Europe wants us to keep headlights on ALL day

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MGF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:41 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
MGF wrote:Information from the consutation is here if anyone is interested.

There was also an e-petition which received a response on the issue here....

Chris

"Further to its consultation, recent discussions with the EC now lead us to conclude that it may not press for early adoption of mandatory daytime running lights"

Well it appears the Commission is listening to the concerns which is good news.
MGF

Postby TripleS » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:32 pm

MGF wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

"Further to its consultation, recent discussions with the EC now lead us to conclude that it may not press for early adoption of mandatory daytime running lights"

"....may not press for the early adoption...."

Nope, I don't trust the bu99ers. I want the proposal withdrawn completely until it becomes quite clear that there is a significant benefit to be had.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby nodigitsever » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:39 pm

will I be expected after 39 years of driving without daytime lights to remember to turn mine on or get a fine?

moving the goal posts methinks?

bollocks to the lot of them lol

I still ask for a Quarter Pound of ham at the deli and always will!

try stopping me from using my traditional measure if you dare! :evil:

after all my Head of State and Sovereign DID Swear on Oath to "Govern me according to MY Laws and Customs didn't She?), (1953 Coronation Oath)

what's that?, a sworn Oath is worthless?, you mean therefore that an Oath I Swear in Court is also worthless?, surely not? :evil:
nodigitsever

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:31 am

nodigitsever wrote:will I be expected after 39 years of driving without daytime lights to remember to turn mine on or get a fine?

moving the goal posts methinks?

bollocks to the lot of them lol

I still ask for a Quarter Pound of ham at the deli and always will!

try stopping me from using my traditional measure if you dare! :evil:

after all my Head of State and Sovereign DID Swear on Oath to "Govern me according to MY Laws and Customs didn't She?), (1953 Coronation Oath)

what's that?, a sworn Oath is worthless?, you mean therefore that an Oath I Swear in Court is also worthless?, surely not? :evil:

Good grief - the man speaks my language. Well said.

....39 years though? Pah - a mere beginner. That aged fellow from Shropshire can put that in the shade. :lol:

Actually I've a feeling he started a bit later than me. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:19 pm

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:

....39 years though? Pah - a mere beginner. That aged fellow from Shropshire can put that in the shade. :lol:

Actually I've a feeling he started a bit later than me. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Good morning, you young tyke. :lol: Well, I learned to drive in 1957 while in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force. I was working at a remote squadron dispersal & learned on a 1 ton Bedford truck with a crash gearbox, then graduated to the Land Rover & was given my airfield driving licence. I have to admit that I didn't get my civvy licence until 1962.

Cheers, Chris.

Ah, so I was partially right. So we both started in 1957.

By 'eck it could make one feel old; but somehow it doesn't. I think it's the rebellious attitude that helps. :wink:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:26 pm

TripleS wrote:
MGF wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

Nope, I don't trust the bu99ers. I want the proposal withdrawn completely until it becomes quite clear that there is a significant benefit to be had.

That No 10 response? Dated "9 February 2007" . . .

Overtaken by events?

And I agree with TripleS, unless there's a clear benefit it should be scrapped.

It really pigs me off when I see new Audis, then notice their bright LED daytime lights, and then think "Well if I'm supposed to need the aid of lights to be able to see it in daylight, why have Audi seen fit to paint it black . . ?"
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Rabiedmushroom » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:56 pm

I find a lot of posh modern cars have very bright glaring headlights which dazzle me. Its bad enough at night trying to adjust my mirror or divert my gaze to the kerb as it is. Let alone ALL the time...!

I agree about the comments re motorcycles. As a bike rider myself I think it would reduce one of the few daytime visual advantages they can have amongst cars and trucks.
Rabiedmushroom

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Horse wrote:
TripleS wrote:
MGF wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

And I agree with TripleS, unless there's a clear benefit it should be scrapped.

It really pigs me off when I see new Audis, then notice their bright LED daytime lights, and then think "Well if I'm supposed to need the aid of lights to be able to see it in daylight, why have Audi seen fit to paint it black . . ?"

Be nice if the UK Govt put forward - strongly - the TRL's view's on this:
http://www.trl.co.uk/files/newsletters/ ... 01sept.pdf
Page 5

Past research has merely accepted the drivers’ statement that they did not actually see the high-conspicuity vehicle and so has invested effort in making vehicles physically more noticeable by increasing the light emitted or reflected by vehicle high conspicuity marking schemes.

However, evidence from psychology and the fact that people still crash into bright conspicuous vehicles suggests that just addressing physical visibility factors is relatively naïve.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby michael769 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:26 am

Horse wrote:
Past research has merely accepted the drivers’ statement that they did not actually see the high-conspicuity vehicle and so has invested effort in making vehicles physically more noticeable by increasing the light emitted or reflected by vehicle high conspicuity marking schemes.

However, evidence from psychology and the fact that people still crash into bright conspicuous vehicles suggests that just addressing physical visibility factors is relatively naïve.

Which translates to:

If a driver does not bother to look outside their car and crashes as a result they blame the car for being invisible.

Bad car bad invisible car. :D
michael769

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 am

michael769 wrote:
Horse wrote:

Which translates to:

If a driver does not bother to look outside their car and crashes as a result they blame the car for being invisible.

Bad car bad invisible car. :D

Bad invisible motorcycle, crumpled invisible motorcyclist :(

Even the bike in the latest TV ad has its headlamp on . . .
Horse

Postby MGF » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Is it naive for a motorcyclist to put his headlamps on believing it will make him more visible? Or is a m/c inconspicuous?

Just addressing physical factors would be naive if those doing so believe that is the only problem.

Seems prefectly possible that those doing so believe it is only part of the problem but still wish to address that part.

You can argue that any road safety initiative is naive if it only addresses part of the problem. Indeed improving skills is relatively naive if there isn't an improvement in attitude.
MGF

Postby Gareth » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:03 am

MGF wrote:Is it naive for a motorcyclist to put his headlamps on believing it will make him more visible?

I would think so, (I don't know if motorcyclists do think this, btw).

When I drive on narrow roads I turn the headlamps on but I try to drive the same way as if they were not on. My hope it that they will benefit by making my car visible in the distance to anything coming the other way - people often catch glimpses of things that bother them at the subconscious level - but relying on another driver to consciously see something is rather optimistic.

Edited to add: some years ago when I was working in London, and driving in each day, I used headlights during daylight hours. I small number of driver noticed enough to flash me - I imagine they felt they were letting me know that I'd forgotten to turn my lights off, but a fair proportion seemed to do so in an agitated manner.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Why_Aye » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:22 am

Is it my imagination going mad or am I right in saying that Sweden were the first to introduce DRL (in the late seventies, I think) as a means of making it more obvious that a vehicle had its ignition 'on' and therefore was either moving or prone to move? These lights are nowhere near so bright as head lights.

I seem to recall we also had a "dim dip" system here for a very short period - perhaps in the very early eighties.

Yes indeed. I have to make many allowances for drivers not 'seeing' me, even though I most often drive a white Landrover (tall, menacing, evil car (apparently)). I even had a driver come across my right of way and stop in front of me because the car in front of her had stopped over the give way line. She looked to her right and looked very shocked to see me waiting there (patiently, I hasten to add).

It is quite incredible the different driving behaviour I see when I compare it between when driving a 'normal' car and a Landrover. When driving the Landrover, people don't tend to do silly things in front of me - however when I am driving a car they do try to be pushy, particularly when I drive a small car. They simply "don't see" the Landrover...

From the point of view of a psychologist I'd love to know why.
[/quote]
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum