IAM membership fee increase...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Silk wrote:The annual membership is worth it for Surety alone.

This weekend's RoADAR e-mail mentions 25% discount with Adrian Flux. Now I don't know where their quotes start, but when RoSPA used a broker in Devon who used General Accident, he would always match any quote from a reputable insurer (ie not Lloyds syndicates)

Personally, I think RoADAR offers far better value than the IAM
Angus

Postby jont » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:10 pm

Angus wrote:This weekend's RoADAR e-mail mentions 25% discount with Adrian Flux. Now I don't know where their quotes start, but when RoSPA used a broker in Devon who used General Accident, he would always match any quote from a reputable insurer (ie not Lloyds syndicates)

My experience is that Adrian Flux offer huge discounts to a large array of groups. However whenever I've phoned them for a quote it's always been outrageously expesive even with a discout, so I think it's just a marketing gimmic.
jont

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:26 pm

My experience of AF is slightly different to Jon's and they weighed in at 200 quid less than the next best quote on the Mondeo. Seemed to be related to the 25% discount for holding ROADAR. I also squeezed them down a little more with a "price match" ;)

As with all things, that was 6 months ago so in another 6 months when I come to renew I'm sure it will have all changed! :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby crr003 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Angus wrote:
martine wrote:You also have to be a National member to be a local group member (clever huh?).

I'm not sure that you do. My group has "associate" members for those who can't/don't want to pass the test, but want to be involved or come to meetings. I think we charge a slightly higher fee than for full members

The Group Handbook talks about "Group Friends" for this flavour of member.
crr003

Postby Big Err » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 pm

ROG wrote:
jont wrote:Out of interest, what does the £28/yr get you as a member? RoSPA we get our retests paid for but with IAM you're not doing that.

We get a 'really nice' glossy mag 3 times a year and access to a 'really modern' members forum on the IAM website and we can put IAM stickers on our vehicles :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you get the daft press releases from the IAM Motoring Trust :roll:
Big Err

Postby Custom24 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:51 pm

This price increase is not good news. The only reason I am a member of IAM national and local is so I can observe. It's all I am getting out of it at the moment. When you look at it from this viewpoint, I am now going to be paying nearly £50 a year just so I can help others pass their test??? I don't bother claiming petrol expenses for my demo drives either from my associates or from the group, but I am starting to feel my "point of principle" coming on.
Custom24

Postby Big Err » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Custom24 wrote:This price increase is not good news. The only reason I am a member of IAM national and local is so I can observe. It's all I am getting out of it at the moment. When you look at it from this viewpoint, I am now going to be paying nearly £50 a year just so I can help others pass their test??? I don't bother claiming petrol expenses for my demo drives either from my associates or from the group, but I am starting to feel my "point of principle" coming on.

I concur.
Big Err

Postby Angus » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 pm

Spoke to an IAM bod at the motorshow today. He admitted that the fees were likely to be going up but he didn't know how much, and thought it unlikely that they would be going up excessively.

In return they are working at additional discounts for members. The one quoted was 10% at Halfords - buy £100 of vouchers for £90.

Incidentally, IAM membership is about 125,000. That only gives them an income from members of about £2.2m. I assume that they have significant income from other sources, but I can't find their accounts summary on the web site to see the details.
Angus

Postby martine » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Angus wrote:Incidentally, IAM membership is about 125,000. That only gives them an income from members of about £2.2m. I assume that they have significant income from other sources, but I can't find their accounts summary on the web site to see the details.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/AccountListing.asp?charitynumber=249002
Some money is transferred from IAM Fleet to the charity although apparently this is reducing hence the 'need' to increase membership fees.

The proposed increase is from £17.50 to £28 per year so that's a 57% increase by my calculations.

Not good.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:56 am

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/re ... ber=249002

If they get too much money then the commission take the excess as registered charities are only allowed to keep so much over the break-even point.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:21 am

Angus wrote:In return they are working at additional discounts for members. The one quoted was 10% at Halfords - buy £100 of vouchers for £90.

I think that's a fairly standard Halfords discount. (IIRC RoSPA members have the same). I don't want to be disparaging, but there are an awful lot of companies offering "discounts" only to find them on every forum you register on - in which case it's hardly a unique benefit.
jont

Postby Angus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:51 pm

Martin, Rog, thanks for the CC link.

I'm surprised how small the institute's total turnover is.
Angus

Postby 7db » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 pm

jont wrote:
Angus wrote:In return they are working at additional discounts for members. The one quoted was 10% at Halfords - buy £100 of vouchers for £90.

I think that's a fairly standard Halfords discount. (IIRC RoSPA members have the same). I don't want to be disparaging, but there are an awful lot of companies offering "discounts" only to find them on every forum you register on - in which case it's hardly a unique benefit.

Sevens club gets that too
7db

Postby martine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Just received a letter sent to all IAM group secretarys confirming the membership increase to be £28 (or £30 for non-direct debit payers). This is subject to the IAM AGM in November but since the IAM council have already approved it, I'd have thought that's pretty academic. The price increase is from 1st Jan 2009.

Skill for Life pricing is 'under review' but will reflect at least this increase and may be more.

Interestingly they are suggesting a refund of 10 memberships fees (£280) to groups who achieve 30 test passes in a year as a way of encouraing the most active observers and groups. It's up to each group how they use the money.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks for the update Martin.

martine wrote:It's up to each group how they use the money.

Party!
crr003

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum