Enjoying a quiet drink?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:08 am

I have just stumbled across this article;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/6258851.stm

I take this to read that firefighters, will just be popping into pubs randomly, and reminding everyone that roads are dangerous. I like the incentive but surely this is not an effective way of educating road safety?

Its a bit like teaching one to "suck eggs" in my opinion... How on earth will they go about it...
James

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:38 am

I think this may be a good idea James.

I have noticed & experienced (no knock at you here, just a general observation) that the fire brigade seem keener and are more readily available to get involved in road safety issues than the police, which seems strange to me.

The Police are missing out on valuable public contact here, and are being seen more & more as just an enforcement agency rather than your local friendly bobby stuff (just my own opinion).

What is good about this story, is they seem to be approaching all road users, not just the motorist.
Nigel

Postby James » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:06 am

I just wonder how they would approach people, what they would say and what the responses might be.

I would love to do things like this and so would others but the point is we are simply not allowed. This is mainly due to revised policy, health and safety and human rights. There are no units to implement this sort of thing. I am sure there is a "Road Safety" unit within the service that deal with approaching the public at large on road safety issues, but their numbers must surely be small.
James

Postby crr003 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Nigel wrote:I have noticed & experienced (no knock at you here, just a general observation) that the fire brigade seem keener and are more readily available to get involved in road safety issues than the police, which seems strange to me.

Why? Fire/Ambulance have to get the crushed and broken bodies out of RTCs. Police don't. (Generally).
crr003

Postby Angus » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 pm

I suppose this ties in with a current Archers storyline where a character got hit on his way home from the pub (allbeit by a drunk driver).

On a similar theme, anyone else note the story where one brigade's engines are being fitted with 6 cameras to catch motorists use mobiles, bus lanes and other offences?
Angus

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Angus wrote:I suppose this ties in with a current Archers storyline where a character got hit on his way home from the pub (allbeit by a drunk driver).

On a similar theme, anyone else note the story where one brigade's engines are being fitted with 6 cameras to catch motorists use mobiles, bus lanes and other offences?

Yes, it was South Yorkshire IIRC. This sort of thing should be handled by the police. Is every T D & H going to be checking up on us now?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ipsg.glf » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm not at all convinced that this is proper use of firefighter resources. Surely their primary role is to deal with fires ie.. fighting and preventing.

However, i've never been convinced of the arguement that allows firefighters to sleep on the job. Since we are a 24 hour society, can they not
conduct checks with business on fire related issues?

But to get back to the point about educating drinkers about using the road. Shouldn't this be the remit of the local Casualty Reduction organisation?
ipsg.glf

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:24 pm

James wrote:I take this to read that firefighters, will just be popping into pubs randomly, and reminding everyone that roads are dangerous. I like the incentive but surely this is not an effective way of educating road safety?

Its a bit like teaching one to "suck eggs" in my opinion... How on earth will they go about it...

Its possibly just the slant that has been placed on it by the newspaper.

ipsg.glf wrote: I'm not at all convinced that this is proper use of firefighter resources. Surely their primary role is to deal with fires ie.. fighting and preventing.

You will probably find that they are also are talking about other fire prevention things in relation to drink.
For example a great number of housefires are the result of people going home "under the influence" and thinking, "I'll have something to eat" and on goes the chip pan or fryingpan/ grill/toaster etc to be forgotten about when they fall asleep.
Others still from drunken accidents with cigarettes falling from uncocious mouths and hands whilst falling asleep on the sofa or bed very often leading not just to injury, but loss of life.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:21 pm

The fire and resuce services attend a similar number of rescue type incidents to fires and with the co responding and community responding some services are doing for the ambulance trusts they are alot more than just water fairies these days.

Fire fighters do on the whole get a better response from the public than police officers as apart from a limited inspection and safety role they don't prosecute people. They also don't stop cars, arrest people, refuse people entry to licenced premises, confiscate cigs, booze and drugs off kids etc.
Standard Dave

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 pm

crr003 wrote:
Nigel wrote:I have noticed & experienced (no knock at you here, just a general observation) that the fire brigade seem keener and are more readily available to get involved in road safety issues than the police, which seems strange to me.

Why? Fire/Ambulance have to get the crushed and broken bodies out of RTCs. Police don't. (Generally).

Just the way I've been dragged up and personal experience I suppose.

If I'm hurt along come the paramedics, if I'm on fire along come the fire service, anything I've been up to regarding driving / riding ....along comes a copper.

At school the police used to come & talk to us about crime & drugs, then in senior years road safety, I don't remember the ambulance service or fire service ever filling that kind of role when I was younger, so I always think of police.
Nigel

Postby Standard Dave » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:15 am

Nigel a view held by many people in this country.

If it ain't on fire it must be a police responsibility.
Standard Dave

Postby crr003 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:27 am

Standard Dave wrote:If it ain't on fire it must be a police responsibility.

I don't know figures, but how many fires do firemen attend as a percentage of all the calls they attend? I thought their job description was expanded a few years ago?
crr003

Postby Standard Dave » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:21 pm

crr003 wrote:
Standard Dave wrote:If it ain't on fire it must be a police responsibility.

I don't know figures, but how many fires do firemen attend as a percentage of all the calls they attend? I thought their job description was expanded a few years ago?

When they added the Rescue bit to their names they took on RTC work and things to do with rescuing people and animals which wasn't already part of mountain or mines rescue. They are also responsible for CBRN (RNBC for the old skool) decontamination as an initial response.

I don't have the figures to hand but I think with RTCs and animal rescue some fire and rescue service do less that half their work fighting fires.

Rick or Kwakba might know the figure (and any other firefighters lurking here).
Standard Dave

Postby Nigel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:59 am

Firemen also have boats here, for messing about on the river severn rescuing people & swans normally.
Nigel

Postby kwakba » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Standard Dave wrote:The fire and resuce services attend a similar number of rescue type incidents to fires and with the co responding and community responding some services are doing for the ambulance trusts they are alot more than just water fairies these days.

Fire fighters do on the whole get a better response from the public than police officers as apart from a limited inspection and safety role they don't prosecute people. They also don't stop cars, arrest people, refuse people entry to licenced premises, confiscate cigs, booze and drugs off kids etc.

SD is correct, our job is a lot more than just putting out fires, some of us are now trained as co responders (esp. in Hampshire, where the ambulance service get approx 12p a month funding). We are trained for fires, RTC's, HAZMAT's, Lockin/trapped persons, animal rescue, water rescue, assisting ambulance, rope rescue, Home Fire Safety Checks, schools education the list is almost endless - long gone are the days when we were just water fairies.

We do have a much better response from the public than the Police, it's just the way things have gone over the years...
kwakba

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum