IAM 'Skill for Life' increase

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MGF » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:59 am

jont wrote:I guess the problem for the groups is they can't exist without the umbrella protection of the IAM - at least from a liability insurance point of view?

If the gap between the interests of HQ and the groups continues maybe one will group will be bold enough to ballot its members to disband and reform as a RoSPA group.

RoSPA need the groups after all and IAM groups may feel better off with RoSPA.
MGF

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:23 am

martine wrote:Yes Bristol Advanced Motorists aren't the best IAM group for nothing (ducks for cover)...just a quick look at our website will confirm (ducks for cover again).

http://www.iam-bristol.org.uk

Nice website including a lovely picture of MrToad in teacher mode :)

An interesting point reading the newsletter is that the IAM charge £30/year for continued membership. That's 50% MORE than RoSPA (although often there will be a local group sub too, but that seems to apply to IAM as well, not sure), and the RoSPA membership fee includes your tri-annual retest :shock:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Flexibase » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 am

The IAM have just notified Groups that the cost of the Skill for Life course will increase dramatically from 2nd April this year to £139.00 for both driver and motorcyclists with no discount for age.

Anyone considering joining is therefore advised to apply NOW at the current cost of £99 for drivers and £109 for motorcylists with £20 discount if under 26.
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby crr003 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am

Jonathan wrote:£139 is still great value all things considered. I'm a bit surprised they cut the under 26 discount though, can't see most students (for example) having that kind of money sitting around doing nothing.

The research shows that parents or family actually buy the SfL for the younger drivers.
Groups can still offer discounts.
crr003

Postby martine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:An interesting point reading the newsletter is that the IAM charge £30/year for continued membership. That's 50% MORE than RoSPA (although often there will be a local group sub too, but that seems to apply to IAM as well, not sure), and the RoSPA membership fee includes your tri-annual retest :shock:

Yes to be a full member of an IAM local group you have to be an IAM National member (£28 p.a.). The group fees vary considerably from free to £25 - my group charges £15 p.a. making a total for Bristol members of £43 p.a.

There are several ways of looking at this £43 per year...

* I consider advanced driving as one of my main hobbies and as such am quite prepared to pay to enjoy it
* Being a member means I get access to the IAM Insurance scheme (which is worth having for some and not others)
* Both groups and National are charities and £43 donation goes to a good cause (that's the theory) in furthering driver education

IAM National claim the 'Skill for Life' (SfL) course even at £139, is still subsidised from membership fees (I'd like to see a breakdown of where the £139 goes).
£31 of each SfL goes to the local group that takes the associate on - this hasn't changed in at least 10 years!

In the end we all want to make sure the money (however much) is spent on the right things and I think IAM HQ are waking up to discontent amongst many long-standing members. They do seem to be trying to communicate better, get their systems sorted and become more public in the media.

Time will tell but as others have said, IAM HQ are very much on probation and members will lose patience if they don't see real progress.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby martine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:48 pm

MGF wrote:If the gap between the interests of HQ and the groups continues maybe one will group will be bold enough to ballot its members to disband and reform as a RoSPA group.

We (Bristol group committee) discussed last year, the option of declaring independence - we are a relatively large group (c. 400 members, 36 Observers, 100 associates p.a.) have a lot of skills in-house and it was (is!) a serious option. One issue would be who we would use for examining but there are several options.

Or as you say...join up with the local ROSPA group...but I'm not clear of ROSPA's plans for the future and how they see things shaping up in the medium term.

People criticise the IAM (rightly) for not getting in the media enough and when they do, not getting the right message across :roll: ...but ROSPA media contact seem to be very scarce.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 pm

martine wrote:
MGF wrote:If the gap between the interests of HQ and the groups continues maybe one will group will be bold enough to ballot its members to disband and reform as a RoSPA group.

We (Bristol group committee) discussed last year, the option of declaring independence - we are a relatively large group (c. 400 members, 36 Observers, 100 associates p.a.) have a lot of skills in-house and it was (is!) a serious option. One issue would be who we would use for examining but there are several options.

Or as you say...join up with the local ROSPA group...but I'm not clear of ROSPA's plans for the future and how they see things shaping up in the medium term.

People criticise the IAM (rightly) for not getting in the media enough and when they do, not getting the right message across :roll: ...but ROSPA media contact seem to be very scarce.

That seems a great idea martine.

I hear what your saying about IAM and their media usage/publicity but alot of people know who they are and understand what they do to varing degrees.

The only problem with ROSPA is they are so quiet that hardly anyone has heard of them including most insurers. @ the age of 17 I knew who IAM where however I didn't know RoADAR existed.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Custom24 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Good point jb
If an IAM group were to declare independence, would people who pass it's test be able to wear the IAM badge, and would they qualify for insurance discounts?

To hard core nuts like us, these things are incidental, but it might sway someone's decision about whether to join in the first place.

On the other hand, having looked at the magazines Martin E's group produces, I thought they were excellent and better than what comes from HQ.
Custom24

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:52 pm

martine wrote:One issue would be who we would use for examining but there are several options.

Surely the easiest is to support preparation for both the IAM and RoADAR tests, and to let the candidates choose which one they attempt. AFAIK both organisations allow tests to be paid for without paying for anything else, (even if it is not advertised).
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Custom24 wrote:If an IAM group were to declare independence, would people who pass it's test be able to wear the IAM badge, and would they qualify for insurance discounts?

No - being independent would mean we'd have to sever all ties and references to the IAM. We are already a seperate charity 'Bristol Advanced Motorists' affilitated to the IAM - but we'd have to stand in our own right.

Custom24 wrote:On the other hand, having looked at the magazines Martin E's group produces, I thought they were excellent and better than what comes from HQ.

Awww shucks - thanks - I'll tell our newsletter editor - he'll probably want a pay rise.
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm

martine wrote:There are several ways of looking at this £43 per year...

* I consider advanced driving as one of my main hobbies and as such am quite prepared to pay to enjoy it
* Being a member means I get access to the IAM Insurance scheme (which is worth having for some and not others)
* Both groups and National are charities and £43 donation goes to a good cause (that's the theory) in furthering driver education

In the scheme of things, I guess £43 isn't very much a year, but if you support a few organisations, it soon balloons into a far more significant figure and it's then that I start to question what I'm getting for my money and which one is the most worthy cause. As such, I've dropped my RoSPA local group subscription and may well end up doing the same with the IAM come renewal time.

Ironically, I think ADUK may be a large part of the reason for my feeling this way as it provides free access to a great bunch of like-minded (and open minded) driving enthusiasts who are happy to give and receive feedback constructively as well as having fun, without the beaurocracy that goes with being a member of a larger organisation....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby 7db » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

One local group - two national groups? Be the Bristol branch of both. People can join one, t'other, both or neither?
They get to wear the badge if they pay the money.
7db

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Hmm, here's a thought.

Are the IAM continually putting the price up so that the cost of doing it with the IAM = the cost of doing it with an ADI, so that eventually the IAM can 1) use ADI's instead of groups 2) the IAM can start their own full driving school, knowing that the market for advanced drivers is small compared to that of learner drivers and that is where the potential for market share and revenue is to be made?
Darren

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Darren wrote:Are the IAM continually putting the price up so that the cost of doing it with the IAM = the cost of doing it with an ADI

Some ADIs offer training for advanced tests - I looked at one website earlier today where they said a typical course would last about 6 hours, (although with obvious disclaimers for variations in how quickly people learn). So then the IAM Skill for Life package is almost the same cost.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Darren wrote:Hmm, here's a thought.

Are the IAM continually putting the price up so that the cost of doing it with the IAM = the cost of doing it with an ADI, so that eventually the IAM can 1) use ADI's instead of groups 2) the IAM can start their own full driving school, knowing that the market for advanced drivers is small compared to that of learner drivers and that is where the potential for market share and revenue is to be made?

That would see them move from a charity/organisation whos main aim is to improve road safety to a commercial money making buisness. In what is difficult neiche market (Advance Driving non DSA based) in what appears to be the worst recession this country has ever seen. Certianly food for thought Darren and I can see why you might think that could be the case.

When the rep @ the london motorshow was talking to me he was desperate I sign up b4 the end year. He said they where losing money on the skill for life package as it was currently and that the cost needed to be more like £129. I hope that is true and they have not decided to go this route as it would be a step back in my mind in improving road riding/driving and ulitmatley are safety. :shock:
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum