Position of Sat Nav?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Shipwright » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

One more thing regarding sat nav security: obviously hiding/removing the unit is common sense, however I find it is sometimes not practical to carry a sat nav unit around with me so I end up hiding it in the car instead. Obviously I would have to hide the holder assembly (detach it from the windscreen and hide that too).

Is this action of hiding/removing both the unit and the holder assembly a good method of increasing security for your sat nav?

Cheers,

s.
Shipwright

Postby jont » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 am

Shipwright wrote:Is this action of hiding/removing both the unit and the holder assembly a good method of increasing security for your sat nav?

Obviously it's better than leaving it on view, but beware of tell-tale marks left by the holder on the windscreen. Once you've noticed them they are easy to spot and some theives use them as an indication that a car may be worth breaking into to try and find the satnav. A soft cloth is easy enough to keep in the car to wipe these marks off whenever you stop.

Again, I'm a bit paranoid about motorway service stations and similar public car parks that I may be watched putting the unit in the boot. If I have a passenger with me, I'll often ask them to remove the unit/holder before we get into the car park.

Jon
jont

Postby Shipwright » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 am

I see your point.

This is why I am looking for a dashboard-type holder that can mount, say, on the centre console vents. Easier to detach/hide because you can do it all out of view. I too am fairly paranoid about fiddling with mounts for that very reason - being observed. Although I do feel OK leaving the sat nav in the car for short periods of time, like if I am getting petrol etc (I always lock the car when I am away from it).

I have looked at the TomTom accessories page, and their solution is a bit expensive for what I want. So I am looking at alternatives - on that note, can anyone recommend some websites that have satnav mounts compatible with a TomTom One that mounts to the vents?

Cheers,

S.
Shipwright

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 am

Hi Jont, I'm glad I'm not the only 1 - I'm sure wifey thought I was mad, until one day we were parking in a car park and a couple opposite with their boot on full display were putting stuff in/out....she turned and said "now I see why you're paranoid"

There was clearly many 00's of £ worth of kit in the boot, being shown to the world .... if only I was a car thief!!
Octy_Ross

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Very neat, Chris. TomTom now do a bean bag mount which I place in the same position as you, by the A pillar. Only takes a split second to lift off the dash and tuck it under the seat out of view and no marks on the screen or having to readjust the mount on the screen when I get back to the car.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 pm

jcochrane wrote:Very neat, Chris.

Well it's not bad, but it would have been nicer if the edge of the block had been parallel to the edge of the opening for the ventilation outlet. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:47 pm

I have a go 520 but with a new style holder for the focus. For the passat I have a vent mount kit you can get for ebay for around 8-9 pounds or if you have money to burn halfords for £20. Both are very adjustable and the vent mount can be easily removed leaving no trace at all, also its harder to see as you drive into a car as I also tend to put it away b4 stopping at my final destination.

In action
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:03 am

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Very neat, Chris.

Well it's not bad, but it would have been nicer if the edge of the block had been parallel to the edge of the opening for the ventilation outlet. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I'll correct it tomorrow; thanks for pointing it out, Dave. :evil:

My pleasure, sir. Always happy to assist. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 am

I like the comment earlier about using teh sat nav as a 'fourth mirror' so to speak.

I mount my sat nav on the driver's door window, it fits just to the left of the door mirror without obscuring any of it. Plus the door window is easier to clean than the windscreen so fewer rings left!

I am surprised the magnet didn't upset the electronics, Dave.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby hanse cronje » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:18 pm

www.dashmount.co.uk

or .com

simple
hanse cronje

Postby Shipwright » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:52 pm

I found a cool website - www.handtec.co.uk - that I was able to purchase an airvent-mounted sat nav mount for my TomTom. About £13.78 in total.

It wouldn't bother me having the sat nav out of my immediate line of sight, as I rely mainly on the vocal instructions, only using a quick glance or two at the map so I am aware of the lay of the land. I have set it to turn off the display when I go over a certain speed, mainly used for motorway cruises, as I wouldn't need to glance at a moving map of a blue arrow driving on a straight line!!

Anyway, can't wait for the new mount to arrive, I'll post up piccies once it has arrived.

Regards,

S.
Shipwright

Postby Shipwright » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 pm

As promised, piccies:

http://www.yellowsnow.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/img/new-satnav.jpg
slightly differnet angle:
http://www.yellowsnow.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/img/new-satnav2.jpg

I like the new mount - very brilliant, out the way of the window, more concealed and easier to manipulate if you are stopped up and need to programme in your route etc.

Only drawback of the mount I bought (cheapy one) is the clips to clip it to the vent grill could be a little stronger. Still, can't complain!

Regards,

S.
Shipwright

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum