Xmas list?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:10 pm

jbsportstech wrote:...... one of the new tomtom 40 series units,

I am trying to decide whether I want one as an upgrade from a 920, which is great. I don't think I could bring myself to subscribe to 'Live' at £8 per month, and without that it may not be a good choice.
Last edited by waremark on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 pm

A day with a top coach?

A weekend in Scotland or Wales?

A track day?

Some new tyres before they are worn to the limit?

An Ipod (I don't have such a thing) to take advantage of the Ipod interface in my car?

And in the realm of things I am not going to get, membership of P1 Club (essentially a supercar hire scheme).
waremark

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:22 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:IAM grille badge :lol:

Chris

Pah, worthless status symbols.......said he who still hasn't managed to acquire one.

Actually, I didn't know they still did grille badges, I thought they were now just the sort that needed sticking somewhere.

Actually that could be read as a bit rude. I meant windscreen or rear window, or both - or do they only supply one?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:34 pm

waremark wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:...... one of the new tomtom 40 series units,

I am trying to decide whether I want one as an upgrade from a 920, which is great. I don't think I could bring myself to subscribe to 'Live' at £8 per month, and without that it may not be a good choice.

Yeh tomtom are starting to get on my nerves. I bought the 520T music to replace my one(150 quid bargin on ebay) in april. Then the release the 30 series in july ok fair enough! but then 40 series the end of oct! 30 series is a rip the software and extra features can be added to 20 series with latest map and op system. You have to pay the 8 quid upfront for the year you can't pay it monthly as well plus the want me to buy a new map for 49 quid! :shock:
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Sru_1980 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:19 pm

A Lambourghini....!!! :lol: Ok, not practical or realistic, but I can dream, can't I??! 8)
Sru_1980

Postby JamesAllport » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:19 pm

Contributions towards another day with one of the famous name coaches. (on the assumption that Santa will decide I haven't been a good enough boy to get a Bristol Fighter... :D )

J.
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby Custom24 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Has anyone ever done one of those rally driving days with the likes of Red Letter days? I was actually thinking of asking for something like that, but I don't know if they're any good. I've heard good and bad about things like that.
Custom24

Postby jont » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:32 pm

Custom24 wrote:Has anyone ever done one of those rally driving days with the likes of Red Letter days? I was actually thinking of asking for something like that, but I don't know if they're any good. I've heard good and bad about things like that.

I think it depends on the venue. Firstly I wouldn't pay over the odds by going via a company like Red Letter days (or whoever they are these days). Go direct to the rally schools. Secondly, unless you pay for the more expensive courses, don't expect a huge amount of time in the cars.

Wales is good if you want forestry stages, but there are other courses nearer you (eg Silverstone Rally school - not directly related to the circuit, but on the other side of the road).

I guess a search on PistonHeads might prove helpful in looking for feedback from those who have done courses.

HTH,

Jon
jont

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:34 pm

The Bill Gwynne course gets good reviews and you're in the car for most of the day but it's a fair way to travel. As Jon says, don't book through Red Letter Days as they tend to have very restrictive days which limit laps/cars, etc.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby firstmk1 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:35 pm

Petrol :D
Ian
firstmk1

Postby Gareth » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 pm

martine wrote:So being practical ... what would you like to receive this Christmas from your beloved that's car/bike related?

Going out for a long drive on Christmas Day. Interesting rural roads and a picnic lunch for two :shock:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for the Rally advice guys :)
Or maybe a skid cradle course, as I've so far only been on skid pans.

What about turning the question on its head - is there anyone thinking of getting a driving related present for their other half, apart from Gareth, who sounds like he has Christmas day all sewn up :wink:
Custom24

Postby waremark » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:14 am

I had a great day at Silverstone Rally school. I have always been disappointed by 'skid schools'; if you have already done the basic level and you want to do more you should probably go to the likes of Don Palmer or Andy Walsh, and that is starting to become seriously expensive when you factor in the cost of your tyres. Anyway, you would get more practise at controlling a sliding car on a rally type course than at a 'skid school'.
waremark

Postby SeanP » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:24 am

A lighter right foot & quicker brain 8) :lol: :twisted:

P.S. Got the Skills for Life package last Christmas from my beloved (final 'check drive' with a different senior observer this Sunday, hopefully test sometime soon after that) :)
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:31 pm

martine wrote:So being practical (i.e no DB9s/Gallardos) what would you like to receive this Christmas from your beloved that's car/bike related?

Food, drink, and :wink:

Sod the car!
zadocbrown

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum