Drive an Elise and leave depressed!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:30 pm

I was lucky enough to borrow a Lotus Elise 111S over the weekend and although I found it to be an awesome and capable car, it did bring home the fact there are just so few places on the road you can use the performance.

Acceleration was impressive (claimed 0-60: 5.3 secs) but I felt increasingly frustrated as the drive went on. It did show it's worth in opening up some overtaking opportunities that my old Focus just wouldn't have entertained but I came away rather depressed and asking myself: what's the point of a high-performance car on the road with ever more pressure to slow everyone down? :(
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 pm

When i drove one the handling was what impressed me. Or just use it on track days, i'm sure i could enjoy one on the road though. :D
Rick

Postby James » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:48 pm

But its small, but is a 1.8, but its glued together by red glue, and.... and....

I know because, my mum had one... [the 111S, Racing Green] (yeah... my mums cool :wink: )

It might be quick and it might handle well, but, the presence?

An engine is only as good as the person driving it
James

Postby 7db » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:46 pm

I know what you mean - I found the Elise quite sluggish and not very responsive. The interior is very spacious and easy to slide around in.
7db

Postby jont » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:42 am

7db wrote:I know what you mean - I found the Elise quite sluggish and not very responsive. The interior is very spacious and easy to slide around in.
:lol: :lol:

I suppose compared to a 7 it is quite luxurious!

Martin - I know where you're coming from with the frustrations of driving a high performance car these days, but as others have said, (at least unless the rural limits change), there are plenty of places you can still enjoy a car like that without fearing prosecution the whole time.

My lasting memory of driving an Elise was one of those experience track days at Thruxton. It was chucking it down with rain so I wasn't allowed to get near the limit, but it was still amazingly chuckable. Unfortunately it also leaked like a sieve and was roasting hot (to keep the screen clear and from the engine), but I think I'd still be tempted by one if I could afford to run it!
jont

Postby 7db » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:21 am

jont wrote:It was chucking it down with rain so I wasn't allowed to get near the limit

On the bright side, I assume the limit kept coming to find you instead...

I find that it is possible to use the much of the power of my car on most journeys, including my morning commute which is an urban restricted area. If you are limiting speeds to 15-20 for restricted vision rat runs and slowing properly for other hazards, a dose of WoT to return to 30, or to push through a corner is lovely.
7db

Postby jont » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:36 am

7db wrote:
jont wrote:It was chucking it down with rain so I wasn't allowed to get near the limit
On the bright side, I assume the limit kept coming to find you instead...
Something like that :lol: The final lap (with the instructor driving) was spent trying to find the largest angle you could hold the car at and still keep it going forwards - it was wet enough they'd pulled all the single seaters in so there really was no point trying for speed. Still fantastic fun though :D

7db wrote:I find that it is possible to use the much of the power of my car on most journeys, including my morning commute which is an urban restricted area. If you are limiting speeds to 15-20 for restricted vision rat runs and slowing properly for other hazards, a dose of WoT to return to 30, or to push through a corner is lovely.

I know what you mean, although a dose of WoT in first in my car can result in heavy rear end wear (not just to the car!), especially when the roads are greasy. I'm also a bit pathological at warming the car up before giving it any stick, and trying to keep off boost for the last couple of miles so I don't have to wait 5 mins in the car park for the turbo to cool back down again.
jont

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:47 am

martine wrote:.......but I came away rather depressed and asking myself: what's the point of a high-performance car on the road with ever more pressure to slow everyone down? :(

See; you're depressed 'cos it was an Elise. :wink:

Try a VX220 - much better build quality, cheap as chips to service and run (35 mpg when not trying) and it looks better IMHO.

But seriously though...... there are plenty of places to enjoy the performance and road holding. I wouldn't use it as an every day car but a lot of the youger VX drivers do. I only get depressed when I come up to a line of lemmings following a Sainsburys wagon and there's NO way past. Now there should be a law against not leaving a nice gap.

Oh, and it's a babe magnet apparently, but I must be going to the wrong places....... :( :oops:
crr003

Postby martine » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:57 pm

crr003 wrote:[See; you're depressed 'cos it was an Elise. :wink:

Try a VX220 - much better build quality, cheap as chips to service and run (35 mpg when not trying) and it looks better IMHO.

Never driven a VX220 but I am open to offers... :wink:

I agree a quick blast when it's appropriate is a nice change from 'pootling' in traffic but with something this quick (0-60 5.3 secs) it's short relief. I defy anyone to come anywhere near the handling limits on the road and still be safe...so my main feeling was: 'what's the point of it all' :?: (would make a lovely track-day-car of course)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby James » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:41 pm

If it puts a smile on your face then it's worth it. If you are going to discuss the VX220 make sure it's the Turbo version. The original 2.2 16V is nowhere near the car the Turbo version is.
James

Postby stephenperry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:34 pm

martine wrote:I agree a quick blast when it's appropriate is a nice change from 'pootling' in traffic but with something this quick (0-60 5.3 secs) it's short relief. I defy anyone to come anywhere near the handling limits on the road and still be safe...so my main feeling was: 'what's the point of it all' :?: (would make a lovely track-day-car of course)

does there need to be a point? come on man, do you have petrol running through your veins or not? :wink:
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby martine » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:15 pm

stephenperry wrote:does there need to be a point? come on man, do you have petrol running through your veins or not? :wink:

Oh I'm definetely a petrol-head (cars, bikes and planes) - don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Elise but in a 'frustrated' sort of way. How do people with seriously quick cars (lambo, porsche or whatever) contain themselves?
martine

Postby stephenperry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:23 pm

with extreme difficulty i would imagine :twisted: plenty of cold showers and bromide in their tea :lol:

i suppose if you've got the kind of money to buy and run such machinery you can afford to take it on regular runs to far-away lands where speeding isn't apparently viewed by the law makers as being on a par with pre-meditated murder in the seriousness stakes
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby crr003 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:49 am

martine wrote:Never driven a VX220 but I am open to offers... :wink:

If there's a drive day somewhere sensible I'll let you sit in the passenger seat!

I agree a quick blast when it's appropriate is a nice change from 'pootling' in traffic but with something this quick (0-60 5.3 secs) it's short relief.

Trouble is a quick blast turns into a 200 mile tour. Going out for a pint of milk takes 3 hours (you can tell I'm not married......)

I defy anyone to come anywhere near the handling limits on the road and still be safe...so my main feeling was: 'what's the point of it all' :?: (would make a lovely track-day-car of course)

I'm not so much bothered with the 0-60 (mine is supposed to do 4.7S). It's the handling and overtaking (although I'm regarded as shy in this area :oops: ) that I like. And there are several people around who will take a few quid off you and show you how to drive it on and beyond the limit on airfields, which is a hoot.
What's the point? It's not for everyone, but I do it 'cos I like it and before I'm too old to get in and out of the little thing. :shock:
crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:57 am

James wrote:The original 2.2 16V is nowhere near the car the Turbo version is.

"worms can a open of" arrange into a well known phrase or saying....... :wink:

Have you driven both? The NA boys will defend to the death that theirs handles better, if slower in a straight line.

Unless you're Tiff Needell it'll be hard to see much of a difference on the road, but I know you're into straight line speed from other postings, which the turbo would win at.
crr003

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum