Roadcraft

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:14 am

kfae8959 wrote:Can we play "Roadcraft Top Trumps"?!

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/2008/ ... rning.html

:oops:

4 x Motorcycle Roadcraft

4 x 'Car' Roadcraft

1 x Manual of Police Driving Instruction

1 x Human Aspects

. . . and 22 other books, not including those I've read but don't own :(

NB The earliest Roadcraft has a copy of the H Code tucked in the back, AFAIK that was how it was supplied!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:19 pm

When I first posted this thread I did think that most of the users on here would own 'a' copy of Roadcraft.....I honestly didnt expect people to have the collections they do :o :o ...guess it shows how much you all love your driving :D

I am now on a mission to obtain a copy of the first Roadcraft and first Highway Code 8)
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:When I first posted this thread I did think that most of the users on here would own 'a' copy of Roadcraft.....I honestly didnt expect people to have the collections they do :o :o ...guess it shows how much you all love your driving :D

If you have a look at the photo in my blog post, you can soon work out which ones I've used most!

I first became involved in rider training in 1979, and bought the 'current' blue book - hence its well-thumbed appearance - and 'upgraded' when the new version appeared in '96.

Certainly many of the people who become involved in post-test training are the 'enthusiasts', and part of that enthusiasm is a desire to learn more - so we spend a fortune on books & DVDs (or videos, as was).

There's an element of 'sad' in there too :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Horse wrote:If you have a look at the photo in my blog post, you can soon work out which ones I've used most!

I just had a look.... :lol: :lol:...and yes it shows :D . I think the covers of the old Roadcraft are just fantastic, I take it the one in bottom right hand corner is the first ever Roadcraft?? :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Well it took me all of an hour to read the 1960 Roadcraft. For me the most fascinating parts is just how much detail went into describing things, for example how to depress the accelerator!! :) . Its not actually miles away from the current edtition though, even the psychological side was really relevant!

I now want to delve into the history of Roadcraft a bit further to find out who originally came up with the idea....can someone enlighten me? :)
x-Sonia-x

Postby Porker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:14 pm

There's a fair bit of information at http://www.worcadvmot10.fsnet.co.uk/history_of_roadcraft.html

regards
P.
Porker

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Porker wrote:There's a fair bit of information at http://www.worcadvmot10.fsnet.co.uk/his ... craft.html

Thanx Nick exactly what I wanted x
x-Sonia-x

Postby Porker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:57 pm

So, when do you want to start the drives again?

P.
Porker

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Porker wrote:So, when do you want to start the drives again?

P.

Hi Nick

ASAP please ....im keen :D :D :wink: So whenever you can fit me in and have time

Sonia x
x-Sonia-x

Postby Horse » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote: I now want to delve into the history of Roadcraft a bit further to find out who originally came up with the idea....can someone enlighten me? :)

Here's one I prepared earlier . . . well 14 years ago!

http://www.cooperbiketraining.org.uk/ne ... vanced.htm
Horse

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:47 pm

Horse wrote:Here's one I prepared earlier . . . well 14 years ago!

Amazing....just amazing!! You know the commitment and knowledge of the members of this forum astounds me! I feel priveleged that you share it :D 8) .....I have learnt soooo much in just 4 months and it doesnt matter what I ask, you guys always deliver :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:43 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:

P.

Hi Nick

ASAP please ....im keen :D :D :wink: So whenever you can fit me in and have time

Sonia x

Sounds like someone has got herself a rather special tutor ... :lol:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:47 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:

Amazing....just amazing!! You know the commitment and knowledge of the members of this forum astounds me! I feel priveleged that you share it :D 8)

:oops: Ta for taking the trouble to say so :)

x-Sonia-x wrote:
Horse wrote: .....I have learnt soooo much in just 4 months and it doesnt matter what I ask, you guys always deliver :D

There's no point in knowing if we don't take every opportunity to share! That's my view anyway!!!
Horse

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:

P.

Hi Nick

Sonia x

Sounds like someone has got herself a rather special tutor ... :lol:

I sure have :wink: 8)

Horse wrote:There's no point in knowing if we don't take every opportunity to share! That's my view anyway!!!

Agree totally :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Horse wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:

Amazing....just amazing!! You know the commitment and knowledge of the members of this forum astounds me! I feel priveleged that you share it :D 8)

:oops: Ta for taking the trouble to say so :)

x-Sonia-x wrote:
Horse wrote: .....I have learnt soooo much in just 4 months and it doesnt matter what I ask, you guys always deliver :D

There's no point in knowing if we don't take every opportunity to share! That's my view anyway!!!

Yes, but what worries me is that some of what I think I know might turn out to be wrong. I think it is best for readers to consider a variety of advice before deciding in their own good time what makes most sense in relation to what they are trying to achieve.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum