IAM AGM

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:18 pm

jont wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:I have heard the discount for under 25's is going to be abolished as its ageist :shock: Its nothing to do with age its to do with accident statistics.

Maybe it should be changed to a discount for anyone doing IAM within (say) 5 years of passing their DSA test? That would avoid the ageist limit and probably not add significantly to the overall cost of a discounted scheme?

I'd heard that as well...the accusation was the Skill for Life U25 price was against anti-discrimination law but I believe that only applies to employment - there are loads of services that have differential pricing...bus ticket anyone? I think it's rubbish and if the discount were abolished it would be for financial reasons.

ROSPA is a different organisation and the advanced driving bit has even less media coverage than the IAM (and that's bad). The IAM rightly or wrongly are spending significant money on 'research and advocacy' via it's IAM Motoring Trust. Administering 7500 tests per year and 110,000 members must take a fair bit of man-hours. The IAM has many fingers in pies (and that may be wrong also) in 'promoting road safety' rather than the narrow 'administering the advanced driving test' that many think the IAM should stick to.

I don't know how ROSPA finances work - is ROADA self-sustaining or does it rely on subsidy from ROSPA?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:08 pm

I think IAM are confused as to whether they are an AD organisation or a general road safety charity. I rather suspect they've tried to spread themselves too thinly and are paying the price. Or rather, we are.

A few ideas for saving money..........

Get rid of the driving manual. It's full of rubbish and they could probably get discounts on Roadcraft and Mind driving instead.

Stop wasting time lecturing the public on side issues; like going on about removing roof racks and 'economy driving', which just reinforces the perception that AD is tedious and run by frustrated old men.

Stop thinking that observers should be treated as 2nd class ADIs. It may appear that making observers more like professional instructors would be a good thing, but in reality I think the last thing associates want is someone trying to deliver a fixed style of 'lesson'. What they want is relatively informal advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. And observers want to spend their time helping people, not chasing paperwork and targets. IAM is a VOLUNTARY organisation, and if there are too many hoops to jumo through people will leave. And it's no use putting up the subs to raise money if it just means fewer people join.
zadocbrown

Postby martine » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:18 pm

zadocbrown wrote:I think IAM are confused as to whether they are an AD organisation or a general road safety charity. I rather suspect they've tried to spread themselves too thinly and are paying the price. Or rather, we are.

Absolutely agree.

zadocbrown wrote:A few ideas for saving money..........

Get rid of the driving manual. It's full of rubbish...

Like what? I think it's a good introduction and needs to be an 'easy' read.

zadocbrown wrote:Stop wasting time lecturing the public on side issues; like going on about removing roof racks and 'economy driving', which just reinforces the perception that AD is tedious and run by frustrated old men.

Oh yes - couldn't agree more - it annoys me they send press releases with this guff in and miss so many opportunites to get advanced driving - as in DRIVING publicised. They should be emphasising how techniques/skills and how much fun it can be.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 pm

My experience of IAM vs RoSPA is that the IAM present a much more polished and professional image with proper membership cards, headed letters, glossy magazines, their own driving manual, etc whereas RoSPA feels very much as if it's run on less than a shoe-string.

Is the package overall better value for money than RoSPA? Who knows :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:16 pm

martine wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:A few ideas for saving money..........

Get rid of the driving manual. It's full of rubbish...

Like what? I think it's a good introduction and needs to be an 'easy' read.

We are talking about the latest version? Again, there's far too much general woffle and 'driving tips' before you get to the nitty gritty. Some of it's rather subjective and not qualified as such. I'm not saying its not worth reading, but I feel the key concepts are heavily diluted by general discourse, and I worry that some people will read through 5 pages and get bored. I know I did. I have a very high appetite for reading but have to confess I found it rather trying. I think it can be quite overwhelming for some people. I've started suggesting people go straight to the chapters on observation and the system, and worry about the wordy stuff later.
zadocbrown

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:19 pm

zadocbrown wrote:I've started suggesting people go straight to the chapters on observation and the system, and worry about the wordy stuff later.

Me too - page 24
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:22 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:My experience of IAM vs RoSPA is that the IAM present a much more polished and professional image with proper membership cards, headed letters, glossy magazines, their own driving manual, etc whereas RoSPA feels very much as if it's run on less than a shoe-string.

Is the package overall better value for money than RoSPA? Who knows :lol:

Chris

Whats wrong with a copy of roadcraft why do rospa or IAM need alphabet soup with a IAM or ROSPA badge on it. Why reivent the wheel? As for Nigel Mansual being on the book I happen have known a chief JP for Taunton Court who had nigel in front of him pleading guilty to undertaking at over 100mph on the M5 in Somerset, so is he the best fiqure to represent the IAM?

I agree ropsa delivery can be very different from group to group and overall IAM seem better funded and more uniform delivery, but the standard of the members seems to vary very widley.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Whats wrong with a copy of roadcraft why do rospa or IAM need alphabet soup with a IAM or ROSPA badge on it. Why reivent the wheel?

Maybe to make it more attractive and more desirable to punters? Maybe they want to tailor the syllabus to their course? I guess you'd have to take it up with the people in charge if you want a definitive answer....

jbsportstech wrote:As for Nigel Mansual being on the book I happen have known a chief JP for Taunton Court who had nigel in front of him pleading guilty to undertaking at over 100mph on the M5 in Somerset, so is he the best fiqure to represent the IAM?

Let's put some perspective on this shall we ;) He was caught doing 92mph on the M5 in 1998, he did not actually go to court and he was banned for 6 months. He took his IAM test in 2005 and became president in 2006. In 1997 he also helped to launch a learner driver training package from the RAC which included a video of winter driving techniques and advice on how to avoid crashes. So it sounds as if he's keen to improve driver awareness and road safety.

I personally think he's a great choice for helping advanced driving appeal to a wider range of people, rather than just pick a member of the royal family, etc, who no-one associates with driving, or driving well.

jbsportstech wrote:but the standard of the members seems to vary very widley.

As does RoSPA, the Police, HPC and pretty much any "club" which accepts a range of driving abilities, imho.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:18 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
Whats wrong with a copy of roadcraft why do rospa or IAM need alphabet soup with a IAM or ROSPA badge on it. Why reivent the wheel?

Roadcraft looks like a book you get at school to do your swatting for the exams with.

The glossy IAM equivalent is more pleasing and tempting to the punter.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:26 am

ROG wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:
Whats wrong with a copy of roadcraft why do rospa or IAM need alphabet soup with a IAM or ROSPA badge on it. Why reivent the wheel?

Roadcraft looks like a book you get at school to do your swatting for the exams with.

The glossy IAM equivalent is more pleasing and tempting to the punter.

I dont agree I think the 07 roadcraft looks very appealing with the police car on the cover rather than IAM book with an old bus of a jag.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:31 am

jbsportstech wrote:I dont agree I think the 07 roadcraft looks very appealing with the police car on the cover rather than IAM book with an old bus of a jag.

This Jag? :?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:41 am

You got me there I forgot about that one I just remeber the jag on a previous copy.

BUT!!!

If they are going to show the 4x4 TT they will need a better dressed, better hair styled chap from motor racing, LIKE mansual hammers up the motorway 100+ undertaking in that they want this guy next to that on frotn cover

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/4840739

Now he I can believe he would drive one![/img]
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ROG » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:47 am

I still think the layout of the interior of the glossy IAM mag is more appealing to the general public.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Big Err » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:14 pm

ROG wrote:I still think the layout of the interior of the glossy IAM mag is more appealing to the general public.

I'd say the latest version is a massive improvement in layout and appearance than the previous ones.
Big Err

Postby crr003 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:46 pm

jbsportstech wrote:If they are going to show the 4x4 TT they will need a better dressed, better hair styled chap from motor racing,....

What's wrong with his hair?
crr003

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum