Inappropriate Speed Advert

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Thu May 10, 2007 12:24 pm

WARNING : Contains graphic / emotional scenes:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/555065/sp ... ng_advert/
James

Postby Roadcraft » Thu May 10, 2007 12:49 pm

That's an excellent video.

I've witnessed that pain many times...the roadside physical pain and the emotional pain of the relatives in the morgue... Those are the shifts which you can always recall years later.

Anyway, back to the film, too often public information films are filled with talking hedgehogs and child loving discjockeys..and the message just doesn't get across.

Whilst I agree in part that the message shouldn't be speed alone, and perhaps more emphasis on the dangerous aspect of the driving...ie: overtaking in the face of the blue Ford Fiesta....

Unfortunately, the 'speed' message is much easier conveyed than the standard of driving message..

Afterall, if people were interested in improving their driving, IAM, RoSPA and other 'organisations' would have more members...

This is again the arguement about education v enforcement. Unfortunately, for the majority of drivers, education is just too much trouble than it's worth...
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Thu May 10, 2007 2:43 pm

I guess most people soon forget even that style of message, and if that is the case, showing graphic scenes such as those will be of limited value.

Perhaps it would be better to put more effort into a few educational videos about attitude and key skills and techniques, selling the idea of the increased satisfaction that can be derived by trying to do things right.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 pm

Yes quite shocking but my other initial reaction was: how unbelievable it looked...probably wrongly.

I don't see why you have to have crazily-flipping cars (like something from the worst hollywood car movies) and tragic unlikely coincidences of the couple in an embrace getting crushed. How about the much more real and frequent: shunt up the back on an m-way or pedestrian killed on a zebra?

I've often wondered why young joy riders aren't made to accompany a traffic police team for a day or 2 and let them see the consequences of bad driving...shock them - but it's probably against their human rights :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu May 10, 2007 3:32 pm

I agree with Martin. I think the mobile phone video showing the kid being hit by a car (arguably not the driver's fault!) and the one with the if you hit me at 40mph one with the child who comes back to life, are much easier to relate to .... at least to someone who has never been through what is depicted in the video.

Although saying that, I was talking to some teenagers about the mobile phone video one and they said it had no impact on them at all as it looked fake. I guess you're never going to be able to reach everyone! :(

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Thu May 10, 2007 3:53 pm

So, when does this go on TV?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Thu May 10, 2007 3:54 pm

ROG wrote:So, when does this go on TV?

I would guess it's already on tv in Eire.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Roadcraft » Thu May 10, 2007 4:20 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Although saying that, I was talking to some teenagers about the mobile phone video one and they said it had no impact on them at all as it looked fake. I guess you're never going to be able to reach everyone! :(
Chris

and then then they show them depicting real casualties and corpses, many people are in uproar....

It's difficult to find the balance...

Personally, I'm of the opinion what where humans are concerned...bad things will happen, no matter what you do.

In the USA there's lots of gun safety adverts, yet the accidental gun death rate is at it's highest...
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:58 pm

martine wrote:I've often wondered why young joy riders aren't made to accompany a traffic police team for a day or 2 and let them see the consequences of bad driving...shock them - but it's probably against their human rights :roll:

That might backfire - $hit doesn't happen all the time, and they could come away after two days having seen nothing - and then thinking "what's all the fuss about?"
crr003

Postby Roadcraft » Thu May 10, 2007 5:21 pm

crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:I've often wondered why young joy riders aren't made to accompany a traffic police team for a day or 2 and let them see the consequences of bad driving...shock them - but it's probably against their human rights :roll:

That might backfire - $hit doesn't happen all the time, and they could come away after two days having seen nothing - and then thinking "what's all the fuss about?"

It's not just that... I would hate to have scumbags accompanying me on a shift....

Besides, it'd be just another 'jolly' that is given out to the bad..who are rewarded..where the good get nothing..

For example, there are many decent people who would find a shift out with a traffic police crew interesting, yet are unable to do it...
Roadcraft

Postby martine » Thu May 10, 2007 6:59 pm

Roadcraft wrote:...For example, there are many decent people who would find a shift out with a traffic police crew interesting, yet are unable to do it...

That's true.

I just think many youngsters have little appreciation of the damage and hurt a serious RTC can cause...too many are used to seeing the 'clean' crashes in the movies and video games...somehow we've got to show it how it is and 'frighten' the irresponsible, educate the ignorant and wake-up the just plain naive.
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu May 10, 2007 7:06 pm

martine wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:...For example, there are many decent people who would find a shift out with a traffic police crew interesting, yet are unable to do it...

That's true.

I just think many youngsters have little appreciation of the damage and hurt a serious RTC can cause...too many are used to seeing the 'clean' crashes in the movies and video games...somehow we've got to show it how it is and 'frighten' the irresponsible, educate the ignorant and wake-up the just plain naive.

But if most people work on the basis that "It may happen to other people, but not me"....what then?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Roadcraft » Thu May 10, 2007 7:07 pm

I agree Martin,

But in my experience...the 'knowledge' either doesn't get through...or if it does it's only short lived.

I remember a youth who had crashed a car into a tree on a notorious estate in the city. He was screaming in pain as the fire service were cutting him out....

The crowd that had gathered, was full of other 'boy racers' that I had dealt with..and at the back of my mind..I was thinking..."mmmm..this could be a good lesson for them"

Was it? Was it buggery ! Two from the crowd I stopped within a week for driving dangerously (on the same road, for goodness sake)...

and a third went on to have a collision a couple of months later, which resulted in the death of a 17yr old girl who had been a rear passenger. (He lost control entering a 30mph zone at 70 and hit a bridge)
Roadcraft

Postby 7db » Thu May 10, 2007 11:44 pm

If you want to get the message through to young drivers, then increase the length of the probation and drop the points to 3 for the first two years and 6 for the next five.

Their brains don't work properly yet and they can't assess intangible risks. They respond to getting caught (or not) and getting punished, not to the higher benefits of "being safe".
7db

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri May 11, 2007 8:46 am

Although I wonder if that would just lead to an increase in the number of unlicensed/uninsured drivers on the road :(

Chris
ScoobyChris

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum