ITV 1 tonight @ 9pm

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 am

Tonight at 9pm on ITV1 should be good for a giggle. :wink:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Roadcraft » Mon May 14, 2007 1:12 pm

To save everyone rushing for the Radio Times; here's what ROG is referring to;

21:00
Driving Me Crazy
New series in which celebrities vent their anger about some of the UK's most maddening motoring issues....
Roadcraft

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon May 14, 2007 1:33 pm

Just to add.......

A new three-part series in which familiar faces present a sideways look at the issues that bother Britain’s car owners most gets off the grid with John Sergeant revealing his biggest motoring gripe.

In the first episode of Driving Me Crazy, Sergeant takes a look at the 4x4 – the most talked-about vehicle on the road today. ”Calling them Chelsea tractors is far too polite,” says Sergeant. “They’re urban monsters and they’re driving me crazy!”

In a poll for the programme, 67% of those asked said they felt 4x4s were unsuitable for urban areas. More than half of those quizzed thought they should be banned. However, Sergeant has no interest in preaching to the converted. In the programme he attempts to change the opinions of three committed 4x4 drivers. He argues that driving a 4x4 requires very different skills to those needed for driving the kind of car most people learn to drive in, and to test the theory he asks three drivers to attempt two of the manoeuvres required to pass a standard driving test in their 4x4s.
ScoobyChris

Postby jasonh » Mon May 14, 2007 1:34 pm

(If you really want a laugh, watch Panorama on BBC 1 just before (2030).)
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby Renny » Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Both should be good. Especialy Panorama judging by the "trailer" on the BBC Breakfast news. I'm not sure who looks the worst, the Interviewer who "lost it" or the Scientologist who could not listen to the challenge :roll:

He argues that driving a 4x4 requires very different skills to those needed for driving the kind of car most people learn to drive in, and to test the theory he asks three drivers to attempt two of the manoeuvres required to pass a standard driving test in their 4x4s.

The same could also be said if the average driver attempted a DSA test in a performance car. Ever tried a 3-point turn (sorry, turn in the road using forward and reverse gears) in a Ferrari or any other "supercar"?
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby ROG » Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm

jasonh wrote:(If you really want a laugh, watch Panorama on BBC 1 just before (2030).)

Is this the one about the "open minded sect" :?: :wink: :lol:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Mon May 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Renny wrote:Ever tried a 3-point turn (sorry, turn in the road using forward and reverse gears) in a Ferrari or any other "supercar"?

Well, for a turn in the road.... wind on a bit of steering lock, take up a few thousand RPM and dump the clutch. Disengage the clutch and remove the throttle when you've turned sufficiently....? :lol:

Oh, I have to use reverse gear too.... ooops. :oops:
jont

Postby Renny » Mon May 14, 2007 4:42 pm

jont wrote:
Oh, I have to use reverse gear too.... ooops. :oops:

"J" turn? :twisted: :roll:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby jont » Mon May 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Renny wrote:"J" turn? :twisted: :roll:

Have you seen what rearwards visibility is like in a supercar? I wouldn't fancy getting up J-turn speeds not knowing what I was about to run over.... :roll: :twisted:
jont

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 pm

Well certainly a giggle! Glad to see it wasn't at all biased ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby nuster100 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Ah, turning in the road isn't hard.

Flick on lock, Grab Handbrake.

On the 4x4 issue, I think they should be made VERY expensive to run, unless you can demonstrate a need for having one. e.g farmer, accessing remote locations etc.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby Rick » Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 pm

I think people should have a choice on what to buy/run/produce.. 4x4's (and i would never have one) are, in my opinion far less environmentally unfriendly than things some people are allowed or even encouraged to have. But i wont get into all that as it's not as PC as slating someones choice of transport. :?
Rick

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon May 14, 2007 11:02 pm

Imvho, people should be allowed to drive what they like. I don't victimise supercar drviers for not using their cars to their full potential, so why should I worry about 4x4's not being used to their full potential. If a car was simply a tool to get from A to B, we'd all be driving Nissan Micra's!....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Renny » Tue May 15, 2007 9:46 am

nuster100 wrote:On the 4x4 issue, I think they should be made VERY expensive to run, unless you can demonstrate a need for having one. e.g farmer, accessing remote locations etc.

Jay

I agree that a large 4x4 is not appropriate for the inner city school run.

However we have a Discovery (now our 3rd) which is used to carry 2 large dogs, my motorsport kit and other things to areas that a "normal" car would not be suitable for. It is shorter than a comparable estate car (Mondeo, Vectra, C or E Class, Legacy etc), so takes up no more space on the road. It affords better visibility and the improved traction and ground clearance does mean that in poor weather conditions (snow, flood) my wife can still get to her work and treat patients (it is frightening to know how many serious injuries there are in a weekend due to RTCs). OK, the fuel consumption is about 30mpg, but this is better than what many luxury or performance cars return. Tyres last over 45k miles, other running costs are acceptable and it was built in Britain so no shipping costs. It was also our choice. We can afford it, it does what we want/need. Neither of us want to run around in bland saloons or estates, so would probaly have a BMW, Merc, Skoda or Subaru estate if we didn't run the Discovery, none of these would be able to fulfill our needs so there would also be another vehicle(s).

4x4s are seen as an easy target, just as the motorist is seen by the government. If only the public realised how inefficient the trendy hybrids with their toxic, heavy, difficult to recycle batteries are. Or how uneconomical an Impreza, Evo, GTO or FTO are.... :roll:

/rant off
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby nuster100 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:56 am

I think my "beef" regarding 4x4s is mainly to do with the size and weight of them.

If I was ever in a crash with a 4x4, i would come off considerably worse with my little Clio. I would probably fair better against a mondeo or similar.

I don't have an issue with people that need them using them, you have clearly demonstrated a need for one. I see them alot on the school run, and cant help but thinking an s-max or similar would be better.

Having said that, our police force has just got a few BMW X5 diesels.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum