IAM test coming up soon...and I'm about to buy a new car!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Lenny-bun » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:00 pm

Hello everyone

I've just had the date through for my IAM test (one month from today as it happens) and I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous. To add to the excitement, I'm having to sell my car as he's on his last legs and get a new one. I'm picking it up this weekend. I'm probably being over-worried here and I know it's fear of the unknown but does anyone have any useful hints or tips for someone in my position?

thank you!

Lynette
Lenny-bun

Postby Renny » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:11 pm

In a word:

Practice

and repeat.... :lol:

Also don't forget to read the manual :oops:

Good Luck! It won't be as bad as you're imagining.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby martine » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:12 pm

Lynette,

Have you had a 'mock test'? If not ask your observer to arrange as it's useful to drive with someone strange (I'm pretty strange but that's another story).

It's normal to be nervous - your examiner will be expecting it but after the first few mins you'll be concentrating so hard you'll forget to be nervous.

Don't worry if you make the odd mistake - no one ever does the perfect drive (even the examiner) and in anycase it'll provide something to talk about at the end.

Memorise your cockpit drill - you'll get bonus points for a good one and it's an easy way to start and get into the flow.

Make sure you bring all your documents to the test (both parts of your driving licence, Insurance and MOT (if applicable)) - you can't take the test without them.

Make use of the body of valuable experience sitting next to you - ask questions at the end - most examiners treat it as an opportunity to continue the learning process with someone who's just starting their advanced driving career.

Try to enjoy it! Easier said than done but it's really not meant to be too daunting and your examiner will do their best to put you at your ease - they are looking to pass you not fail you.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby GS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Lynette

I know this sounds obvious but,

Arrive in plenty of time for the test.

Park so that moving off is easy for you. Too many candidates have to start the test reversing because they did not think about where they had parked.

Set the car's ventilating to you liking and so that it keeps the screen clear. Too many start the test without the fan on, then panic when the screen starts to fog up.
GS
GS

Postby Lenny-bun » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:54 am

All very useful advice! Many thanks indeed. Luckily I have some time on my side :)
Lenny-bun

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:44 am

Yeah, as said above make sure you read the handbook and familiarise yourself with all the controls so that you're not fumbling to find them if you need to. May also be worth seeing if your observer will take you out on a run in the new car on a test-style route so you can make sure you're familiar with the capabilities/characteristics of the car.

Oh, and practise reversing in it :oops: :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Angus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:02 pm

It could be worse...

The night before I was due to take my IAM test, the exhaust on my car went, so I had to take the test in my wife's 205 GTi, which (shame on me) I didn't much like. (ok I admit it, I couldn't drive it properly)

This one had a sensitive throttle, which meant I could kangeroo down the road like a learner on their first lesson :oops: Plus I was nervous. The first ten minutes and the manoeuvres were a nightmare.
Angus

Postby AdamW » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:35 am

Chill, the examiner is a decent chap/chapess. Prove you can drive by doing your thing and also pointing out problems/mistakes you make and how you would correct them.

Good luck.
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby jont » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:56 am

Angus wrote:It could be worse...
I had to take the test in my wife's 205 GTi, which (shame on me) I didn't much like. (ok I admit it, I couldn't drive it properly)

This one had a sensitive throttle, which meant I could kangeroo down the road like a learner on their first lesson

All 205/309 GTis I've ever come across idle badly and kangaroo if you're not really, really careful. Just one of the many idiosyncracies of those cars. I loved my 309 GTi and still would be happy to have a good 205 GTi (not that there are any around these days).
jont

Postby PeteG » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:09 pm

With the Pug GTis, I've heard that once the revs drop below (IIRC) 2500rpm, the fuel is cut off on the overrun, which is the cause of the kangarooing.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby Lenny-bun » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:07 pm

Thanks for the advice. I now have the car and have read said manual thoroughly. Driving in it is so far so good although very different (I've gone from a 1.6 MKII Golf Driver to 1.8i Mazda MX-5). I will definitely be practising the reversing though. The lack of power steering is proving a challenge! I've booked 2 practice runs with my observer before I take the test so should be fine :)
Lenny-bun

Postby Renny » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Good Luck and Enjoy
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby nuster100 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:09 pm

speaking of lack of power steering, would you have to maintain pull/push during a parking manuver if you had no power steering?

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby PeteG » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:24 pm

I didn't, and I never do anyway - far too slow when you need a lot of lock in a tight spot. But, for say turning around in an empty junction, I'll stick to pull-push.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby martine » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:50 pm

nuster100 wrote:speaking of lack of power steering, would you have to maintain pull/push during a parking manuver if you had no power steering?

Jay

It's not a requirement during parking for the IAM test (even with power steering)- it's good if you can do it but not essential. It is of course expected for 'normal' driving.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum