Angled parking

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Outraged of Rickmansworth!

Aren't the council right in this being safer?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Isn't reverse parking now part of the DSA test? Anyone who finds reverse parking too hard should lose their license :twisted:
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Attempting to follow up but page keeps erroring on me :(
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi

Since when did reversing out of a parking bay become safer than reversing in :?:

"Outraged from Rickmansworth" get over it :evil:

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby michael769 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 pm

It just goes to show how many people simply don't stop to think about or question their driving.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:52 am

I wonder how many of the 400-plus outraged of Rickmansworth would, if asked, describe themselves as good drivers. I expect there'd be a significant difference between their perception and reality.
Kevin

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Kevin wrote:I wonder how many of the 400-plus outraged of Rickmansworth would, if asked, describe themselves as good drivers. I expect there'd be a significant difference between their perception and reality.

Against which yardstick would you measure their "good"ness? :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Angus » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:12 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
Kevin wrote:I wonder how many of the 400-plus outraged of Rickmansworth would, if asked, describe themselves as good drivers. I expect there'd be a significant difference between their perception and reality.

The usual way.............

Haven't had an accident in 40 years :roll:
Angus

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:19 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

Their ability to reverse into a parking space would be one place to start.
Kevin

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 am

Kevin wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

Their ability to reverse into a parking space would be one place to start.

Yes, I think so.

Rickmansworth seems to have more that its fair share of numpties, and I'd say the council is right in this case.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm surprised that no-one mentioned the money to be saved by reverse parking. A quick google shows £100/yr to be the accepted figure, although this figure will increase almost daily with fuel prices!!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby lyndon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:00 pm

There are a number of places where I prefer to drive forwards into a parking spot. One is at the supermarket, another is when I go walking with a crowd and I know there will be a lot of access to the boot.

On balance, I also think I would prefer to drive forward off a busy road into a parking spot, as long as I am not planning to get to the boot. I think the sooner I'm out of the way of the traffic, the better. Of course, if a van comes and parks alongside me so I can't see porperly to pull out, I then start regretting that decision.

You can't win them all.
lyndon

Postby brianhaddon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:41 pm

lyndon wrote:There are a number of places where I prefer to drive forwards into a parking spot. One is at the supermarket, another is when I go walking with a crowd and I know there will be a lot of access to the boot.

Agreed

lyndon wrote:On balance, I also think I would prefer to drive forward off a busy road into a parking spot, as long as I am not planning to get to the boot. I think the sooner I'm out of the way of the traffic, the better.

But then you have to reverse into all that traffic later.

lyndon wrote:You can't win them all.

Agreed - 2 out of 3 not bad!

Just a thought come to mind - what would be the difference of a reverse parallel park in the same situation?

Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby lyndon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 pm

I realise I have to reverse in or to reverse out of a slot on a busy road. I prefer to reverse out because I can choose my moment better - as long as I can see of course. Not always sensible, but it's my first choice.

I try to avoid having to parallel park on a busy road if at all possible. I would prefer to park further away and do my reverse parking on a side road, or find a slot long enough to go in forwards on a busy road.
lyndon

Postby Wessex » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:20 am

Off topic slightly but I would suggest that parking bays in private supermarket car parks should be angled so that the car is driven in at 45 degrees. The boot is easily accessible and so no problems with carrying bags down the side of the car or, heaven forbid but it happens, pushing the trolley between two cars.

Reversing is then easier because looking over the left shoulder one can see clearly when it is clear to reverse out, at an angle, and drive off.

When driving down a car park, seeing the rear lights (reverse light esp.) of parked cars is easier too because of the angle towards you.

Reversing out of a gap is always easier than reversing into one.
Wessex

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum