Suitable cars for new drivers

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby AlistairL » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 am

Porker wrote:What do folks think might suit him? I should mention that he is about 6'2" tall, so it's going to need to be able to accommodate a big driver.

regards
P.
I'm 6'5" and found had a Peugeot 106 as a loan car from the garage a few years ago and it was a right hoot to drive. Citroen AX's had too much dashboard and it got caught on my size 14s.

Had a Cinquecento as another loan car (can't spell that either) but it was too narrow for my fat frame.

As length of legs and torso varies, it is a case of trying different cars out, thankfully you tend to be a bit more flexible when younger so folding legs etc isn't as much of a problem.

Alistair.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby jont » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 pm

AlistairL wrote:I'm 6'5" and found had a Peugeot 106 as a loan car from the garage a few years ago and it was a right hoot to drive. Citroen AX's had too much dashboard and it got caught on my size 14s.

Small french cars are generally a hoot to drive, but I wouldn't want to have an accident in a 106 or AX. 306s are quite cheap, and quite a bit sturdier than the little 106. You could also think about a Citroen Xsara - which is mechanically a 306, but doesn't have the image so is often a lot cheaper than an equivalent 306.
jont

Postby Porker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 pm

TripleS wrote:It would have been tricky, though no doubt fun, in the Sprite

The bonnet would have been pleasantly warm if you'd taken the time to get everything up to working temperature 8)

P.
Porker

Postby jasonh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Citreons are rubbish for tall drivers, or they were when I last tried. Despite knowing my height, the driving school sent a fat woman in a Saxo round. After ten minutes of trying to drive with my knees up my nose and with my feet covering two pedals at any one time we decided it was a bad idea.
jasonh

Postby AlistairL » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 pm

jasonh wrote:Citreons are rubbish for tall drivers, or they were when I last tried. Despite knowing my height, the driving school sent a fat woman in a Saxo round. After ten minutes of trying to drive with my knees up my nose and with my feet covering two pedals at any one time we decided it was a bad idea.
What do you drive now? I'm driving a 2003 Passat (the one before the current shape) which is ok but could do with a couple of inches more legroom to be better.

A.
AlistairL

Postby jasonh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:07 pm

AlistairL wrote:
jasonh wrote:Citreons are rubbish for tall drivers, or they were when I last tried. Despite knowing my height, the driving school sent a fat woman in a Saxo round. After ten minutes of trying to drive with my knees up my nose and with my feet covering two pedals at any one time we decided it was a bad idea.
What do you drive now? I'm driving a 2003 Passat (the one before the current shape) which is ok but could do with a couple of inches more legroom to be better.

A.

Currently a '97 Rover 620Si. Just about roomy enough although the big steering wheel makes getting in and out tough in the garage, and nobody tall can sit behind me of course!
jasonh

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Porker wrote:
TripleS wrote:It would have been tricky, though no doubt fun, in the Sprite

The bonnet would have been pleasantly warm if you'd taken the time to get everything up to working temperature 8)

P.

Yes, I suppose so, although the small engine tended to cool down fairly quickly, which suggests a quickie might be the order of the day....and there's still the problem of the frog-eye headlights on the Mark 1. Life is full of little problems. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Older Corsa is boring but competent (and slow), and I recommend the little Ford Ka. That was *fun* to drive and cheap to run. Watch out for rust on some of the older modesl though.
Gromit37

Postby martine » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:28 pm

All this talk of 'room in the back' and bonnets being warm...just don't understand it...I suppose a van is useful for transporting your stamp collection etc...I expect that's what you meant. :oops:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Why_Aye » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Renny wrote:I'd go with the KA if her vcan get comfy. Otherwise the LAnd Rover option is also good for cheap insurance and lowish running costs (if the mileage is kept down)

No problem on fuel costs - run it on veg oil at as little as 30 pence a litre and you're laughing!
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Postby AlistairL » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Older Corsa is boring but competent (and slow),
I tried a corsa once, but my feet covered two pedals at a time. Nice stereo though. :)
AlistairL

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Older Corsa is boring but competent (and slow)

Depends which one you get - the 1.6 GSi was a hoot, and don't get me started on the Calibra turbo powered ones ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby manilva15b » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:15 am

All this talk of safety cells etc...

I thought the idea was not to have the accident in the first place. I know from experience that feeling vulnerable (especially on a bike) helps to keep your attention on safety.

Anything with a rag top would of course be nice, and has the bonus that the wind noise helps keep the speed down. I run a Suzuki Samurai (6-seater as a family car), and find that the combination of 4x4 and soft top is quite enough to moderate the speed (those and the basic suspension, reduced grip tyres, etc). Just don't expect good economy.
manilva15b

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am

manilva15b wrote:I thought the idea was not to have the accident in the first place. I know from experience that feeling vulnerable (especially on a bike) helps to keep your attention on safety.

That's all well and good in theory, but it's nice to have something to fall back on if you have a momentary lapse, you hit that patch of invisible diesel on the road, or you have a mechanical failure which causes you to lose control. No-one is infallible.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Red Herring » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:16 am

manilva15b wrote:
Anything with a rag top would of course be nice, and has the bonus that the wind noise helps keep the speed down.

But you live in Spain.......you lucky thing!
Red Herring

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum