Officer convicted over girl's death

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:50 pm

StressedDave wrote: As for being trained to takes those sort of actions, I think you'll find that most Police training is designed such that you don't get into that situation in the first place and light on what to do if you do, possibly partly because if you give someone those skills they may come to rely on them to get out of the lethal situations that self-belief has placed them in in the first place.

Oddly enough, I totally agree, but think it should be changed.

The skid pan course I did was heavy on not getting into trouble - but had the necessary skills too.

But I also know that it's important to have an 'escape route' constantly in mind during all of riding:
http://www.cooperbiketraining.org.uk/games/games.htm

That was over 20 years between being taught it and using it.

However, there were plenty of reasons why he wasn't driving 'correctly' [as trained] anyway, so it's a moot point, isn't it?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm usually dubious about trying to make judgements on the basis of looking at in car video, but in this case it's quite clear the driver was going far too fast to stop within his vision. So there's no escape for him really.

I only hope his colleagues, and indeed all of us, learn from his mistake. Leaving aside the sensational nature of that particular incident, it's all too easy to factor in a degree of optimism in predicting what will or won't happen, even without realising it.
zadocbrown

Postby martine » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:34 pm

zadocbrown wrote:I'm usually dubious about trying to make judgements on the basis of looking at in car video, but in this case it's quite clear the driver was going far too fast to stop within his vision. So there's no escape for him really.

I only hope his colleagues, and indeed all of us, learn from his mistake. Leaving aside the sensational nature of that particular incident, it's all too easy to factor in a degree of optimism in predicting what will or won't happen, even without realising it.

Well said. On a lesser scale I too am a 'bend optimist' but I'm working on it.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Horse wrote:

So are you saying she takes some of the blame, or not?

Please clarify how 'relevant, but not', because you have me confused.

Directly relevant in the case of his prosecution, indirectly relevant in the case of a debate regarding the wider issues on an internet forum.

Horse wrote:
I have no reason to doubt that police officers 'celebrate' after a good win in court

Including the word 'after', not 'during'.

Therein lies the difference. As I said the 'celebrations' in court are just part of the overall picture - the violence shown toward police at the scene, the comments made on several 'memorial' internet sites after the accident, comments in the press etc. toward the officer in question and the police in general. It is clear the people making them had no respect for the police even before the accident.

Just to re-state I'm not trying to take anything away from the fact that this young girl tragically lost her life. However she came to be there, in whatever circumstances she did not deserve to be run over and killed.
AnalogueAndy

Postby MGF » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:15 pm

zadocbrown wrote:I only hope his colleagues, and indeed all of us, learn from his mistake. Leaving aside the sensational nature of that particular incident, it's all too easy to factor in a degree of optimism in predicting what will or won't happen, even without realising it.

I must say after watching the video I for one wont be entering a bend and crest in the road in an urban area at 90 mph in the future. :roll: This was a tad more then 'bend optimism' in my view.

Dougal claims his driving wasn't unsafe so he obviously hasn't learned from it.

AnalogueAndy wrote:It is clear the people making them had no respect for the police even before the accident.

Are you surprised and/or disappointed? I for one see no reason why people should necessarily respect the police. It depends on your experiences and your environment.
MGF

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:59 am

martine wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:I'm usually dubious about trying to make judgements on the basis of looking at in car video, but in this case it's quite clear the driver was going far too fast to stop within his vision. So there's no escape for him really.

Well said. On a lesser scale I too am a 'bend optimist' but I'm working on it.

Me too. I guess most drivers are completely unaware of this failing in their driving. I also have particular difficulty with 'blind summits' - certainly with regard to the 'snake on a skateboard'. If he's there he would sometimes be unlucky!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:20 pm

MGF wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:I only hope his colleagues, and indeed all of us, learn from his mistake. Leaving aside the sensational nature of that particular incident, it's all too easy to factor in a degree of optimism in predicting what will or won't happen, even without realising it.

I must say after watching the video I for one wont be entering a bend and crest in the road in an urban area at 90 mph in the future. :roll: This was a tad more then 'bend optimism' in my view.

Dougal claims his driving wasn't unsafe so he obviously hasn't learned from it.

AnalogueAndy wrote:It is clear the people making them had no respect for the police even before the accident.

Are you surprised and/or disappointed? I for one see no reason why people should necessarily respect the police. It depends on your experiences and your environment.

Not surprised but always disappointed. We'd all be better off if society as a whole respected the rule of law and the police in trying to enforce it. But that respect has to be earned, we should rightly expect the police to exercise a very high standard of duty and care.

You might remember (before the full facts became known) I cited this case as an example of the press and wider public failing to make allowances for the police, failing to take into account that they are trying to do a difficult job in difficult circumstances and are often unfairly treated.

I was wrong. This is a case where a police officer has fallen below the standards we quite rightly expect.

Another tragic example being the death of Ian Tomlinson during the G20 protests in London.
AnalogueAndy

Postby MGF » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Generally I don't agree with imprisonment for dangerous driving and I can't see this case deserving of one but it was an unforgivable choice of speed in my view.

What is interesting is his evidence in court "I think my driving was safe." How on earth would anyone believe it was safe to approach those hazards at that speed?

Dishonesty, arrogance, stupidity or just deluded? I would hope the latter as most of us charged with an offence may well convince ourselves of our innocence.

The other possibilities are, in my view, inconsistent with being a Police Officer.

As for the driving, I don't believe there is anything of use I can learn from his mistake in choice of speed and I am one who has a huge amount to learn. Indeed by claiming that this offers us some insight into our own driving merely serves to undermine the seriousness of his actions. I don't think this is an example of 'there go I but for the grace of God'.
MGF

Postby MGF » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm

I don't agree with a custodial sentence for bad driving unless it is reckless. Intent is not necessary but recklessness is, in my view the minimum level of culpability needed to send someone to prison.

As the law stands I am with you and the judge. That is, that Dougal should go to prison but I don't believe our law uses prison appropriately for cases of bad driving. In fact if you compare prison sentences for DCBDD with manslaughter you might actually be better off intending some harm by assault than making a very poor driving decision.
MGF

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:43 am

MGF wrote:Dougal claims his driving wasn't unsafe so he obviously hasn't learned from it.

Or maybe he was just advised to say that? If he really believes he was driving safely he should be in a mental hospital, not a prison.
zadocbrown

Postby MGF » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm

StressedDave wrote:True enough, but the subjective test for recklessness (given that objective recklessness has been deprecated by R v G&R), i.e. trying to work out what the defendant was thinking at the crucial time, meant that the old law was virtually impossible to prove.

Recklessness is not virtually impossible to prove, it is just more difficult to prove and so only the worst cases satisfy the test. Clearly there are people who believe the less serious cases of bad driving that cause death should be punishable by imprisonment. I disagree with this. The whole point of having difficult tests is that the consequence is imprisonment.

Lord Bingham says it better than I can in R v G:-

"32. First, it is a salutary principle that conviction of serious crime should depend on proof not simply that the defendant caused (by act or omission) an injurious result to another but that his state of mind when so acting was culpable. This, after all, is the meaning of the familiar rule actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea. The most obviously culpable state of mind is no doubt an intention to cause the injurious result, but knowing disregard of an appreciated and unacceptable risk of causing an injurious result or a deliberate closing of the mind to such risk would be readily accepted as culpable also. It is clearly blameworthy to take an obvious and significant risk of causing injury to another. But it is not clearly blameworthy to do something involving a risk of injury to another if (for reasons other than self-induced intoxication: R v Majewski [1977] AC 443) one genuinely does not perceive the risk. Such a person may fairly be accused of stupidity or lack of imagination, but neither of those failings should expose him to conviction of serious crime or the risk of punishment."

Of course if the legislature take a different view and enact a law that makes it much easier to convict with the consequence of significant prison sentences then there isn't much the courts can do about that.

StressedDave wrote:I do take yout point with the fact that you'd be better battering someone with a baseball bat that hitting them with a car, but is the issue there one of the Executive messing around with sentencing guidelines as a knee-jerk reaction to the 'won't somebody think of the kiddies' brigade rather than there being anything wrong with the sentences.

The sentences start with the legislation and the guidelines for death by dangerous driving are based on a decision of the Court of Appeal in R v Richardson 2006 (after the Criminal Justice Act 2003 increased the maximum sentence from 10 years to 14 years imprisonment).

"In considering the impact of the increase in the maximum penalty on the Cooksley guidelines (see the main work), the court concluded that the relevant starting points identified in Cooksley should be reassessed as follows: (1) no aggravating circumstances: 12 months' to two years' imprisonment; (2) intermediate culpability: two to four-and-a-half years' imprisonment; (3) higher culpability: four-and-a-half to seven years' imprisonment; (4) most serious culpability: seven to 14 years' imprisonment."

I don't agree it is the Executive influencing the sentencing guidelines except insofar as they can through Parliament which is of course Parliament's prerogative. The courts are merely responding to the legislation regardless of Lord Bingham's comments above.

My position is that causing death by dangerous driving should not result in a prison sentence. The very worst cases would probably satisfy the reckless test and so justice would be done.

Indeed Parliament (and I accept the Executive pretty much controls Parliament) is taking us further in the wrong direction with Causing Death by Careless Driving.
MGF

Postby MGF » Fri May 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Dougal's been sentenced to three years imprisonment for CDBDD mitigated down from four.

To make my point above compare this with a road rage incident in which a motorist dies. 2.25 years

Clearly Cahill intend some harm to his victim when he punched him. Dougal didn't intend to harm anyone. Is there a moral difference between wanting to hurt someone and killing them and making a really bad driving decision and killing someone?
MGF

Postby jbsportstech » Fri May 01, 2009 4:25 pm

MGF wrote:Dougal's been sentenced to three years imprisonment for CDBDD mitigated down from four.

To make my point above compare this with a road rage incident in which a motorist dies. 2.25 years

Clearly Cahill intend some harm to his victim when he punched him. Dougal didn't intend to harm anyone. Is there a moral difference between wanting to hurt someone and killing them and making a really bad driving decision and killing someone?

Yes it seems a strong sentence for a police officier as 3yrs in prison for him will be very uncomfortable so I am told. It was a gross error in judgement but should people traveling at 3 times the legal limit not be held accountable for their actions regardless of any driving accalades they may have achived. He may well be advanced police driver but there in my mind nothing 'advanced' about driving faster than you can see to be clear..

Indeed I wonder whether he still feels it was sound and he was driving safely or whether that ws a self protection tactic.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Gareth » Fri May 01, 2009 5:20 pm

MGF wrote:Is there a moral difference between wanting to hurt someone and killing them and making a really bad driving decision and killing someone?

Interesting point. Perhaps the lesson is that it better to claim a loss of control whatever the outcome than it is to claim that that whatever one did was reasonable and measured? I wonder whether there is an element of deterrence in the sentencing of the police officer - sending a warning to other police officers that they shouldn't drive in a fashion likely to be considered unreasonable by a judge.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:49 pm

To explain the difference in sentencing

Dougal - actions likely to cause death, lack of remorse shown by claiming he was safe (although I do understand that he expressed remorse in the court), actions carried out calmly and deliberately.

Cahill - fluke death, immediate remorse shown at the scene and subsequently, acting out of a loss of temper

I'd not like to be in either man's shoes, but grace of God and all that. I'm not sure morality comes into it in the case of Cahill; he just lost his temper.
Custom24

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum