IAM web site

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gerald » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:At least it didn't seem to have put you off improving your driving...

No, certainly not.

I was very lucky to have very amenable, down-to earth trainers on the run up to my Rospa test.

Having experienced this group, though, it is small wonder that the IAM has a somewhat "dated" image.
Gerald

Postby martine » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Gerald wrote:A group in the home counties, last year.

Groups vary considerably in size and outlook - can I suggest you try another IAM group? There are loads in the South East...
http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroups/groupdirectory/southeastenglandinclondonsouthofthethames/

PS the phrase is: "Chocks Away".
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Gerald wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:At least it didn't seem to have put you off improving your driving...

No, certainly not.

I was very lucky to have very amenable, down-to earth trainers on the run up to my Rospa test.

Having experienced this group, though, it is small wonder that the IAM has a somewhat "dated" image.

You happen to have felt more in tune with your local Rospa group than your local IAM group. I do not believe there are systemic differences between the groups of the two organisations. It is a matter of luck what people you come across in your local group, and on this forum we often advise enquirers to make contact with their local groups of both organisations before choosing.

Overall, IAM has more groups, more members, and more national profile, so I certainly don't consider that Gerald's experience should put anyone off trying IAM.

Actually, I would be interested in more details of Gerald's experience. Gerald, are you saying that your received a demo drive before starting your own 'course'? And that you were concerned by the standard of the drive?
waremark

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum