Group Bicker about Police, Driving and Politics...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:13 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:....Let's hope it isn't your family's call they're responding to then :roll: Chris

So what who made the call? At the end of the day none of the emergency services drivers should intimidate other road users into breaking the law. They have no idea what standard driver is in the car in front of them - a new driver could esily be intimidated into jumping a red light with potentially disasterous consequences.

personally I wont cross a red traffic light of there is a red light camera on the junction. Probably would otherwise though, provided it's safe.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:34 pm

adiNigel wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:....Let's hope it isn't your family's call they're responding to then :roll: Chris

So what who made the call?

Would you seriously obstruct a police driver responding to an emergency call from your family for the sake of triggering a red light camera and worst case gaining a mere 3 points/60 quid fine?! I guess we all have different priorities in life, eh!

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:48 pm

The advice given by the emergency services is for the general public to NOT break the law when getting out of the way.

Why is there a red light camera on some junctions? Often because there have been some nasty incidents at those lights - would another accident help?

The emergency services drivers have been trained to deal with hold-ups at junctions and, if they can't see a way through, are instructed to switch off the lights & sirens so that other drivers don't panic trying to get out of their way. How should I know if they switched off for that reason or if the emergency has been attended by someone else?

Besides, if I start getting points on my licence I am likely to lose my job. You happy to risk you job & therefore you family's standard of living then?

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm

adiNigel wrote:Besides, if I start getting points on my licence I am likely to lose my job. You happy to risk you job & therefore you family's standard of living then?

Absolutely! I can easily replace my job. Replacing a family is slightly more difficult....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Red Herring » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
adiNigel wrote:

Would you seriously obstruct a police driver responding to an emergency call from your family for the sake of triggering a red light camera and worst case gaining a mere 3 points/60 quid fine?! I guess we all have different priorities in life, eh!

Chris

I don't think I'd have the slightest hesitation in breaking the law to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle on blue lights, whatever the service. If the driver thought that whatever they were responding to meant moving me out of the way who am I to argue. Clearly I will make sure whatever I do is safe, and if I was really worried about a speed or light camera I'd make a note of the vehicles registration number and when I got home I'd call it in. I'd tell them I didn't have a problem with what happened but would they please make a note on the call log that I'd rung and give me a reference number.

ps: I'd like to see what would happen to adiNigel if he sat in front of a Fire engine (sorry, is that "appliance" these days) at a red light!!
Red Herring

Postby MGF » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

If you are already in mortal danger I doubt there is much the Police could do to save your life. How long does it take to kill someone?

Of course if you are having a heart attack or your house is burning down with you in it then time is of the essence and the wait at the red light could make all the difference.
MGF

Postby Red Herring » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:18 pm

MGF wrote:If you are already in mortal danger I doubt there is much the Police could do to save your life. How long does it take to kill someone?

Of course if you are having a heart attack or your house is burning down with you in it then time is of the essence and the wait at the red light could make all the difference.

Don't suppose it would apply to a Fireman (are we still allowed to call them that or is it "Fireperson" now?, you can see I've had a diversity input recently) but last time I checked ambulance staff weren't to good at kicking down doors. Lets all pretend that the police car was rushing to an address where an old lady had collapsed behind her front door and the ambulance staff couldn't get in. As a result of the police car driver getting through the lights quickly they got there just in time and they managed to save her life. In a final twist she was so grateful she has joined ADUK and donated her life savings to educating drivers in the way of the world. See, I knew this would have a happy ending..... :lol:
Red Herring

Postby Custom24 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Red Herring wrote:Clearly I will make sure whatever I do is safe, and if I was really worried about a speed or light camera I'd make a note of the vehicles registration number and when I got home I'd call it in. I'd tell them I didn't have a problem with what happened but would they please make a note on the call log that I'd rung and give me a reference number.

ps: I'd like to see what would happen to adiNigel if he sat in front of a Fire engine (sorry, is that "appliance" these days) at a red light!!

Doesn't work. It was in the letters section of the IAM magazine a few months ago. Guy triggered a red light camera in exactly those circumstances and they didn't want to know about his justifications. He had to live with the points.

I cannot see any fire engine driver bashing someone out of the way at a red light just because they were trying not to break the law. The fire engine driver would lose their job and their own license.

Finally, my view on this is that I don't know what the blue lights behind me are responding to, and I should not be putting myself in danger or doing anything illegal to "help" them. The advice in a recent IAM article was that as more and more private companies get blue light status, you can't even assume they've been trained to any particular standard.

What if it was this guy behind you?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7760798.stm
Custom24

Postby James » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Its true, if you break the law getting out the way of an emergency service vehicle thy wont entertain you. I wouldnt go out my way to do it, would leave it to the emergency vehicle to make the right choice. Its the system thats at fault and I dont want to be a victim of it.
James

Postby Red Herring » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Gosh that's worrying. I guess what I'll do next time is get out, walk back and ask the driver where he is going and ask to see his qualifications.
That way I'll sleep easier at night knowing that I've done the public spirited thing. We are slowly working around to the sort of society we deserve, the one where nobody wants to make a personal decision in case somebody else asks them to justify it. Personally I prefer to live a little, and I stand by my previous statement as to what I would do.

Just because you read it in the IAM magazine doesn't make it right. You don't really expect the IAM to offer any kind of advice that might be remotely practical do you, especially if it might involve some controversy around the law. What do YOU think is the right thing to do?
Red Herring

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 am

For now, I will follow the advice given out by teh Emergency Services!

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:33 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:I wouldnt of budged quoting the met and devon and cornwall policeas advising the blue light vehicles should not force vehicles to controvene a red light of mount a kerb.

Let's hope it isn't your family's call they're responding to then :roll:

Chris

Ok chris but we recently had a topic on this and if two police forces have issued guidelines and the general concenses is you don't mount kerbs for risk of damaging your vehicle or putting pedestrians at risk. Red lights are red for a reason and you could put yourself at risk put controvening them.

So you would choose to ignore both these pieces fo advice.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:35 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
adiNigel wrote:

Chris

Bare in mind chris nigeladi is an adi 6 points and he is out of a job so I stand by his decision.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:38 am

jbsportstech wrote:So you would choose to ignore both these pieces fo advice.

If it was safe to do so, yes! I certainly wouldn't hold them up further by quoting guidelines and generally obstructing them where imho, it was unnecessary. When I've ignored these guidelines in the past, most of the drivers have shown their appreciation.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:40 am

jbsportstech wrote:Bare in mind chris nigeladi is an adi 6 points and he is out of a job so I stand by his decision.

He's an ADI?! :shock: Do your families know you put work above them? :D
Your wealthy auntie might cut you out of her will if she did :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum