Learning at age 11 - good idea or not?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:25 pm

It's not long ago that there was a news item about the [negative] attitude of existing drivers to learners.

Now I'm sure that everyone here would be patient with a learner, but the ADIs and observers with nervous associates will be familar with the situation where another driver is crawling over your bumper.

Surely any measure that gives novice drivers a degree of car control that will reduce the inconvenience to other road users has to be a good thing for everyone?

For anyone with a child approaching 17, PGL do a "learner driver" week, with 6 half days doing driving related activities and 6 half days doing normal PGL activities. The driving stuff mostly includes the non driving stuff you now need (highway code, basic mechanics) but you get 3 hours in a typical driving school car and at the end of the week they claim you'll be able to do basic manoeuvring, stop, hill start etc. This for a £40-50 premium over the usual (steep) PGL cost.
Angus

Postby Daaave » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 pm

I was driving tractors by the time I was 11. I had been riding along with my Dad and as soon as I was big enough to press the pedals that was it, we didn't have much choice as extra hands on the farm were always useful.

In that circumstance I was missing a lot of the hazards you will find on the road, but this was probably balanced to an extent by the other hazards that were specific to the farm and the fact that the tractor was a massive lumbering beast with lots of power. The responsibility of this massive machine was constantly impressed on me by my parents.

I also drove pick up trucks and cars around and the day I was allowed out on the road I couldn't wait. My Dad made sure that my enthusiasm didn't get the better of me and I only needed about 5 lessons before I was ready for the test. I did fail first time around though for bad habits, but I was glad of all the experience I'd had on the farm.
Daaave

Postby jcochrane » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Daaave wrote:I was driving tractors by the time I was 11. I had been riding along with my Dad and as soon as I was big enough to press the pedals that was it, we didn't have much choice as extra hands on the farm were always useful.

In that circumstance I was missing a lot of the hazards you will find on the road, but this was probably balanced to an extent by the other hazards that were specific to the farm and the fact that the tractor was a massive lumbering beast with lots of power. The responsibility of this massive machine was constantly impressed on me by my parents.

I also drove pick up trucks and cars around and the day I was allowed out on the road I couldn't wait. My Dad made sure that my enthusiasm didn't get the better of me and I only needed about 5 lessons before I was ready for the test. I did fail first time around though for bad habits, but I was glad of all the experience I'd had on the farm.

My experience was similar. Even before I was 4 I was allowed to cycle wherever I wanted unsupervised. I also had the advantage of riding motor bikes and tractors off road and if I'm honest on the lanes just as soon as I could reach the controls. Prior to that, as a toddler, I would sit on the farmers lap and steer the tractor. Later to shift gear on command as the clutch was depressed for me. As soon as I was old enough for a car licence my father bought me driving lessons as a present. After the first of these the instructor informed my father that further lessons were a waste of money and that I should put in for the test immediately. Which I did and passed first time and the test was even shortened.

Do I think you can start to learn too early? Definitely not . The earlier the better is my experience.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby fungus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Daaave wrote:I was driving tractors by the time I was 11. I had been riding along with my Dad and as soon as I was big enough to press the pedals that was it, we didn't have much choice as extra hands on the farm were always useful.

My experience was similar. Even before I was 4 I was allowed to cycle wherever I wanted unsupervised. I also had the advantage of riding motor bikes and tractors off road and if I'm honest on the lanes just as soon as I could reach the controls. Prior to that, as a toddler, I would sit on the farmers lap and steer the tractor. Later to shift gear on command as the clutch was depressed for me. As soon as I was old enough for a car licence my father bought me driving lessons as a present. After the first of these the instructor informed my father that further lessons were a waste of money and that I should put in for the test immediately. Which I did and passed first time and the test was even shortened.

Do I think you can start to learn too early? Definitely not . The earlier the better is my experience.

Ah the good old days before all this health & safety. :)

I remember my brother driving tractors on the local farm from about fourteen years of age. When I was at senior school we had two cars that we used to do simple repairs to. We were also taught to pull away and change gear up and down through the box. One of the cars was IIRC an old Morris 8, and the other an old late 40s early 50s Daimler with a pre- selector gear box. I remember one day one of the lads spinning the Morris 180 degrees and the science master who was teaching us scratching his bald head and saying, "Well lads I'm glad that happened. I can now tell you how to deal with a rear end slide." To be honest I don't think he was glad, and the lad got out of the car looking rather pale, much to the amusement of the rest of us. My brother used to take me on some gravel tracks which served several farms localy. Consequently I only needed ten lessons, took my test and passed first time.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby 44 Tonnes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:59 am

I got my first car (Triumph Herald, cost £5) on a farm track at age 11. Promptly put a perfect V in the bonnet and front bumper by braking too late and trying to steer at the same time on a very slippery muddy track. Lesson learned: "Don't do that again"!

I then went on to have numerous other vehicles on the farm before taking my agricultural tractor test age 16.

After some 34 years of on road driving, quite literally from Minis, to Rolls Royce, to 44 tonne 6 axle artics, I've never had an at fault accident.

I absolutely consider it was my early learning of car control, then getting used to on road driving at the heady maximum speed of 18 mph! that has led to this.

Jonathan
DSA ADI. RoSPA Gold. LGV C+E
44 Tonnes

Postby ROG » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:20 am

44 Tonnes wrote:I absolutely consider it was my early learning of car control, then getting used to on road driving at the heady maximum speed of 18 mph! that has led to this.

Jonathan

I agree there - already being able to use the controls leaves more time for the thinking aspect of driving - the downside could be that the learner goes on a shorter course and the advantage is lost...
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum