Number Plates

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:14 pm

Anyone got a funky number plate? I am really pleased, I bought one a few weeks ago for what I think is a bargain...

£500 bought me D17EEE. Its on the car now, no gaps, reads as DIZEEE...
James

Postby kwakba » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:57 pm

James wrote:Anyone got a funky number plate? I am really pleased, I bought one a few weeks ago for what I think is a bargain...

£500 bought me D17EEE. Its on the car now, no gaps, reads as DIZEEE...

And so, as such is illegal? Isn't that a bad image to set considering your employment?

I have noticed that a large number of cars at HQ have 999 in the number and all the station vans have HX at the start of the plate, which is our radio code for control.
kwakba

Postby 7db » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:38 am

Ticket time for non standard spacing. Think that's a 50 quid one, isn't it?
7db

Postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:35 am

Not quite sure on the technicalities of plate regs...

My decision is based on the amount of plates that are out there and they seem to get away with it. The font and size are all normal it is just the gap...

Worst case scenario I suppose is a fine and a change of plates...
Last edited by James on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Postby PeteG » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:31 am

I concur, it's a bad example to set. I think the American term "vanity plates" sums them up, really - that £500 could have gone towards much more worthwhile things IMHO.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby Darren » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:42 am

I have a plate directly relating to my name. Every member of my family hates getting in the car with me as it's very consicuous around town.

I's now going on retention as I am selling the Vectra that it was on.
Last edited by Darren on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:21 am

James I'm surprised at your attitude

I dislike seeing these messed about plates, as it could make it difficult for someone to get the number if ever they need to.

But......I was young once, catch me if you can plates on the bike (back in the days when they couldn't catch a cold let alone a motorbike) if I even had british plates on it, we had a stock of bfg's to avoid paying tax !

I guess attitude changes with age, but given your open admission of your job, I might be tempted to use your mod status and remove the thread ( I'll not do it for you, unless asked by some significant others), over to you......
Nigel

Postby jont » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:50 am

I agree with Nigel. TBH I think they're usually pathetic, and misrepresented ones should be pulled over and fined. There's no excuse for it, it may hinder tracing the vehicle if needed and really it's a bit sad. Just another way for the government to raise money off the motorist.

James wrote:hope I am not pulled, but have planned the £50 in case I am

So just like most motorists speeding then? Hardly a good attitude considering your job. And yet it seems people wonder why the public have so little respect for the police.

Jon
jont

Postby Big Err » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am

7db wrote:Ticket time for non standard spacing. Think that's a 50 quid one, isn't it?

£30 FPN here.

I've got B19ERR on normal spacing, Rennie sports the local motorway and himself on his (not divulging it on here :wink: ).

I got the number plate as birthday pressie from the Mrs, I'd have prefered a yacht.... :roll: :lol:

Eric.
Big Err

Postby ROG » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am

The Leicester IAM group were given a talk on ANPR which incorporated the misuse of number plates. If ANPR detects the misused cherished number plate 2 or 3? times, then the DVLA will take it back and issue a standard plate. No renumeration for the user. The cherished plate is not owned by the holder, it is retained by the user on license from the DVLA.
Messing around with the plate may also get you a fine from the police.
My advice:- get a plate with your name or vehicle type on it in standard form ie. X 234 SAM, D 5 SLK, A 999 COP etc.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:35 am

ROG wrote: If ANPR detects the misused cherished number plate 2 or 3? times, then the DVLA will take it back and issue a standard plate. No renumeration for the user. The cherished plate is not owned by the holder, it is retained by the user on license from the DVLA.

Sounds good to me, but how good is ANPR at spotting misused plates? ie- it may pick up a plate multiple times, but how well does it convert that to what the plate should really be displaying?
jont

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:58 pm

I too quite like the "anonymity" of a regular plate and can't see the point of paying £500 to tell people my initials/name :lol: Still, each to their own :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby nuster100 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 pm

When I get a car worthy of a private plate I will. But I wont alter the spacing of the letters.

Always fancied S220 JJR

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby Susie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:01 pm

I'm not going to be drawn on whether or not these plates are a form of vanity or not :wink: but I know that when we first had a Landcruiser with our name and details of what we did plastered on every panel - it didn't 'arf make me carefully consider everything I did behind the wheel :shock:

S :)
Susie

Postby Big Err » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Susie wrote:it didn't 'arf make me carefully consider everything I did behind the wheel :shock:

My thoughts too, with a VRM which is easy to remember, if you do do something daft its easier for someone to remember you.

Eric
Big Err

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum