Better Driving Please

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:00 pm

Good grief, he's only just arrived and already he's anticipating me ranting about something. :lol:

Anyhow welcome Gromit, I hope you will enjoy yourself here.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:48 pm

TripleS... your reputation preceeds you! :wink: Thanks for the welcome.

Same to you vonhosen.

I think I'll try not to upset too many people in here, especially the Police drivers... they are far less likely to miss me when aiming their cars! 8)

Does anybody think that we should raise the difficulty of the standard driving test, as well as incorporate motorway driving and compulsory night driving in to lessons? Would this help, Would it help stop the 'boy racer' brigade if we made the minimum age higher, or increased the minimum number of lessons?

Cost wise, lessons are prohibitive for youngsters, but that may be a good thing. Perhaps a compulsory retest every few years. Or... just ban cars altogether and make people ride one of these! :twisted: http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/
Gromit37

Postby James » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 pm

Like your thoughts but being a boy racer is an attitude that is developed post test on an unfounded belieif on ones ability. (I know).

As for upping standards and extra tests, I personally think It will just raise the number of unlicenced and uninsured drivers out there.

Did you know 1 in 3 in London do NOT have the appropriate docs? That's 33.3%
James

Postby 7db » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:18 pm

What about the other 1/3000th?
7db

Postby TripleS » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:49 am

7db wrote:What about the other 1/3000th?

Ah, a man of precision!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Søren » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:59 am

Gromit37 wrote: Now I'm off to polish on my halo and wait for the wrath of vonhosen, soren and TripleS to descend upon my head at a high rate of knots :wink:

Hi Gromit,

Nice first post,

If you have an honestly held opinion about a matter, I would never criticise it. I'd point out the reasons why I hold the opinion I do, and you might find they alter your opinion, perhaps not, but such is the beauty of forums such as these.

I've no time to discuss your post in detail, got an horrible exam in Cheltenham tomorrow, so need to get prepped for that.

Suffice to say that peoples attuitude and sense of responsibility are the most significant factors when considering driving risk. This leapfrogs such factors as lack of skill by a significant margin, especially when talking about the skill level required to attain a marginally higher speed when conditions dictate.

And subjectivity and discretion when dealing with road traffic offences has been around forever. It is vital to allow the system to function, after all, as a nation we commit something like 10 billion speeding offences every year (conservative estimate). The courts and admin systems simply couldn't cope.
But why should some of those be prosecuted and others not. Why does this number of offences not create havoc on our roads?
If you have exceeded a prosecutable margin more than 4 times in the last 3 years, can you explain why you should hold on to your licence?

Subjectivity also operates within the camera empire. Prosecutable limits have ranged from 10% (33 in a 30 limit) to 25% and more, dependant on the number of tickets being generated by each camera. Different partnerships have their own margins.

An experienced trafpol can spot a bad driving attitude very easily indeed and should be able to deal appropriately.

We need quantity rather than quality, and I'll have subjectivity over ease of capture anyday.

Ah.. my lift has arrived.

Back in a week or so. :)
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Einstein
Søren

Postby James » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:15 am

7db wrote:What about the other 1/3000th?

?
James

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am

James wrote:?

You claimed that one third is the same as 33.3%, which while being quite close, isn't entirely accurate.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:02 pm

Ah - a man of precision!
James

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Welcome Grommit.....

Nice to have you aboard...and also thanks for not including my name in your 'wrath' comment...

I'll try to give you a mention if I ever write again for 'Forresters' ;)

RC
Roadcraft

Postby 7db » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Gareth wrote:
James wrote:?

You claimed that one third is the same as 33.3%, which while being quite close, isn't entirely accurate.

An important difference should - say - that be the commission that you charge in your daily work.
7db

Postby TripleS » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Roadcraft wrote:Welcome Grommit.....

Nice to have you aboard...and also thanks for not including my name in your 'wrath' comment...

RC

Don't feel neglected 'R' - I'm sure it was merely an oversight on Gromit's part. :wink:

I see the typing speed is still up to scratch. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:02 pm

TripleS wrote:I see the typing speed is still up to scratch. :lol:

You referring to my 60+wpm ? 8)
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:20 pm

Roadcraft wrote:
TripleS wrote:I see the typing speed is still up to scratch. :lol:

You referring to my 60+wpm ? 8)

I suppose I must have been. Very impressive speed - shame about the accuracy. :P

BTW, are you joining Chris Kay's little gathering on 5 Nov. or will you be too busy with your fireworks ?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby vonhosen » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Søren wrote:

We need quantity rather than quality,........

Did you mean that ?
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum