Survey by Direct Line - Rural Roads

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Solo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 pm

I hear 'Direct Line' have completed a survey on the use of rural roads and that the majority of the motoring public think there should be a 40 mph limit imposed on them. Also they think such roads should be included in the driving test.
Any views or information.
Solo

Postby James » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:23 pm

What will be will be, I dont bother to think about it. The powers above will do what they do, I just wait until they do it before thinking how I am going to respond. A survey in itself will never result in action so I wouldnt worry If I were you.
James

Postby Big Err » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Solo wrote:I hear 'Direct Line' have completed a survey on the use of rural roads and that the majority of the motoring public think there should be a 40 mph limit imposed on them. Also they think such roads should be included in the driving test.
Any views or information.

A middle England survey?
Big Err

Postby martine » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Couldn't find the press release on the direct line website but found a report at
http://www.inthenews.co.uk/money/news/finance/insurer-calls-40mph-country-lane-speed-limit-$446473.htm

Seems to be an ill-considered and dubious bit of PR - can't see the justification for it if they are really suggesting a 'blanket' 40 limit on rural roads.

I think debate about speed limits is good and personally I think some are too high and some too low. I would like to see variable speed limits (like the M25) on all motorways. I can't see the problem with raising it when it's quiet, dry and good-viz etc to 80 or even 90. By the same token I believe it should be lower at other times.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:09 pm

Heres a present survey for you, questions are a bit biased though...everything is caused by speeding is the box I assume you are mean't to tick

http://www.pacts.org.uk/beyond2010/survey/
Nigel

Postby Big Err » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:14 pm

martine wrote:Seems to be an ill-considered and dubious bit of PR - can't see the justification for it if they are really suggesting a 'blanket' 40 limit on rural roads.

Maybe some confusion here, there has been guidelines about quiet country lanes and lower speed limits. In most cases we are talking about lanes where the speeds are lower anyway, and introduction of an advisory or mandatory limit would only formalise what most do.

Unfortunately the majority of people who support this believe that the small percentage of motorists who drive at innapropriate speeds on these lanes would magically slow down if signs were erected........

Eric
Big Err

Postby rlmr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:32 pm

Solo wrote:Also they think such roads should be included in the driving test.

They are behind the times... rural roads are included in the test in my part of the world. Came in a few years ago and both my son and daughter had several miles of country road from trunk road to local classification, to complement the town driving sections.

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby Solo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:19 am

rlmr wrote:
Solo wrote:Also they think such roads should be included in the driving test.

They are behind the times... rural roads are included in the test in my part of the world. Came in a few years ago and both my son and daughter had several miles of country road from trunk road to local classification, to complement the town driving sections.

Rennie

They might where you are Rennie but they don't in this area. They try to include stretches of roads with higher speed limits than 30, but that doesn't take in rural lanes / roads.
Solo

Postby rlmr » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 am

Solo wrote:They might where you are Rennie but they don't in this area. They try to include stretches of roads with higher speed limits than 30, but that doesn't take in rural lanes / roads.

I fully accept that there will be differing challenges in differing areas e.g. Central London Vs Lairg (north if Inverness). I was just commenting that it appears that the DSA do use rural routes (in some locations) so consequently appreciate the benefit of testing outwith the 30's and on a variety of roads.

T'was merely an information post. :)

Rennie
rlmr

Postby waremark » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:13 am

Please will everyone respond to the PACTS survey? I think that the more respondents who suggest that what is needed are actions to address bad driving the better.
waremark

Postby Nigel » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:13 pm

hpcdriver wrote:Please will everyone respond to the PACTS survey? I think that the more respondents who suggest that what is needed are actions to address bad driving the better.

I'll repost it in a seperate thread, I think its being missed on this thread.
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:45 pm

I think where this is coming from is the higher proportion of fatal collisions that occur on rural roads.

Nearly two thirds of road deaths happen on rural roads.

As a car user you are 7 times more likley to be killed on a rural road than a motorway & 3.5 times more likely than an urban road.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:03 pm

So given those statistics Von, how will lower speed limts help ?

Within those figure do you have any information on what speeds the vehicles were travelling at ?
Nigel

Postby PeteG » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:05 pm

If I were to guess, I'd put inappropriate speed as a factor in a lot of them - but there are a great deal of corners where, given the information that 40mph is the rural speed limit, people will do 40mph regardless, and ignore the fact that they can't stop in the clear distance.
PeteG

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Nigel wrote:So given those statistics Von, how will lower speed limts help ?

Within those figure do you have any information on what speeds the vehicles were travelling at ?

I don't have details of speeds involved, but you can see the simplistic view that others may take. If there are less fatal collisions in areas that are subject to urban limits (where let's face it there are pro rata a greater density of hazards) then if we have those urban limits over a greater area there may well be a reduction in fatalities as a result. Less speed equals less energy.

Lower speed limits also equal less overtaking opportunities on SC roads. If you make a NSL road a 40mph limit it makes the speed limit the same for both LGVs & cars. That means no legal overtaking LGVs & caravans travelling at or about the 40mph limit.

The government no doubt will look to reach the targets they have set themselves, spending as little money as possible in the process.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum