CamCorder Recommendation

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Smiling Assassin wrote:Seems a bit jerky (low frame rate or frame drop-out) but would certainly be adequate for observed runs.

Check the Youtube links I posted earlier - they seem a lot smoother. Interesting comparison with another system that's twice the price too.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Smiling Assassin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Angus wrote:Didn't record you response to the Peugeot at the start tho' :D

It's a while ago now of course but I don't think it caused any particular problem. The Pug had plenty of room, speed wasn't an issue, and as you can see I then gave him a wide berth and tucked back in in front - sorted.

Horse wrote:Interesting comparison with another system that's twice the price too.

Yeah, and the rest! The kit I've being using put a big dent in about £300 I seem to think. What I would like to lay my hands on would be one of the two recorders here. Being solid state they wouldn't suffer the problem of a head-crash on the 3" laptop hard drive of the Archos when it gets bounced around.
Phil
Group Observer East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists (EKAM)
Smiling Assassin

Postby faboka » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Mate bought one of these a few months back. Nice little camera. Regarding the frame rates you was told to use a faster card but dont think he got round to getting one.
John
faboka

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am

FWIW, apparently the same thing but significantly cheaper (and this is one of the more'expensive' ones on e-Bay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spy-cam-SpyCam-Mi ... 3a56a05456
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Ching! :D

I shall report in due course.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TiJay » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I use an ATC 3K for karting (a bit overpriced at £100, I bought mine cheap off a friend) and it happily does 30fps at 480p. For in car use, I strap my old LG Viewty (same res and framerate) to the rear view mirror and the quality surpasses any reasonably priced action camera out there!

My friend recently bought a Countour HD for his motorbike, which looks fantastic but is pricey at £250ish. I've attached some piccies for comparison:

^ ATC 3K (£100 RRP)

^ LG Viewty (£80ish RRP now?)

^ Contour HD (pic stolen from Youtube so horribly compressed, RRP £240)
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am

Horse wrote:FWIW, apparently the same thing but significantly cheaper (and this is one of the more'expensive' ones on e-Bay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spy-cam-SpyCam-Mi ... 3a56a05456

Update: apparently not quite the same thing; plastic case, different switches - but same 'guts' so image quality should be the same.
Horse

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum