Moped Riders

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 am

Does anyone else think that a theory test should be passed by a rider before they are allowed to ride a machine UNSUPERVISED on the public highway :?:

It would be very easy to allow anyone from the age of 15 to do such a test - the DSA set up is already there.

That same theory test pass could be allowed to be valid for 3 years which might be useful.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Red Herring » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 am

Do you really think that would be any more effective than the current CBT which already contains an element of theory?
Red Herring

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:59 am

I think its only fair since an unsupervised car driver is supposed to have passed a theory and a driving test. The arguement for a car learner is they are supervised whilist not having a theory pass.

I think the whole idea of cbt test being valid for 2 years is rediculous. 3-6 months would be a max b4 taking yr test.

At the moment for alot of young lads its a very quick and easy way whilst still at school in alot of cases to get out on a motorised vehicle on the public highway and I think the problem is the mindset of the average 16-18/19 who has not needed to understand the rules of the road and take much responsibilty for their actions. Since most ride the twist and go type mopeds they are so simplistic and toy like they think ist another child hood toy. Alot of them use take cbt and ride to the can pass a car test.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Red Herring » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:27 pm

Has anybody on here taken CBT recently and feel able to comment from a position of experience rather than supposition?
Red Herring

Postby nuster100 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 pm

What happened to your sig then JB??

"To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vunerable to an accident."

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:45 pm

I have thought for some time now, that a prerequisite to obtaining your first provisional licence, should be a theory test of perhaps 100 questions on all sections of the Highway Code, with a pass rate of 80 per cent.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 pm

nuster100 wrote:What happened to your sig then JB??

"To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vunerable to an accident."

Jay

Thats nigels saying but I feel it is very purtanent. Its coming up on my machine.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
nuster100 wrote:What happened to your sig then JB??

Jay

Thats nigels saying but I feel it is very purtanent. Its coming up on my machine.

I think Jay is suggesting that you were vulnerable to the accident :)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 pm

it was the fact the rider 1 was chatting to rider 2 while riding in tandom and the roads where bloody slippery. I had attemtped to put some distance between me and them and had suceeded. He was racing from point to point and like to get right up yr bumper but his driving plan if you cna call it that didn not allow for the icy conditions and so even though I pulled up slowly and was stopped for a while he hit me braking hsi mud guard. iT appears now that he didn not damage the mondeo and the chip on the spoiler which he did not touch.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby nuster100 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 pm

So playing devils advocate, you could see all of this happening but still allowed them to hit you??

what could you do differently next time?? (honest question)

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby OILY PAWS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:30 am

ROG wrote:What does CBT involve - high code theory test etc ?

Copied and pasted from here..........

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... DG_4022430

What does CBT involve?
The CBT course involves five elements:

A. introduction

B. practical on-site training

C. practical on-site riding

D. practical on-road training

E. practical on-road riding

The five elements have to be completed in sequence, although the order of the exercises within the element can be varied. You will only move on to the next element when your instructor is satisfied you have learnt the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to a safe basic level. Trainees must, by law, receive a minimum two hour on-road ride in Element E.

The terminology employed is confusing, it's called a Test, but it's actually an assessment, carried out over the whole day.

no amount of testing will eradicate the idiots who've been outlined here, I would wager they are probably driving illegally anyway, and haven't/won't consider taking the test anyway. Mopeds and scooters aren't that much faster than a push bike IMO and you can ride one of those without anything at all

Without looking I thought you had to have a CBT pass or some form of full licence before you ventured on the road at all.
OILY PAWS

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 am

[quote="OILY PAWS"]....The terminology employed is confusing, it's called a Test, but it's actually an assessment, carried out over the whole day...../quote]

I have only ever seen it called Compulsory Bike Training. Where is it referred to as a test?

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

nuster100 wrote:So playing devils advocate, you could see all of this happening but still allowed them to hit you??

what could you do differently next time?? (honest question)

Jay

Thats a fair question.

Pull over and let him pass.

I was stopped at a light controled pedestrian crossing with people crossing so movin forward wasn't an option.

It was really the adverse weather conditions and his failure to take them into account.

Anyone got any ideas I put some distance between us pulled up very slowly but if someone is determined to stop late and hard inches from yr bumper what else can you do in icey conditions.

If your stationary at a controled crossing or junction and there is some complete idiot steaming about what can you do to stop them ploughinh up your rear?
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ROG » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:50 am

OILY PAWS wrote:
ROG wrote:What does CBT involve - high code theory test etc ?

no amount of testing will eradicate the idiots who've been outlined here, I would wager they are probably driving illegally anyway, and haven't/won't consider taking the test anyway. Mopeds and scooters aren't that much faster than a push bike IMO and you can ride one of those without anything at all

Without looking I thought you had to have a CBT pass or some form of full licence before you ventured on the road at all.

This is the point - if I ask a car learner what the highway code says on something or what a road sign means then I am likely to get a correct or near correct answer but if I ask a moped rider, would I get the same level of answer to the same questions :?:

Should both be at the same level on this subject :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 am

ROG --- Think you have hit the nail on the head. Chances are the car learner will be trying/ if not learnt most rules of the road as they are preparing for life as a car drive.

CBT-Moped rider may have a completely different agenda IE ride for a year or two with ComplusoryBASICTraining and then move onto a car. I think alot of young people use it as an easy bridge between the car and push bike and so learnign to ride properly is not important.
Regards James

jbsportstech

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum