earlier has been avoided.

and so on through several hazards.

TECHNICAL NOTES
Your hazards will be limited by what footage you have of nasty accidents, since doing new ones is expensive.

You can then drive around and set up the safe way to pass these hazards from driver POV.

There's a loads of these clips so you don't need to make your own if you are on a budget.

Just a thought starter.
7db

Postby ROG » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:38 am

I like the idea of showing the attitude and skill of the advanced driver in controlling a potential dangerous situation such as a tailgater or merging onto a very busy motorway without compromising the forward safety gap.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby stephenperry » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 am

what a great idea 7db, only thing i may be stuck with is the datalogger, although i think you can hire them?
stephenperry

Postby nuster100 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:45 am

If you need help with equipments etc, I am sure I can help.

What I dont have are data loggers and car camera mounts though :-

Jay

nuster100

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum