Better Driving Please

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Søren wrote:Suffice to say that peoples attuitude and sense of responsibility are the most significant factors when considering driving risk. This leapfrogs such factors as lack of skill by a significant margin, especially when talking about the skill level required to attain a marginally higher speed when conditions dictate.

Couldn't agree more...someone with poor skill but the right attitude will recognise this and drive slowly and considerately and probably not pose a huge risk: someone with the wrong attitude will probably drive at inappropriate speed, and take risks even though in car control terms, they may be skilful.

Difficult to nail 'wrong attitude' offenders though unless they are seen by trafpol.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:53 pm

martine wrote:
Søren wrote:Suffice to say that peoples attuitude and sense of responsibility are the most significant factors when considering driving risk. This leapfrogs such factors as lack of skill by a significant margin, especially when talking about the skill level required to attain a marginally higher speed when conditions dictate.

Couldn't agree more...someone with poor skill but the right attitude will recognise this and drive slowly and considerately and probably not pose a huge risk: someone with the wrong attitude will probably drive at inappropriate speed, and take risks even though in car control terms, they may be skilful.

Difficult to nail 'wrong attitude' offenders though unless they are seen by trafpol.

It must be difficult to nail anybody unless you use cameras and deal only with wicked speeders, and maybe red light jumpers, yellow box blockers etc.

BTW, I'm trying to get Steve (one of your Observer colleagues) to join in at an ADUK day. Can you have a word with him and do a bit of persuading?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:09 pm

Søren wrote:
Gromit37 wrote: Now I'm off to polish on my halo and wait for the wrath of vonhosen, soren and TripleS to descend upon my head at a high rate of knots :wink:

Hi Gromit,

Nice first post,

If you have an honestly held opinion about a matter, I would never criticise it. I'd point out the reasons why I hold the opinion I do, and you might find they alter your opinion, perhaps not, but such is the beauty of forums such as these.

I've no time to discuss your post in detail, got an horrible exam in Cheltenham tomorrow, so need to get prepped for that.

Suffice to say that peoples attuitude and sense of responsibility are the most significant factors when considering driving risk. This leapfrogs such factors as lack of skill by a significant margin, especially when talking about the skill level required to attain a marginally higher speed when conditions dictate.

And subjectivity and discretion when dealing with road traffic offences has been around forever. It is vital to allow the system to function, after all, as a nation we commit something like 10 billion speeding offences every year (conservative estimate). The courts and admin systems simply couldn't cope.
But why should some of those be prosecuted and others not. Why does this number of offences not create havoc on our roads?
If you have exceeded a prosecutable margin more than 4 times in the last 3 years, can you explain why you should hold on to your licence?

Subjectivity also operates within the camera empire. Prosecutable limits have ranged from 10% (33 in a 30 limit) to 25% and more, dependant on the number of tickets being generated by each camera. Different partnerships have their own margins.

An experienced trafpol can spot a bad driving attitude very easily indeed and should be able to deal appropriately.

We need quantity rather than quality, and I'll have subjectivity over ease of capture anyday.

Ah.. my lift has arrived.

Back in a week or so. :)

I missed Roadcraft off my list! Sorry, I'll remembr next time. :)

I'll, make this my last post on the matter. I'll end up getting a reputation as a troublemaker!

Soren (and anybody in general that won't fall asleep after the first 2 lines of this) :wink: You will soon be of the opinion that I have some strong, erm... opinions (just don't get me started on drink drivers!)

I'm in agreement with you in principle on much of this. But the subjectivity aspect is, well... subjective! At least with a camera, the limit will be set at say 10% above the quoted limit. That will be constant. Any driver doing above 33mph in a 30mph zone will be fined. As a driver, it is MY responsibility to take in to account road conditions, other road users, vehicles AND the speed limit. It's a whole package. So I know beforehand, as most drivers do, that there is likely to be around 10% leeway in the limit, and I must adjust my behaviour accordingly. I will often travel at one or two mph (indicated) than the posted limit. I take a risk that my speedo underestimates the actual speed, and that there is 10% leeway in any speed trap. If I'm wrong, well I suffer the consequences. So far, I've been lucky. This system takes no account that the person involved might be a Police advanced driver on an otherwise empty road who *could* handle it safely at 40mph.

But the system shouldn't take it in to account. It should only take in to account the lowest common denominator. The dreaded "average" driver that has reached only the minimum standard to be on the road. We are all taught the same basic things, and although there might be many ways of improving our driving skill, it isn't in fact compulsory. We only have to stay at the minimum approved standard. Therefore, that is what everything should be based on.

In a situation where police discretion comes in to the equation, I suspect that a driver that gets pulled over in the above situation and is indeed an off duty Police 'Advanced' driver would be let off. Whereas I wouldn't. Does his skill guarantee that he won't have an accident? No. It might REDUCE the chances, but if an accident happens at 40mph which would not have happened if travelling at 30mph... what the hell difference does it make how good a driver is? He was over the limit, it contributed to the accident. Guilty! In which case, why should the application of the law be any different? What if he's a professional stunt driver? Is that still ok? Or maybe an advanced driver, at RoSPA bronze level? What if he's all of the above yet 70 years old and blind in one eye? Where do you draw the line?

At least with cameras, we have some kind of uniformity. Everybody gets the same. There has to be a balance of course. Speeding isn't the only problem, but it is a factor in lots of accidents. But with speed, taken in *isolation*, should the Police base their reaction to speeding solely on the percieved skill of the driver? This is the subjective part that doesn't sit well with me. Speed is just part of the 'package'. I have to abide by all the other rules, and shouldn't flout them. If I disregard one part of the package, how long before I disregard lots of them? Can you fine somebody who stays within the law, but has a bad attitude? No, you can't see an attitude, you can only see the consequences of that attitude... and speeding is one of them. As is driving too close, being aggressive and the like. So, how do you know the speeding is part of a bad attitude, or a safe, well thought out attitude when the outward sign (speeding) is the same in both cases? Ah, yes... it's subjective.

Repeated offences deserve revocation of the license. Education needs to be reinforced as we all get in to bad habits and let things slip. Compulsory re-tests perhaps? Unfortunately, you can't force a person's attitude to change by making retests compulsory, but you can reinforce the consequences of inappropriate behaviour.

*** Inflamatory comments ***

To be honest, relying on people to drive within their limits, the road conditions and the limits of their vehicles is never going to work. We simply cannot be trusted to do it. So put speed cameras everywhere. Make it so that people simply don't have chance to speed without fear of prosecution. Eventually we will all just accept it. While we're at it, make it detect the distances between vehicles, and it can come down hard on tailgating. Then the accident rate would fall. Yes, it's very simplistic, yes it's drastic, a tad unfeasible, and political suicide... but a vehicle is like a loaded gun without the safety catch being engaged. And the roads are a VERY busy target range. Treat us like children, cossett us, herd us but don't pander to us and spoil us. We should know better, but we can't help it. We're just too busy and self important to behave like responsible people, or we just like the thrill of it. Nobody is prepared to take responsibility for their actions, so somebody needs to do it for us. Consequences? What consequences? :evil:

Do we really revert to being 12 years old when we get in a car? :(

Any opinions given in the above text are the inane ramblings of a complete idiot... ME! I make no excuses for myself. Just give me my tablets and put me in a corner somewhere. With a bar of chocolate if you please.
Gromit37

Postby vonhosen » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:16 pm

Tailgating cameras are due to go on trial in Oxfordshire.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 pm

Utter dismay about sums it up.

<wanders off shaking head wearily>

We'll have to have a little chat Gromit, meanwhile take care. I'm off to read that nice new book by Steve Haley.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby crr003 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:38 am

Gromit37 wrote:... but a vehicle is like a loaded gun without the safety catch being engaged....

Haven't heard that for a while.
Not on an advanced driving forum.
crr003

Postby Gareth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 am

crr003 wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:... but a vehicle is like a loaded gun without the safety catch being engaged....

Not on an advanced driving forum.

More to the point it's needlessly dramatic and doesn't work well as a metaphor; most loaded guns don't also seriously injure the person pulling the trigger.

It's nice to have the chance to discuss issues like these, but playing to emotional reactions just doesn't cut it. This is probably the reason for the situation we're in - politicians chasing popularity rather than trying to put in place well thought out policies.

The general policy of dumbing down driving, automating detection of infractions and extending the systems of detection to become pervasive doesn't take into account the normal human reaction to go outside the system.

Perhaps some of the police officers will tell us once again about the number of people driving without insurance, without having passed the DSA test, or having incorrect number plates. It would be nice to know the trend as well, and whether the numbers have changed significantly over the last twenty years in a way that wouldn't be expected.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ipsg.glf » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:28 am

Gromit37

You say that we should put cameras everywhere.

Presumably you are OK with the idea that as long as collisions occur at or below the speed limit, this is acceptable?

Are you aware that the majority of collision occur at below the relevant speed limit?

If speed over a given limit accounts for 5% of collisions, how will cameras deal with the remaining 95%?
ipsg.glf

Postby Big Err » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Speed Cameras?

Can't we get Dope Cameras too?

On this slightly off topic theme, I think the best motorway VMS signing I've seen up here was 'Speed Kills' followed by 'Dont take Drugs and Drive'.

Ok, you can re-commence your arguments :wink: .

Eric.
Big Err

Postby Tony Hoyle » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:13 pm

Big Err wrote:On this slightly off topic theme, I think the best motorway VMS signing I've seen up here was 'Speed Kills' followed by 'Dont take Drugs and Drive'.

Clearly, since you wouldn't have both hands on the steering wheel whilst taking the drugs. You should pull up in a safe location first.
Tony Hoyle

Postby stuartb » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 pm

But we're encouraged to stop for a coffee or other caffeine laden drink if tired.

I just don't know anymore :shock: (too much Pro-plus)
stuartb

Postby Big Err » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:24 pm

stuartb wrote:But we're encouraged to stop for a coffee or other caffeine laden drink if tired.
(too much Pro-plus)

Too much coffee, too much coffee. Did you say coffee? Did he say coffee? Coffee?
Big Err

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:22 pm

Hmmm... I thought my comments might awaken some of you :D Apologies for playing the devil's advocate. Yes, they were deliberately inflamtory, yes, the metaphors were designed to grab attention rather than be 100% accurate. In fact, metaphors rarely accurately describe the situations and behaviours they attempt to describe. My views on driving, and the way to improve driving would be a little less draconian (honestly... they are! :oops: ). But there are people who have that very attitude, and it seems to be gaining momentum. Pressure groups, politicians and god knows who else jump on a bandwagon (not always for the right reasons, especially the politicians :twisted: ) because being nice to people and asking them to be more careful doesn't seems to have an imediate and lasting effect.

But there are a few salient points to bear in mind.

For most people (please not that I say "most" and not "all"), driving is a means to an end. It is not the objective, it is merely a means of getting to that objecive. For most, driving itself is not something they actively pursue, and in many cases, they don't enjoy it. If we are told that by passing your driving test, you are able to drive on the roads, that is as far as people will go. Compare that to those who participate in this (and similar) forums. We are looking at it from a fundamentally different viewpoint. Our view is as valid as those of the majority of drivers, but we have a different mindset. Advanced drivers and those that aspire to be, see driving differently. Some of you do it for a living, some of you do it for safety and some for their own personal satisfaction. Rightly or wrongly, we are also in the minority.

Owing partially to the fact that there is no compulsory re-testing of driving standards, we all develop bad habits. We are all human (well mostly... I have my moments :oops: ) and we all have an ego. We also drive a ton of metal at speeds of 70mph (we never speed do we?). We have been certified as good enough to drive a car. We are all "adults" and we "know" how to handle a car I have the license to prove it)... just as we "know" our limits. We are all sensible. We do not walk around with loaded guns and the safety catch off, because that would be stupid.

For a moment, take a step back from the ideal world, what 'advanced drivers' are striving to do and the ways we are trying to do it.

Quite literally, stupid things happen. Somewhere in the world, somebody will have shot themselves or somebody else by accident. Fortunately, most of us in this country do not routinely carry guns. If we did, there would be a lot of deaths. People do silly things, no matter what you tell them. Chip pan fires, cigarette fires, fireworks burning people, electrocution... some of the things we hear about are so silly, we laugh. Nobody could do something so daft could they? Yes they can, and they do.

Each year, there are over 3000 deaths involving motor vehicles. Think about it. Take the pupils from three or four inner city comprehensive schools, put them in a car park and detonate a large amount of explosives. How would that read on the news? 9/11 all over again and it's a headline for years. Spread it over a country in small numbers, and it's hardly worth anybody's time. But it's a huge number. I looked at some of the figures for previous years, and it scares me. The number of deaths and serious injuries each year are huge. Forget the numbers as a percentage of all road users etc... just look at the numbers. People. Family members, mothers, fathers, children etc. Lives wrecked and changed forever. By people using cars. Mostly it is people who are at fault, not the cars. Driving is a BIG responsibility, but not enough emphasis is placed on reinforcing this.

I wouldn't want speed cameras everywhere, but I can see it coming. I don't want a car who's speed is electronically limited or controlled by boxes by the roadside to make sure we bahave properly. I don't want satelites monitoring my driving. These are draconian methods. We SHOULD be allowed to make sensible choices. The real question is "can we be trusted to do it?"

Looking here on the forums, I would say yes, we can. Looking on the roads each day... I'm not so sure. Cars are a recent invention. They are not part of our natrual world, we have to learn the right skills to use them. It's the nature of people to take risks and shortcuts. Quite how we tame or undo a few million years of evolution in a few decades is something we haven't figured out. How we compensate for that is just a big a mystery. Back to speed cameras then? :(

ipsg

ipsg.glf Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gromit37

You say that we should put cameras everywhere.

Presumably you are OK with the idea that as long as collisions occur at or below the speed limit, this is acceptable?

Are you aware that the majority of collision occur at below the relevant speed limit?

If speed over a given limit accounts for 5% of collisions, how will cameras deal with the remaining 95%?

Actually, I am not happy that collisions occur at all. But imagine if those accidents that did occurr had actually occurred at 10 - 20mph faster. We have limits in place and if they are seen to be enforced, people by and large drive with SOME regard to that limit, even if not at the limit. Now imagine that everybody left a sensible gap, watched the road carefully and drove as they should. Now find a way of reconciling the two. Easy as pie :wink:

**** more inflamatory comments *****

crr003 Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gromit37 wrote:
... but a vehicle is like a loaded gun without the safety catch being engaged....

Not on an advanced driving forum

Maybe we're all to 'advanced' to think of the similarity. It may not be a pleasant or exact comparison. But the effects can be similar. Enter a crowded area, carelessly point a lump of metal in a given direction, apply acelleration to relatively high speed (compared to human walking) and see the carnage that *can* happen. If it's not advanced enough for you, or you don't like to think of it in that way, that's fine. Unfortunately, most people don't. Hence the 3000+ deaths per year.
Gromit37

Postby crr003 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Maybe we're all to 'advanced' to think of the similarity. It may not be a pleasant or exact comparison. But the effects can be similar. Enter a crowded area, carelessly point a lump of metal in a given direction, apply acelleration to relatively high speed (compared to human walking) and see the carnage that *can* happen. If it's not advanced enough for you, or you don't like to think of it in that way, that's fine. Unfortunately, most people don't. Hence the 3000+ deaths per year.

Oh - thanks for explaining. I didn't realize it was over 3000 deaths a year that were speed related.
crr003

Postby Nigel » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:15 pm

vonhosen wrote:Tailgating cameras are due to go on trial in Oxfordshire.

How are these going to work ? (assuming you know !)

I can think of situations, normally when muppets have seen the talivan at the last moment, and caused me to use my braking distance to slow whilst trying to give drivers behind a chance to slow, this now leaves me "tailgating" the muppet who didn't realise he wasn't above the speed limit anyway, and now leaves several of us open to be accused of tailgating, when weve only used our braking distance for what it was intended for.
Nigel

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum