IAM & RoSPA

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Lenny-bun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:58 pm

I've just passed my IAM advanced driving test and I've been pondering the RoSPA test. What are other people's views on the RoSPA tests? Are they tougher to do, similar in nature, just as useful/not much different? I thought it may be a useful 'string to the bow' as I'm keen to further improve my driving but wanted to know what the general consensus was....

cheers!

L
Lenny-bun

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm

Imvho, there ain't a lot to chose between them and an IAM member should be able to sit the RoSPA test and pass and vice versa :D What the equivalence of an IAM pass in RoSPA terms is regularly debated, but the one advantage RoSPA has is its system is graded so you can excel, plus you also get a detailed written debrief report of the drive.

Personally, I did RoSPA because of the grading system and then moved up a level (or two or three!) to HPC as I wanted to focus on improving my driving and at the time there were no other alternatives :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby James » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Also with Rospa you have to be re-assessed every few years to maintain membership.
James

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:09 pm

You must have missed the recent discussion about this, buried in the ClubDriving thread. I think that in summary it is fair to say that a person who has passed the RoADAR test at the Gold level will pass the IAM test, but the reverse is not guaranteed, with a RoADAR Bronze or Silver being more likely. Of course that's not to say that the person with the IAM pass will not get a RoADAR Gold.

Within the IAM organisation you could become an observer, which will help to keep you in mind of what you are trying to achieve in your own driving when you demonstrate to others and attempt to help them reach the required level.

One advantage of taking the RoADAR test is that you get a reasonably detailed written critique, which will help you identify remaining weak areas in your driving. One point to remember is that you don't need to join a RoADAR local group and go through the observed drives process in order to take their test.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby GS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:26 pm

The basic 'pass' standard for the IAM test is about the same as a low RoSPA silver. As has been stressed already, this is a comparison of basic standards. If someone has very comfortably passed their IAM test they might get a higher RoSPA grade.
GS
GS

Postby 7db » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Popcorn. anyone?
7db

Postby James » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:53 pm

GS wrote:The basic 'pass' standard for the IAM test is about the same as a low RoSPA silver. As has been stressed already, this is a comparison of basic standards. If someone has very comfortably passed their IAM test they might get a higher RoSPA grade.

So could a Rospa Bronze be just below IAM pass then...

( :twisted: :P cowers and walks away backwards, on haunches...)
James

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:34 pm

James wrote:So could a Rospa Bronze be just below IAM pass then...

We need a comment from someone who examines or has examined for both organisations at about the same time ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:38 pm

I was only joking, after the debates that stirred up in the ClubDriving thread. It must be fair to say that a Rospa Bronze would not fall below an IAM pass, otherwise how could you pass one but not the other when they are both identical in practice?
James

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:40 pm

The first IAM test I had when I was signed off work with stress and suffering extreme red-mist could have made bronze, however it was a fail as I was doing IAM. This was what my examiner claimed who works for both the IAM and Rospa.
My examiner wasn't aware of the red-mist so the drive wouldn't have seemed as bad to him, only I was aware of the red-mist and how low my driving got.
This was from our conversation at the end of my successful IAM test with the same examiner, for that I would have got Silver.

So from that it looks like you can pass Rospa Bronze fail IAM.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby James » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Blimey and I thought people thought Rospa was harder?

I will have some popcorn now 7db...

(settles down and gets comfy)
James

Postby GS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Gareth I do examine for both.
GS
GS

Postby 7db » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Looks like we won't be needing that popcorn, then.
7db

Postby crr003 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Lenny-bun wrote:I've just passed my IAM advanced driving test and I've been pondering the RoSPA test. What are other people's views on the RoSPA tests? Are they tougher to do, similar in nature, just as useful/not much different? I thought it may be a useful 'string to the bow' as I'm keen to further improve my driving but wanted to know what the general consensus was....

Congratulations!

I think you need to wait a little while till Nigel has taken the RoADA test. No doubt the feedback will be illuminating......... :lol: :wink:

My advice would be do it anyway - it's cheap and it's more knowledge, even if the basics are the same as IAM.
crr003

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 pm

Congratulations on the IAM test pass.

It seems you and I are doing the same thing, trying for a high Rospa grade. I learnt a lot from different IAM people so hopefully we will further equip ourselves with advice from individuals from Rospa, It can only be beneficial.

Good luck, and well done. :D
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum