Absolute corker from Wednesday

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 am

MGF wrote:If I am in a position where I need to give way to someone at a MR and they appear to be hesitant I would not move off for a right turn without having made eye contact as I cannot be sure they have seen me. That is, to me, the benefit of eye contact.

In the same way that a flashing indicator only means the light works, eye contact only means they've pointed their head in your direction ;)

However, it's better than no looks at all.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby MGF » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I couldn't see if I had eye contact or not. It was early evening and the sun was low. When I set off, however, I took the precautions you would in such a situation. I started off gently, in the expectation of possible problems, and was ready to brake if necessary. In these cases, where you are both stopped, someone has to move first. The alternative is just to wait every time, and let the other party go first.

I turned right at a MR once against oncoming traffic ahead that was queued. I was indicating, one car from ahead moved off to pass me offside. No problem there. I made eye contact with the driver behind him as I was about to turn right yet he still decided to follow the other car onto the MR. I stopped quite firmly and the other driver gave me a filthy look. :?

I guess it doesn't matter how hard you try people will drive across you on MRs.

Horse wrote:In the same way that a flashing indicator only means the light works, eye contact only means they've pointed their head in your direction ;)

It means more than that. It means the other driver has seen me. Eye contact is more than merely pointing your head in a particular direction. Obviously, as you say, it doesn't mean the driver will give way but it does increase the chances.
MGF

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The alternative is just to wait every time, and let the other party go first.

I'm wondering if the expectation is different because it's a mini-roundabout ... I mean the usual way to approach a larger roundabout is to give way to traffic already on the roundabout, but for a mini-roundabout it is perhaps to give way to traffic waiting to join the roundabout immediately to your right. She would have assumed you would be giving way to her, so in turn would be looking to her right checking if it was clear for her to move off.

Given that people have trouble looking in two directions at the same time, her priority would be to look right immediately before moving off as that would (normally) be the greatest source of danger.

The second point is that most people make little or no attempt to go around a mini-roundabout; it's sometimes awkward and you have to steer more than in necessary to make the turning, and moreover you have to steer relatively quickly, certainly more quickly than most people seem able to manage. Looking at the overhead view in Google Maps makes it reasonably apparent that the natural line from the 4 o'clock direction for someone intent on turning right is over the top of the painted island.

What could you have done differently? I think waiting longer to move off, to be certain that your way would be clear. The other point is that I wonder, from your description, where your attention was focused as you moved into the junction.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby fungus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Gareth wrote,
"I'm wondering if the expectation is different because it's a mini-roundabout ... I mean the usual way to approach a larger roundabout is to give way to traffic already on the roundabout, but for a mini-roundabout it is perhaps to give way to traffic waiting to join the roundabout immediately to your right. She would have assumed you would be giving way to her, so in turn would be looking to her right checking if it was clear for her to move off."

"Given that people have trouble looking in two directions at the same time, her priority would be to look right immediately before moving off as that would (normally) be the greatest source of danger."

In the DSAs Driving the Essential Skills the advice is the same as the Highway Code. But they add. Also vehicles coming towards you may want to turn right, give way to them.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, I looked at her, and I decided she was hesitating, so I went. However I was aware there was potential for her to set off at the same moment. I just wasn't expecting the right angle turn she made.

Ho hum. I guess next time I'll be able to factor in that extra possibility into my armoury of experiences :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ROG » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:54 pm

I have so many mini roundabouts near me that this 'right angle' way (or cutting them) of going over them is very common due to drivers being too lazy to negotiate them properly.
As AD drivers we should be aware that this can happen and be prepared for it - but there is always that 'first time'
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby 7db » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:47 pm

I was disappointed -- I was hoping the punchline was that she was the new chairman of your RoADR group... :)

This happens all the time - you need to be aware that it's a possibility and it you can't dominate it, mitigate for it.
7db

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum