Mini roundabouts

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Robserver » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:55 pm

Does anyone know the reason why some mini roundabouts have white circles as well as the arrows round the dot.There are some on the A350 in Westbury(Wilts)
In the beginning was the word and the word was ROADCRAFT
Robserver

Postby James » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:05 pm

Can you describe in more detail?

I think you mean the inner circle which defines the centre of the RAB? Maybe some that are smaller need this defining for those who are slightly less observant?

Try Google Images if you like - might assist...
James

Postby christopherwk » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 pm

I think youre supposed to go round the white circles (if assuming they're solid lines), unless your vehicle is too large to go round them.

Just a guess?
christopherwk

Postby crr003 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:07 pm

christopherwk wrote:I think youre supposed to go round the white circles (if assuming they're solid lines), unless your vehicle is too large to go round them.

Just a guess?

No need to guess - HC 164
crr003

Postby James » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:08 pm

I guess your an observer Robserver, and is it possible that this Sunday whilst out for a run you encountered such a roundabout and were asked questions about it?

Just a guess :cry:
James

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:14 pm

crr003 wrote:No need to guess - HC 164

I don't believe this matches the enquiry of the original poster. Mini-roundabouts are denoted by a filled circle of white paint, yet many also have extra markings, such as a surrounding unbroken white ring of paint. I think these extras are there because somebody thinks they look prettier, but I don't believe they have any significance in law.

Interestingly some mini-roundabouts (i.e. the white paint blob), are encircled by road surface of a different colour, typically red, and some advanced drivers are loathe to drive over the red area.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby MGF » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2002/023113ap.gif

Note 'Item 4'

'Permitted variants: none'
MGF

Postby crr003 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Gareth wrote:

I don't believe this matches the enquiry of the original poster.

Probably not - but it does answer the post of cristopherwk?

I've seen the red lane business in Fleet - I drive over it myself.
crr003

Postby MGF » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

crr003 wrote:
Gareth wrote:

I don't believe this matches the enquiry of the original poster.

Probably not - but it does answer the post of cristopherwk?

I've seen the red lane business in Fleet - I drive over it myself.

Interestingly the regulations have been amended to incorporate the Highway Code's allowance for large vehicles.
MGF

Postby SammyTheSnake » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:07 am

There's an interesting junction near nuneaton, which unfortunately google maps has an out of date image of (it shows a T junction where there's now an interesting mini-ish roundabout) multimap's image is more recent, but too low resolution to show anything useful. this is where it is.

It's a mini roundabout with about a lane's worth of brickwork and a semi-curb around it. The curb is very small, about 3/4" high, a bit like a dropped curb. My driving instructor told me to not drive on it, but I couldn't help wondering what legal weight the arrangement actually has. I would love to hear what somebody with more intimate knowledge of the laws of the road thought...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
Come on, Al, you've been lurking too long, chip in!
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby vonhosen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:There's an interesting junction near nuneaton, which unfortunately google maps has an out of date image of (it shows a T junction where there's now an interesting mini-ish roundabout) multimap's image is more recent, but too low resolution to show anything useful. this is where it is.

It's a mini roundabout with about a lane's worth of brickwork and a semi-curb around it. The curb is very small, about 3/4" high, a bit like a dropped curb. My driving instructor told me to not drive on it, but I couldn't help wondering what legal weight the arrangement actually has. I would love to hear what somebody with more intimate knowledge of the laws of the road thought...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
Come on, Al, you've been lurking too long, chip in!

There will probably be an industrial estate etc nearby & the route used by large vehicles.
As far as HC etc is concerned you should make every effort to go around, not over the roundabout.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:34 am

vonhosen wrote:As far as HC etc is concerned you should make every effort to go around, not over the roundabout.

The problem is working out the boundary of the roundabout, mini- or otherwise. Here is an example in St. Neots, where the mini-roundabout marking is clearly shown by the Google Maps photo, complete with arrow markings showing direction of travel, as per the markings in the link that MGF supplied, yet those arrows are on some reddish road surface. There is nothing in the Highway Code about not using the reddish road surface, yet many advanced drivers are paranoid about avoiding it.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 am

There is a 'mini' roundabout in Watnall, Notts (in fact it is a very, very small proper roundabout with a raised kerb and a large chevron sign in the middle but about the same size a mini rab) that is surrounded by an area of sunken red bricks. They are level with the road surface. This makes it look much bigger than it really is. I believe that these are purely decorative, as there are no other markings.

So many people go round the outside of the red brick area, but it is much easier to cut across them. It's a strange design, but they must have had their reasons :? :?:
Gromit37

Postby Big Err » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:32 am

A mini roundabout must conform to the diagram in the Traffic Sign Regs, if it doesn't it technically not a mini roundabout therefore making the various mini roundabout offences void........... :o

Numerous designers who have installed mini roundabouts put in their own little variations without realising the legal implications. :roll:

Eric
Big Err

Postby vonhosen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:46 am

Gromit37 wrote:There is a 'mini' roundabout in Watnall, Notts (in fact it is a very, very small proper roundabout with a raised kerb and a large chevron sign in the middle but about the same size a mini rab) that is surrounded by an area of sunken red bricks. They are level with the road surface. This makes it look much bigger than it really is. I believe that these are purely decorative, as there are no other markings.

So many people go round the outside of the red brick area, but it is much easier to cut across them. It's a strange design, but they must have had their reasons :? :?:

The red brick area is seperate from the normal road surface. It's part of the roundabout.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum