You know you're an advanced driver when...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:04 am

Horse wrote:....And did I mention pressing in the button on the handbrake? No, neither does she . . .

I no longer teach pupils they should push the button in now that many car handbooks say NOT to push the button in when applying the handbrake.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:31 am

adiNigel wrote:..... many car handbooks say NOT to push the button in when applying the handbrake.

Why :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm

The ratchet is designed for many thousands of operations. If you don't push the button, the spring on the ratchet will ensure that the pawl falls into one of the gaps between the teeth. If you do push the button, there's a very slight risk that you can release the pawl onto the top of a tooth and have it stay there, instead of falling tightly into a gap. A knock can then reduce the tension by causing the ratchet to slip down one or more teeth before it re-engages.

Also, if you're pressing in the button, you're sort of acknowledging that you're being more mechanically sympathetic, and therefore also perhaps subconsciously not pulling the handbrake on as tight as you might otherwise do.

I tend to employ a compromise between the two. I pull up the handbrake with the button depressed, and then at the top of the travel, I release the button. I then snug the brake up by one or two clicks without the button depressed, so that I know it's engaged firmly, and I know the pawl has fallen into a tooth gap by the audible "click".

HTH :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Also, if you're pressing in the button, you're sort of acknowledging that you're being more mechanically sympathetic, and therefore also perhaps subconsciously not pulling the handbrake on as tight as you might otherwise do.

That's an interesting comment ... I get very annoyed when people pull on a handbrake tighter than is necessary. Perhaps it's because I've had cars where the handbrake effectiveness appears to diminish over time and especially when it's been repeatedly pulled up as far as possible. Maybe just blind prejudice on my part though :wink:

However I'm struck by two thoughts. The first is that if the handbrake holds the car, then is it being mechanically sympathetic to pull it on any further? The second is whether I, as a large and middlin' strong bloke, would be able to pull the handbrake on further than a person who has much less strength in the arm ... and if such a person pulls on the handbrake enough then what benefit is there in me (or anyone else) pulling the handbrake on further?

Finally and against all I've just written, I have driven cars where the handbrake operates one of the pair of pistons in each of the rear calipers, pressing the pads against the disks, and if the disks cool and contract then the handbrake may no longer stop the car from rolling. To counteract this possibility I invariably park in gear and with the front wheels angled to minimise the distance they can roll.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

I've just realised what I automatically do - button in - pull up handbake - then I twitch my hand whilst still gripping

I must have been subconciously doing this to ensure it is between, and not on top of, the ratchet bit :wink:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Renny » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 am

Another point on applying the handbrake is that I apply the footbrake whilst applying the handbrake. This used to mean that all the handbrake cables would do was move to hold the shoes in the position that the hydraulics had moved them to. Now with rear disc brakes, this is not the case and Gareth's point is very important.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:19 pm

back to the original question.

... you test drive a new or used car at a dealership and the sales guy comments on how good the drive was.

... you stop at lights with tyres and tarmac visible and it lets you move out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

... you execute an excellent overtake using cross views of bends or junctions when other people didn't even realise that an overtake was possible.

... change the position of the steering wheel for distance and rake after getting into a different vehicle.
Standard Dave

Postby Custom24 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Standard Dave wrote:... you test drive a new or used car at a dealership and the sales guy comments on how good the drive was.

Hardly a neutral assessment of your driving.
Custom24

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:47 pm

you put the windows down before you get to the junction with a poor or restricted view, when you're the passenger!
Octy_Ross

Postby Custom24 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

zadocbrown wrote:....you realise the term is no longer relevant to you.

Sorry about my sniping at people's posts in this thread.

I think this is the one I most agree with, as long as the point is "the term is irrelevant to me - I'm just a driver, trying to be a better one".
Custom24

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Custom24 wrote:Sorry about my sniping at people's posts in this thread.

ah go on - you'll like it really ;-)
Octy_Ross

Postby jont » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:you put the windows down before you get to the junction with a poor or restricted view, when you're the passenger!

I watched one of my passengers go for that one - then realise the roof was off :lol:
jont

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:44 am

ROG wrote:I've just realised what I automatically do - button in - pull up handbake - then I twitch my hand whilst still gripping

I must have been subconciously doing this to ensure it is between, and not on top of, the ratchet bit :wink:

That's probably what I do, and I think that makes best sense. I still do not like the idea of pulling the handbrake lever through its full travel without pressing the button at all, though I've no idea what the car handbooks say about this, and how they may justify that advice.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 am

TripleS wrote:I've no idea what the car handbooks say about this, and how they may justify that advice.

They probably try to include the simplest most reliable instructions for fear of being sued.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Gareth wrote:
TripleS wrote:I've no idea what the car handbooks say about this, and how they may justify that advice.

They probably try to include the simplest most reliable instructions for fear of being sued.

My votes for that one :roll:

For myself I will continue to push in the button and apply the brake with just sufficient force, thus saving my left hand from the slim possibility of vibration white-finger and allowing the cable to remain in adjustment.

If there's any risk of the car rolling away if the brake releases I leave the car in gear anyway, so what's the problem?
zadocbrown

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum